Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The annual gang-banger recruitment drive and training exercise known as the Mother Cabrini feast is going on over at SCCC in Brentwood and it has me craving those little powdered-sugar-coated fat pills. But I'd rather hit myself in the head with a door than go through those gates.

Anybody know of anyplace local that makes a decent zeppole on the Island? I know a couple of places in the Bronx, but I'm not driving that far just for a hunk of deep-fried pizza dough.

Reactions: Nick76

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
I've got an old recipe from my grandmother that we use and they come out better than the ones you get at the feast or any pizzeria. It's a fairly simple dough then deep fry at 375F. I'll post it later if you're interested.

The key is using active block yeast and a 50-50 blend of flour and Yukon gold potatoes, by WEIGHT.

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,384 Posts
I've got an old recipe from my grandmother that we use and they come out better than the ones you get at the feast or any pizzeria. It's a fairly simple dough then deep fry at 375F. I'll post it later if you're interested.

The key is using active block yeast and a 50-50 blend of flour and Yukon gold potatoes, by WEIGHT.

Sent from my Nexus 5
I am interested!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
The annual gang-banger recruitment drive and training exercise known as the Mother Cabrini feast is going on over at SCCC in Brentwood and it has me craving those little powdered-sugar-coated fat pills. But I'd rather hit myself in the head with a door than go through those gates.

Anybody know of anyplace local that makes a decent zeppole on the Island? I know a couple of places in the Bronx, but I'm not driving that far just for a hunk of deep-fried pizza dough.
I love how this started and I felt the same way with the Italian feast in port washington.

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
I would love to get the recipe, I haven't gotten yelled at since I made 15lbs of beef jerkey in wifes oven...A recipe from Pauly fu....

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
  • 650g all purpose flour
  • 380g yukon gold or white potatoes
  • 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 20g block yeast
  • 1 cup warm (not hot) water
  • Stand mixer with bread hook
  • Potato ricer
  • Deep fryer
Prep
  1. Boil potatoes with skins on until they are soft enough to mash. Set aside to cool.
  2. Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup of the warm water for 10 minutes.
  3. Add flour, salt and sugar to the mixer bowl. Mix slightly to evenly disperse the salt and sugar.
  4. Once cool, peel potato skins by hand. Doesn't need to be perfect.
  5. Place peeled potatoes into ricer and squeeze into mixing bowl.
  6. Add yeast water and mix on low speed.
  7. Add remaining water while slowly mixing. (You may want to reserve a bit of the water and check the consistency before adding it all. Consistency should be looser than pizza dough and very sticky, but should not be a liquid.)
  8. Place in a bowl with room to expand 3x, cover the bowl with plastic wrap not touching the dougn, and set aside somewhere warm (80F - 90F) for 30 minutes or until ready
Cooking
  1. Heat oil to 360 - 375F.
  2. Using 2 spoons, drop dough into oil in desired sizes. Recommended 1.2" - 2" pieces of dough. Try to let it drip in if that makes sense, don't drop it in as a ball. You want the zeppole to be elongated, it will cook better with more surface area.
  3. Repeat step 2 while there is still room in the fryer, do not overcrowd.
  4. Cook for 1.5 - 3 minutes on 1 side, then flip over and cook for the same amount of time.
  5. Evacuate to a baking sheet covered in paper towel to dry for a minute.
  6. I like to serve them in paper lunch bags with powdered sugar. The bags absorb any excess oil and its easy to drop some sugar then shake the bag for perfect coating.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, 2 things when deep frying:
1. DO NOT USE THE BASKET. You will end up with a mess.
2. Its best if you can find a deep fryer without exposed coils, so you can use less oil. I use about 2" of oil in mine, and the dough drops to the bottom before floating back up. If there is an exposed coil it will stick and burn.

If no deep fryer is available, you can use a wide bottom pot and an oil thermometer.

Reactions: mickeyblueyes

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
  • 650g all purpose flour
  • 380g yukon gold or white potatoes
  • 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 20g block yeast
  • 1 cup warm (not hot) water
  • Stand mixer with bread hook
  • Potato ricer
  • Deep fryer
Prep
  1. Boil potatoes with skins on until they are soft enough to mash. Set aside to cool.
  2. Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup of the warm water for 10 minutes.
  3. Add flour, salt and sugar to the mixer bowl. Mix slightly to evenly disperse the salt and sugar.
  4. Once cool, peel potato skins by hand. Doesn't need to be perfect.
  5. Place peeled potatoes into ricer and squeeze into mixing bowl.
  6. Add yeast water and mix on low speed.
  7. Add remaining water while slowly mixing. (You may want to reserve a bit of the water and check the consistency before adding it all. Consistency should be looser than pizza dough and very sticky, but should not be a liquid.)
  8. Place in a bowl with room to expand 3x, cover the bowl with plastic wrap not touching the dougn, and set aside somewhere warm (80F - 90F) for 30 minutes or until ready
Cooking
  1. Heat oil to 360 - 375F.
  2. Using 2 spoons, drop dough into oil in desired sizes. Recommended 1.2" - 2" pieces of dough. Try to let it drip in if that makes sense, don't drop it in as a ball. You want the zeppole to be elongated, it will cook better with more surface area.
  3. Repeat step 2 while there is still room in the fryer, do not overcrowd.
  4. Cook for 1.5 - 3 minutes on 1 side, then flip over and cook for the same amount of time.
  5. Evacuate to a baking sheet covered in paper towel to dry for a minute.
  6. I like to serve them in paper lunch bags with powdered sugar. The bags absorb any excess oil and its easy to drop some sugar then shake the bag for perfect coating.
Thank you for the recipe. This made me hungry and reminded me of my grandmother.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Forgot to mention, 2 things when deep frying:
1. DO NOT USE THE BASKET. You will end up with a mess.
2. Its best if you can find a deep fryer without exposed coils, so you can use less oil. I use about 2" of oil in mine, and the dough drops to the bottom before floating back up. If there is an exposed coil it will stick and burn.

If no deep fryer is available, you can use a wide bottom pot and an oil thermometer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.