Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to someone the other day about firearms and he mentioned getting a C&R license. I really don't know much about them. Of what advantage would a curio and relic license be to me? If I had one, would I be able to bypass Jerry and get a handgun shipped directly to my door provided its more than 50 years old? Does NY even recognize it? Waste of money? Should I just become a Glock Armoroer instead?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
C&R in NY is only good for long guns over 50 years old. If you collect rifles, they can be shipped right to your door. This isn't designed to be a dealer so multiple sales would be an issue but occasisional sales are not.
The C&R does apply to pistols in most states, just not NY.

Downside, ATF reserves the right to inspect your paper work, which is little more than a record of what you bought and sold using your C&R. I would recommend 2 safes, one for your C&R items and one for your other items. If they want to inspect, they inspect the C&R safe.

It's not difficult to get, fill out the paper work, mail it in with the fee, the copy goes to the local PD and in 3 months a packet should arrive and you are good to go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had mine for 32 years and did not renew. The Safe Act makes it relatively useless. I did get a visit about a year or two after I received it (early 80's), however ATF did call first and set up an appointment.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
With a C&R you can buy relics out of state, but if you buy in NY up you need to go through a FFL, correct?

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
So I called the NYSP (un)SAFE help line. They told me that the C&R FFL 03 license "is made essentially useless in NY by the SAFE Act" and that I have to send any C&R rifle purchases, inside or outside of NY, to a FFL for a background check.

Well that just sucks! I guess I will let my 03 expire when the time comes!!!!

Reactions: gopedxr7
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.