Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the sportsman restriction has been beat to death and here is another question. Forgive me if this has already been covered and I don't have my Suffolk County PD handbook handy for reference. Does the sportsman restriction only allow for hunting and target shooting? Does "Sportsman" imply that other recreational activities such as hiking and fishing are allowed or are they specifically denied?

·
Grand Poobah
21,170 Posts
Here's a link to the handbook:
http://apps.suffolkcountyny.gov/police/forms/Pistol%20License%20Handbook%20PDCS-4000.pdf

Page 6 describes the sportsman restrictions.
It's a pdf file and you can download it if you want to.

You can not take a firearm hiking or fishing.
It is very clear that you can carry for target shooting and engaging in lawful hunting activities only.

I pasted it below. The pdf file is easier to read.

SPORTSMAN - (Premise/Dwelling, Target and Hunting) - A Sportsman endorsement entitles a licensee to possess a firearm within his/her home for the purpose of home protection, at a designated firing range for the purpose of target shooting, and in the field while actively engaged in lawful hunting.
Firearms may only be transported between your residence and an authorized target shooting range and/or a legal hunting area in New York State.

For the purpose of hunting, you are reminded that you must also possess a valid New York State hunting license and comply with DEC hunting regulations.
When carrying a firearm in accordance with the above restrictions, the handgun must be carried concealed except when in the field hunting or on the target range for the purpose of target shooting.

A Sportsman license will be canceled if you relocate to another state. If you relocate outside the five western towns of Suffolk County but continue to reside in New York State your records can be transferred to the appropriate licensing agency upon payment of the requisite transfer fee.

For the purpose of firearm training: a pistol license holder who has a valid Hunter Safety Education Instructor Certificate issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and/or is a National Rifle Association of America certified instructor and is instructing a firearm safety class, may possess for demonstration purposes, a licensed firearm.
An instructor, if carrying a licensed firearm, must have in their possession while traveling to, during and from the training class, documentation showing the type, location and time of the class scheduled and proof of their instructor certification.

NOTE: Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non- 7 target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. In the event a licensee does choose to break for a refreshment and/or meal, they are responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of their firearms

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
depending on where you are hiking. If you are upstate some where hiking in real country cool the local sheriffs dept and ask. Tell them you have a Suffolk issued license. It is a new york state handgun license with carry restrictions regulated by your issuing county. If you can't carry while hunting on long island, but you can other places in the state. One would think that each county laws differ. County law enforcement agencys seem to have the authority to give you the thumbs up or down. Most upstate sheriffs are pro 2A.

Reactions: 100MPG

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
IMO get a utah out of state carry and a Pennsylvania go on vacation, camping, hiking, fishing and other in states that respect your rights. Keep NY for hunting trips. Remember Coumo the **** does not want you here any ways.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
if your hunting or have some type of range set up. If it is a carry county and local law enforcement is ok with it then yes. If you happen to cross paths with a NY state trooper you might have a problem, at minimum you can say that the local county PD gave you the go approval.

Sell off your 115 acres in NY and buy in vermont New Hampshire or Pennsylvania. Then you can be free to enjoy your 2A rights as the founders intended us all to have not just police and the ruling class.

Reactions: RichLegend

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I read the handbook last week. You must store your gun unloaded, and locked up in a metal cabinet. Otherwise you're in big trouble.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
if your hunting or have some type of range set up. If it is a carry county and local law enforcement is ok with it then yes. If you happen to cross paths with a NY state trooper you might have a problem, at minimum you can say that the local county PD gave you the go approval.

Sell off your 115 acres in NY and buy in vermont New Hampshire or Pennsylvania. Then you can be free to enjoy your 2A rights as the founders intended us all to have not just police and the ruling class.
When I had my second home upstate, I inquired about my handguns up there, and was told “they can only be stored at the address on the license when not in your possession”, wtf with that?

·
Registered
6,598 Posts

Yep, my plan, sold off my upstate house years ago, will eventually buy in NH, fuck this place, if I could leave now, I would.

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://apps.suffolkcountyny.gov/police/forms/Pistol License Handbook PDCS-4000.pdf

It is very clear that you can carry for target shooting and engaging in lawful hunting activities only.

SPORTSMAN - (Premise/Dwelling, Target and Hunting) - A Sportsman endorsement entitles a licensee to possess a firearm within his/her home for the purpose of home protection, at a designated firing range for the purpose of target shooting, and in the field while actively engaged in lawful hunting.
Firearms may only be transported between your residence and an authorized target shooting range and/or a legal hunting area in New York State.

For the purpose of hunting, you are reminded that you must also possess a valid New York State hunting license and comply with DEC hunting regulations.
When carrying a firearm in accordance with the above restrictions, the handgun must be carried concealed except when in the field hunting or on the target range for the purpose of target shooting.

A Sportsman license will be canceled if you relocate to another state. If you relocate outside the five western towns of Suffolk County but continue to reside in New York State your records can be transferred to the appropriate licensing agency upon payment of the requisite transfer fee.

For the purpose of firearm training: a pistol license holder who has a valid Hunter Safety Education Instructor Certificate issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and/or is a National Rifle Association of America certified instructor and is instructing a firearm safety class, may possess for demonstration purposes, a licensed firearm.
An instructor, if carrying a licensed firearm, must have in their possession while traveling to, during and from the training class, documentation showing the type, location and time of the class scheduled and proof of their instructor certification.

NOTE: Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non- 7 target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. In the event a licensee does choose to break for a refreshment and/or meal, they are responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of their firearms
http://apps.suffolkcountyny.gov/police/forms/Pistol License Handbook PDCS-4000.pdf

Is a New York State License different. I found this on the website "CCW licenses within the state fall generally into three (3) distinct categories. The first and most common class issued to residents is for Premise which allows the license holder to own a handgun and be able to take it to the range for sport and competition. The Sportsmen, or Sportsperson class of license permits an individual to transport a handgun to and from his or her residence to a range or area where Hunting is legally permitted in addition to Hiking, Camping and Fishing."

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Is a New York State License different. I found this on the website "CCW licenses within the state fall generally into three (3) distinct categories. The first and most common class issued to residents is for Premise which allows the license holder to own a handgun and be able to take it to the range for sport and competition. The Sportsmen, or Sportsperson class of license permits an individual to transport a handgun to and from his or her residence to a range or area where Hunting is legally permitted in addition to Hiking, Camping and Fishing."
As far as PL400 is concerned there is a class "a" license (dwelling) and "f" license (concealed carry without regard to employment). Some counties applied restrictions to the class f license and limited the concealed carry to hunting and target shooting. Years ago these licenses said class f, concealed carry and they stamped "sportman" or "target" on them. At some point they removed the words "concealed carry", "class f" and started putting class/type sportsman, a classification that does not comply with PL400.

Reactions: rlitman
1 - 18 of 18 Posts