Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell desk top and HP laptop with Windows 8.1. Maybe it's 8.1 Vista,Me95. Not sure (just kidding) it's 8.1.

I keep getting messages
" Microsoft recommends that you reserve your copy of Windows 10.
For a limited time we are offering a FREE upgrade to Windows 10. Learn more."

Does anyone know why? Or more importantly shoul;d I do the upgrade?
I'm scared of different Windows OS because of that total POS Vista that I had.
XP worked fine for me then they screwed it up.
Vista sucked more than a Bill Clinton intern.
Windows 8 sucks too but nothing compared to VISTA.

Has anyone upgraded?
Is it good? Should I do it?
Can I still use old Excel and Office files?

Most importantly, will it make my LIF experience better?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Windows upgrades generally suck, you are migrating old problems to a new system. Clean installs are always better even if you have to reinstall all software.
I almost, almost clicked the upgrade button on the laptop my wife uses but then realized that I will spend more time listening to her beeching and moaning about computers than usual.
I wouldn't do it unless it's a clean install. And maybe not even then. I hate the tile interface, and have hated it since I first saw it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Mad Russian sounds mad! ;-) I did it on my gaming box. It was almost flawless. Some mother board monitoring software that allowed me to quickly change some setting started to spaz out, and since it was really a gimmick anyway, I deleted said software and the system runs great. Much better than Win8. But if you like Win7, it will take a little getting used to with new words used, such as "Apps" instead of programs etc.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
May take some getting used to, but I say go for it. I went from 7 to 10 and I have to say I think it runs better.

When you do the upgrade you can pick and choose what to migrate, or select the "don't keep anything" option which is essentially a clean install. I haven't had any compatibility problems yet. Was pretty happy that all my development software ran without issues.

As part of the install it creates a backup folder (windows.old i think) that contains everything from your old install so that you can get stuff back if something didn't work. Once you're happy it's running ok, run disk cleanup to free up that space, it will probably be a couple of gigs at least.

ETA: Mad Russian, you don't have to use the tile interface. by default the start menu is a hybrid of the tiles and the old start menu, it's not too bad. Classic shell makes the start menu perfect though.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
I know that I don't have to use the interface, but I also know that if something isn't broken why fix it?

The best way to upgrade, if you must, is to buy another drive and image the current system to the second drive, remove the original drive, install the new drive and upgrade from it. This way if things go sideways the original drive is there for you to put things back the way they were. Hardware is cheap, no reason not to do it considering the cost in time to recover from a failed upgrade.

Internal hard drive: http://www.microcenter.com/product/334293/Barracuda_1TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_III_6Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_ST3100005N1A1AS

Hard drive duplicator:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/432468/Hard_Disk_Drive_Duplicator_and_Dual_SATA_Dock

Cloning software:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

There are a lot of ways to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ive got 5 computers, running 7 and 8.1. I'm upgrading one at a time. Windows 10 is more like 7. It has a desktop and a start button.

I miss XP.

Windows 8.0 and 8.1 is this generation's version of MS BOB.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did it and I like Windows 10.
Cortana is a cool function too. It's better than Siri on the iPhone. There are a lot of things in Windows 10 that I think are genuinely better than some previous versions. But it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My wifes Toshiba laptop died about a month ago. We have the tech support from Best Buy. Turned out there was an issue with the memory. Got it fixed and she had them install the free upgrade. It lasted two days and she went back to 7. She hated it. Im running 7 in my laptop and after seeing how 10 is set up I think Im keeping what I have. I know eventually this computer will die and I'll have to buy another one but I'll deal with 10 at that point. Too much work to learn a whole new system.

It seems most of the aggravation comes from using Explorer anyway. Once I switched to Chrome it worked much better.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
OK.... Here it is straight from a Microsoft software sales rep we have in our motorcycle club. He's a rep for Microsoft, not BestBuy or something like that.

Windows 10 is coming and it will be here to stay. There will not be an "11" and "12". Only updates for 10 from that point forward.

In addition, amongst the forty something page agreement we will all click "yes" to is a bunch of private things you will allow Microsoft to have access to unless you go into your settings and specifically say "no" to.

And that's about it.

I've been told get 10 now or get it later. I haven't got it yet.

Paul

Edit: http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/technology/windows-10-privacy/index.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.