Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· airbrushart
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In silly NY would a Mag-na-Ported barrel be legal, there are no threads on the barrel, have an idea and was looking to what LIF AR guys think.

· Banned
6,368 Posts
Ported barrels are fine in NY. There is no seperate muzzle device.

· airbrushart
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That in thinking as well, my idea is using a threaded barrel with a muzzle brake tig welded then grind to the same contour as the barrel would have no separate lines between the barrel & the brake, it would look like its one piece, the threaded barrel while still threaded would be impossible to tell without destroying both the barrel & muzzle brake.

· Banned
19,459 Posts
That in thinking as well, my idea is using a threaded barrel with a muzzle brake tig welded then grind to the same contour as the barrel would have no separate lines between the barrel & the brake, it would look like its one piece, the threaded barrel while still threaded would be impossible to tell without destroying both the barrel & muzzle brake.
I don't think you'll have any luck with that since the ID of the brake is too close to the OD of the barrel which would leave you too thin a section.

You can keep the inside of the barrel from burring while you mill slots in it by filling it with cerromelt or hard solder if you use flood coolant, or you can slug it with 50/50.

· airbrushart
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I disagree, I tig sheet metal all the time, so putting a small bevel on both pieces weld together then grind the barrel and brake would not be to thin. I have several barrels & brakes will try my idea.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
If I understand your question, no, it would not be legal on a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine. A ported would be considered a compensator.

"[background=inherit]Assault weapon[/background]" means
(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a thumbhole stock;
(iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
(v) a bayonet mount;
(vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded
barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or
muzzle compensator;
(vii) a grenade launcher; or

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.