Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Savage. I was led to believe they were low quality etc... Until I bought a cheap-o Savage Axis in .30-06 for a first hunting rifle. They really stand by their statement about accuracy, even that entry level rifle put 3 shots touching at 100yds with Federal Fusion 150gr hunting ammo. When it's time to upgrade, forget Remington, Weatherby, etc, I'm buying another Savage.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I am looking at Savage 14 series right now.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
I recently picked up a Thompson Center venture. Great price (around $500) and sub-MOA out of the box. Comes with an adjustable trigger. I'm very happy with it!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just saw a savage sniper model in 308 for around 900 that was beautiful. Campsite had it in lefty but sold it. Nice muzzle break and super accurate

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Mosin1942 said:
Savage. I was led to believe they were low quality etc... Until I bought a cheap-o Savage Axis in .30-06 for a first hunting rifle. They really stand by their statement about accuracy, even that entry level rifle put 3 shots touching at 100yds with Federal Fusion 150gr hunting ammo. When it's time to upgrade, forget Remington, Weatherby, etc, I'm buying another Savage.
Ditto that for my Savage Stevens in .308: three shots touching with a cold barrel. Don't need anything more than that for hunting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that Savage is an accurate rifle......it is not a beautiful rifle nor does it have a superior action.  I am trying to find something that I can hand down to my kids in 30 years.  If not Savage then what?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Winchester model 70.
It has been called "The Rifleman's Rifle" ... accurate, reliable controlled round feed, and different versions to fit your wallet and aesthetic taste.
I do not own one, but it is probably going to be my next bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I've had good luck with Howa rifles from Legacy International in the past. Same thing as the Vanguard, but a little cheaper (Howa makes them for Vanguard).

They sell them complete with a scope and a pillar bed stock for around $550 I think... Or get the barreled action and order the full bed stock for a little more.

I have one in 223 with the full bed stock, a BSA 4-12x, and the detachable magazine kit; it's a great shooter... If I could afford to shoot 308, I'd have one of those too.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
WildWolf said:
I understand that Savage is an accurate rifle......it is not a beautiful rifle nor does it have a superior action. I am trying to find something that I can hand down to my kids in 30 years. If not Savage then what?
If the rifle is accurate, and reliable, then there must be something superior about it. If your shopping a name that's one thing, if your shopping a shooter, then its another.
If you want to hand something down to the kids, buy a Mauser, or a Swiss K31, pack them both in Cosmoline, and in thirty years they will have something interesting.

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
I never talk anyone out of a Savage, they simply are great rifles.  I do like the Weatherby rifles though.  I shot a Vanguard on several hunting trips and always came home with food!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.