Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember and now its about that time. We test drove the 2011 today and loved it, but felt it was slightly underpowered... not in a big way.. just.. slightly. The 2012 is going to have an additional 70ish HP but with a higher sticker price. Anyone have an unlimited now? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,
Pete

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
All I know is every family should include a Jeep. period!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If your going to buy new, underpowered is not a compromise i would take.
You can usually buy something used that someone has put a lot of work into for a lot less.
Keep looking ;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
TheProfessional said:
If your going to buy new, underpowered is not a compromise i would take.
You can usually buy something used that someone has put a lot of work into for a lot less.
Keep looking ;)
Amen, there is no replacement for displacement.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
the only jeep allowed in my house is my grandsons waler jeep

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Pete, I got lucky and got a really nice used one, a 2003, with only 43k miles on it. (you seen it on my FaceBook page, I believe). the good thing(s) about the older ones is the in-line straight 6 cylinder 4.0L engine. the thing is a beast!!!

is that engine still available these days? if not, maybe get a used one?

I agree with Steve, everyone's gotta have at least one Jeep!! :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
efs685 said:
I'd go for the 11 and get a programmer. You'll have more then 70hp and more cash in the bank.
Wrong! Tuners will only add 10-15 horsepower tops if you're lucky.

I have a 2007 4 door wrangler with the anemic 3.8 V6.
With a mild lift (1.75" spacers) and slightly larger tires (33's) and even with the superchips programmer the truck is slow as poop and gets terrible mileage.

I highly suggest you wait until they change to a different motor or at least add more power.

Otherwise, you can always have a Hemi dropped into any 2007-2011 Wrangler for about $15-$20k out the door.
Plenty of power then. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Have you considered going the used route?

The 2006 and earlier TJs with the inline 6 engine are tanks. Very torqy and reliable as anything.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Vertiviper said:
Have you considered going the used route?

The 2006 and earlier TJs with the inline 6 engine are tanks. Very torqy and reliable as anything.
The 2007-2012 wrangler unlimited is a 4 door wrangler.
The 2006 and older wrangler unlimited is a 2 door with a slightly extended wheelbase and trunk area.

Earlier non-unlimited wranglers are A LOT smaller.
If the OP didn't mention unlimited, then I'd definitely suggest an older jeep.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
i would wait, if it's feeling slightly under powered now it will only feel worse later.  Just imagine when you have more weight in the truck or it loaded down with gear.  It will make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for weighing in everyone.. We are going to wait for the 2012s because they are adding the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 that puts out 290hp (compared to the current 202hp). They are also upgrading the tranny so that should solve the power issue for me. This is going to be our daily driver that will replace a Nissan Altima which is okay but doesn't fit us. We thought about used to save some cash but it would have the smaller engine and Wranglers do a decent job of holding their value so the savings aren't really enough to justify it for us. We need the 4 door and added space for the kid and gear.

@O1SalsaX The hemi sounds nice but that is out of my price range and let's face it.. I have zero jeep/off road experience/general engine knowledge so I'd be the guy at Calverton whose first gun is a Barrett .50. What sort of mileage are you getting? We'll eventually lift it and go for 33/35's but probably not until much later down the road.

@Walt.. I've seen the pictures and that was a score.. What did you pay for that (if you don't mind me asking)?

Now the waiting game... Can't wait to take this thing to the beach.. I don't care if its gonna be winter.

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Pete, roughly 15k. it was the top end of the bracketed value for that year/model/mileage. however, I could eat off any surface in the engine bay, and it was really taken care of by the previous owner. she worked at the dealership I bought it at, and came down to meet me on the day of pick up (I thought that was nice).

she said she was making sure it "found a good home", and told me her husband was deployed overseas and she needed to trade up for a kid-mobile. this was their "fun car" while dating and childless.

it was a total win for me. I got lucky!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Pete,

My truck is currently getting 15-16 mpg city/ 17-19mpg hwy.
The highway mileage really depends if I'm driving into the wind or not. I've gotten as much as 20mpg and as little as 15mpg highway.
City mileage is pretty consistent at 15.5mpg or so.

If you drive a lot and gas mileage is a major concern, a jeep is NOT the right vehicle for you.
Even the older ones got terrible gas mileage even with the 4.0.

I got lucky with my 07 unlimited.
It had the tow package and only in 2007, it included 4.10 gears (same as the rubicon model).
So going to a larger tire size didn't completely kill my mileage.

I also bought my jeep "pre-modded" with a 4" suspension lift, 35" tires, a full safari rack, etc..
We ended up putting most of it back to stock and sold the parts.
4" lift just isnt necessary, especially for 35" tires. Those will fit stock or with 1 3/4" spacer lift. LOL

Overall the 4 door wrangler has been a great truck for us. Even with an infant it was practical.
The rear-facing car seat fits without issues and allowed plenty of room for our son while not completely killing the passenger leg room.

If you want any more specific info, drop me a PM.

Good luck.
btw.. 2012's will be $$$$.
The Rubicon model unlimited wranglers are around $38k. :(

·
Registered
386 Posts
O1SalsaX said:
Wrong! Tuners will only add 10-15 horsepower tops if you're lucky.

I have a 2007 4 door wrangler with the anemic 3.8 V6.
With a mild lift (1.75" spacers) and slightly larger tires (33's) and even with the superchips programmer the truck is slow as poop and gets terrible mileage.

I highly suggest you wait until they change to a different motor or at least add more power.

Otherwise, you can always have a Hemi dropped into any 2007-2011 Wrangler for about $15-$20k out the door.
Plenty of power then. ;)
Bolded for truth, but I think the 70+ HP # comes from the combined tuner plus Pentastar 3.6...not the tuner by itself. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.