Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year my County up here in NE PA holds a field day to expose youth to outdoor activities. The Pennsylvania Game Commission and Fisheries and Boat Commission along with local Gun Clubs set up hands on activities for the kids. There was Fly Fishing, Kayaking, Compass course and Tree stand displays along with (GASP) SHOOTING!

Another club set up a Trap and let the kids shoot a 410 at clay birds. My club was tasked with the 22 rifle part. I volunteered when I learned about the activities and as a new member generally was limited to painting targets and loading magazines.

Most field days only set up 22 rifle. But my club included an Airsoft Range complete with a fully auto AR replica. And a pistol course. Yes that's right, pistols. I hung around the pistol table to load mags and paint the metal targets, as kids, some of them barely higher than the table, were allowed to shoot 22 pistols at metal plates. Safety was stressed and many times the instructor had to hold the gun up to allow the kids to shoot. We had plenty of 22 (Some of it from the NSSF) so some of the kids were allowed to shoot again. One runt kept getting back in line, he could barely hold up the gun but wanted to keep shooting. He was a source of great amusement but was enjoying himself.

When the day was over I was sitting with members of the club and volunteered that in NY State we would all be in jail by now.

Imagine! Allowing kids to shoot real guns! The horror. Soccer moms all over LI would have to have their meds increased if they learned that their little darlings were allowed shoot guns! Cuomo would pass a law at midnight! Newspapers would mention Columbine and Sandy Hook. The republic would collapse!

PA may be poor and full of FSA people , but it does have some things to recommend it.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
I fired my first real gun at such a Pennsylvania Game Commission-National Hunting and Fishing Day event as a kid.

It started a life-long love affair.

THIS is how we can one kid at a time change the narrative, and turn back the the tide of anti-gun fear mongering. Beats yard signs, bumper stickers, bus trips, and angry rants on the web every time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.