Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into getting my pistol permit and I was just curious who you all were using for references. I don't really know anyone that has a permit that I could ask and I'm not sure how to approach asking. Are most people okay with being a reference or does the whole gun thing tend to freak people out? I know you have to know them over a year and they must be a suffolk resident, a lot of my friends are in Nassau since I'm right on the border but I don't know if I should just go asking the neighbors or people I'm not super close with.

Thanks for any input!

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Too bad you didn't become a member sooner.
You would have gotten to know a lot of people that would have been happy to sign your application so you could exercise your right.

If I were you I'd talk to some neighbors.
I'm sure there are lots of sheep in the area that the [whole gun thing tends to freak out] but look at it has a good way to know which neighbors you don't want as friends.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Start helping a few neighbors do things around there houses, let them get to know you and then wait for the right time and ask.

·
Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life
3,453 Posts
If you maintain any long standing business relationships , you can ask these people ....for example auto repair mechanic you've been using for years ..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm not really in a rush and have a wedding around the corner, so maybe I'll hang around here and start shooting some more and make some connections.

I don't think I'd really feel comfortable asking the neighbors where I am now, few months ago there was a break in a few doors down, and I know where they all stand on gun issues, but my neighbors where I grew up would probably not have a problem. I think I have 2 of 4 that I would feel 100% fine asking.

Thanks for all the help. This seems like a great community and I will definitely be posting more.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
does anybody ever get called from the references? My brother, SIL and myself never had anybody call our references ...​

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I asked neighbors and family friends. Problem is getting all this crap individually notarized by each reference...

Multiple people on here generously offered to be references for me as well.
Always have my Notary stamp in my car...have stamp, will travel. A few others on here as well, one less thing to worry about.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
I'm a notary also.

And if you don't have any other options, and need to get one or two more to get your number, use Nassau County references. There is no constitutional way to deny you a firearm because your reference lives on one side of Route 110 rather than another.

I moved into NY as an adult knowing no one. I got my references from people who casually knew me and who incidentally revealed themselves as gun owners.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input. I can probably think a little harder and find some people. In my mind I always thought it had to be people you were pretty close with but I can probably go outside my circle a little more and find some people.

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,801 Posts
I used coworkers. I have always been open about my hobby at work. I am always the guy that gets approached with questions about guns or info on getting their permit.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
My first question is "why"? And my second is what conclusions were drawn, that the AR was superior to the AK??? Well at least he admits that theses are extreme rates of fire that most likely never happen in real world combat. If so youd be SOL and ammo! Heres the mantra...its not a machine gun, its an M16/M4/AK.
I got a guy, $400 just meet me behind the OTB tomorrow night. I'll be in a lowered lime green1996 dodge neon with HUGE exhaust, a whale tail, blue neon lights & 104 HP. Oh & just in case there are other cars like mine I'll be the small Asian woman, light eyes, dark hair, high cheekbones, good overall symmetry & a faux-hawk. Let's get this pistol thing done!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.