Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After towing my camper around this summer I'm noticing some sag developing in the rear suspension. 6200 lb trailer 700 lb tongue load. I'm using load equalizers and an anti sway bar.  I'm going to add air bags to the leaf springs in the rear. Who can do this job on Long Island?

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I had the same problem. Had Air Bags installed by WES Trailers in Wading River.
631-727-5852. I purchased the air bag system from Firestone (online) WES just installed them.

·
I'm begging to be banned!
1,135 Posts
WES Trailers is good people, went to school with one of the sons of the owner. Good kid.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Add:

Richie's Truck and Auto- Diesel mechanic in Hicksville(did mine) Bloomingdale Rd 516-680-7377 Richie

TNT Conversions- custom 4 wheel drive lifts/work in Bohemia 631-383-3324 Leo

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve936 said:
Add:

Richie's Truck and Auto- Deisel mechanic in Hicksville(did mine) Bloomingdale Rd 516-680-7377 Richie

TNT Conversions- custom 4 wheel drive lifts/work in Bohemia 631-383-3324 Leo
I'm next door to Richie's LOL I'll walk over and ask him. Thats funny

·
Registered
297 Posts
He has a day job. I think he's only there in the afternoon and evenings. Good guy. He's very reasonable and knowledgable.

He did airbags w/ on-board air supply(tank/compressor) for me on my Cummins.

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve936 said:
He has a day job. I think he's only there in the afternoon and evenings. Good guy. He's very reasonable and knowledgable.

He did airbags w/ on-board air supply(tank/compressor) for me on my Cummins.
I own the business next door I know him well but for some reason he never came to mind. I found it funny that Richies is 10 feet away and I never thought of him. I know his hours all I have to do is look out my door to see when his truck shows up. I'll keep an eye out for him and walk over later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just installed Firestone airbags, on-board compressor and digital controller on my Toyota Tundra... It was very easy to do. I installed them for the same reason as you (towing camper, sagging, etc.). Just don't think that the airbags will replace the weight distribution setup that you have. The weight distribution does exactly what it says... Distributes weight to the front wheels, the airbags do not. I figured I would be able to pump up the bags and back off on the number of links on my WD bars... WRONG!!! I had some wicked "white knuckling" with my wife and kids in the truck not long after getting on the LIE. I lowered the pressure in the bags down to 18lbs and went back to my normal "4-links hanging" on my WD... Smooth as a baby's bottom! They definitely firm things up and make it a more comfortable towing experience.

·
Registered
297 Posts
foxfire said:
I own the business next door I know him well but for some reason he never came to mind. I found it funny that Richies is 10 feet away and I never thought of him. I know his hours all I have to do is look out my door to see when his truck shows up. I'll keep an eye out for him and walk over later. Thanks again.
Small world.

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve936 said:
Add:

Richie's Truck and Auto- Diesel mechanic in Hicksville(did mine) Bloomingdale Rd 516-680-7377 Richie
Richie did mine today. Real nice clean great job. Firestone air bags with an onboard compressor. They appear to work great now with no load just bringing the PU bed back to level. The real test is next week when we tow the camper out of Rehoboth De. to East Stoudsburg Pa. About a 200 mile ride the air bags will get a real test then.

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ipoundrail said:
I just installed Firestone airbags, on-board compressor and digital controller on my Toyota Tundra... It was very easy to do. I installed them for the same reason as you (towing camper, sagging, etc.). Just don't think that the airbags will replace the weight distribution setup that you have. The weight distribution does exactly what it says... Distributes weight to the front wheels, the airbags do not. I figured I would be able to pump up the bags and back off on the number of links on my WD bars... WRONG!!! I had some wicked "white knuckling" with my wife and kids in the truck not long after getting on the LIE. I lowered the pressure in the bags down to 18lbs and went back to my normal "4-links hanging" on my WD... Smooth as a baby's bottom! They definitely firm things up and make it a more comfortable towing experience.
You were 100% right. I picked up my camper thursday. hooked up with everything set as it was with the new air bags. The ride was terrible. The car and trailer were bucking and kicking. I had to pee every 5 miles. I lowered the pressure and couldn't stop the bucking. A little analytical thinking and I pulled over, if the air bags raised the back of the truck I needed to take up another link on the load levelers to compensate. We pulled in to the Pa welcome center. I had to drop the jack to raise the truck and tongue to be able to take out a link and Voila it worked. Smooth sailing for the last 150 miles. I only wish I was smarter before the first 100 miles. :) :)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
+1  for truck shop in sayville... good place with lots of neat goodies, im sure they can handle anything you may need

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Call John at TAG. Let him know you know me. 631-475-1838

They send them out, but at least you will get the right connection on who does them for all their RV sales..

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I was heavily into trailering.   It takes a while to get the WD hitch just right, but they do work.   I was towing 6800 lbs with my 1500 GMC truck.   no air bags, no problems.    My friends tows 10,000 lbs with his 1500 Chevy truck, which is crazy, but he does it.  no air bags.   Just heavy WD bars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.