Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.  I have an old AR15 lower i would like to get refinished.  Wondering if you all could recommend someone who does nice work.  Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the att-tactical guys looked like a good choice since I live in Deer Park.  That is until I read this at the bottom of there site "ATT-TACTICAL DOES NOT SELL TO OR DEAL WITH THE CIVILIAN MARKET, INDIVIDUALS, OR FFL DEALERS.".....  As for the rattle can sure it would work but if i wanted it to look like crap id leave it the way it is lol.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I'm not sure if that's just for items they sell. I may give them a call tomorrow and ask. I saw a gun they did and it was for an individual, so maybe things changed.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,287 Posts
Get avore brownells sells it.  Decent stuff, better then krylon.  The colors look nothing like the color chart

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Brownells Alumahyde works well also. I did my PSL and it still looks good 2 years later.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mandrew said:
Pate let me know what they If you call, i just shot them an email also.

Opey, what kind of paint would/did you use?
well u want something tough and able to withstand heat.. so something from rustoleum i would say. theres also lines of high heat paint that can be used on everything from bbq's to engine exhaust manifolds.. prep is the real key to painting anything though, scuff old finish, make sure its absolutely clean and free of all oils, including from your hands.. once u clean it dont touch any area to be painted with bare hands. and multiple light coats are always better than few heavy coats

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
BBQ paint is not chemical resistant. You can Google "home anodizing", and consider if it's worth the effort.

Glass beading would probably be the best way to remove the old finish.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is a pre-ban Eagle Arms Inc. (89') lower that has seen some use.  I would like to refinish to cover some of the wear marks and make it more black to match the new upper i got for it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so type II anodizing it is then.  Where can i go to have that done? (someone in suffolk county would be great but ill take suggestions for anywhere).  How much about should something like that cost me?

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I just spoke to ATT and they will do civilian work (Only because of the economy). He mentioned that you had sent an email and he sent it to their paint shop for them to contact you for pricing.

Good news....

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
By "old" do you mean preban? Since you can get a NEW postban lower for $70 probably not worth the effort/cost to reanodize.You need to strip the anodize layer before you can bead blast it properly, otherwise the beads will abrade the surface and the anodize will act like a masking layer. BTDT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.