Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new at handguns and would like to know where the cheapest place is to buy a handgun (once Im approved)

I've read that a lot of dealers are rude. In this day and age; people should be happy to make a sale.

G

·
I would recommend Camp-Site Sports Shop in Huntington Station.  I don't know if they are the cheapest, but they are definately good people to deal with.  Very friendly & knowledgable.  I've bought 2 handguns from them in the past year, and will be going back as soon as I can afford a 3rd!!  I was also going to buy an over/under from them, but a co-worker had the same gun that I wanted and sold it to me.  I got it for half of what a new one cost and it was only shot once!!!

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Yeah, some are thoroughly obnoxious...but face it, in this crap-awful economy, the only thing selling are guns. If they piss you off, the next sale is literally 5 minutes away. I've been watching it for months now...since the election. Good luck finding a shop that isn't busy. And good luck finding the gun you're actually looking for. That said, Coliseum Gun Traders in Uniondale (right across from Nassau Coliseum) has the most inventory per square foot of any gun shop I've been to on the Island. Prices are generally OK, and definitely cheaper than some. I just bought a .45 ACP Kimber Tactical Pro II there for $150 less than I saw anywhere else. And no, I don't work there...lol. :X

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 for Camp-site. They are also a Davidsons Gallery of Guns dealer so you can get some good deals. Unfortunately Davidsons doesn't have much stock right now.

Colisiem is a good shop. I've bought a few guns there. The people are knowledgeable and the prices are decent. I've never had a bad experience there. They definately have the most in stock of any gun shop on LI.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I posted on another thread..

South Shore Sportman in Merrick and Hunter sports in Massapequa. Both great shops and great owners.

And NO I don't work for them at all.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
"I've read that a lot of dealers are rude. In this day and age; people should be happy to make a sale."

You've heard right threewishes. I have been in "a few" and they act like they are "God All-Mighties" out here on The Island. I trust with a little time and education from this new forum, most, if not all, will "Open their eyes" and open themselves up to changing that stigma about Long Island firearms dealers. Hey guys (dealers) . . . you know who you are. Lighten up and be more friendly . . . will ya. We are all in this together . . . can't we do better at getting along with our fellow gun owners!? That's been going on for decades here . . . enough already.
Hey . . . so when do we get together and go shooting for some recreation and meeting some of the good folks here. I'm open to suggestions on that kind of get-together.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Sab said:
I posted on another thread..

South Shore Sportman in Merrick and Hunter sports in Massapequa. Both great shops and great owners.

And NO I don't work for them at all.
I agree...both are nice places.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
ecr said:
"I've read that a lot of dealers are rude. In this day and age; people should be happy to make a sale."

You've heard right threewishes. I have been in "a few" and they act like they are "God All-Mighties" out here on The Island. I trust with a little time and education from this new forum, most, if not all, will "Open their eyes" and open themselves up to changing that stigma about Long Island firearms dealers. Hey guys (dealers) . . . you know who you are. Lighten up and be more friendly . . . will ya. We are all in this together . . . can't we do better at getting along with our fellow gun owners!? That's been going on for decades here . . . enough already.
Hey . . . so when do we get together and go shooting for some recreation and meeting some of the good folks here. I'm open to suggestions on that kind of get-together.
That's a good idea...we should get a few of us together and do some shooting, and perhaps a frosty adult beverage afterwards. The more cohesive the local shooting community is, the better off we'll be as the powers that be try and run us all out of the state...if not the country.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
0042. . . "The Powers That Be" are working on that as we speak. Soon my friend. . . soon.

Eric

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
ecr said:
0042. . . "The Powers That Be" are working on that as we speak. Soon my friend. . . soon.

Eric
They certainly are...and for the first time in my life, I'm genuinely afraid that they may actually get their wish.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
I believe you took me the wrong way 0042. I was referring to the forum administrator and those involved are setting up a local shoot so we can all get together in person for a social gathering.
However. . . while you mentioned the other topic, I'll interject my two cents here: When, and if, they try to enforce something as strict as firearms confiscation. . . That is when the new revolution will begin. They know and understand that. They will try "The soft approach". . . which, frankly. . . can be and, most likely, will be a better approach for them and it is what they are trying as we speak! These are dangerous times my friends. Keep an eye on the pulse.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
ecr said:
I believe you took me the wrong way 0042. I was referring to the forum administrator and those involved are setting up a local shoot so we can all get together in person for a social gathering.
However. . . while you mentioned the other topic, I'll interject my two cents here: When, and if, they try to enforce something as strict as firearms confiscation. . . That is when the new revolution will begin. They know and understand that. They will try "The soft approach". . . which, frankly. . . can be and, most likely, will be a better approach for them and it is what they are trying as we speak! These are dangerous times my friends. Keep an eye on the pulse.
Gottcha...just say when and where. I'll be there with bells (and guns) on!

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
We're working on it behind the scenes.   ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
bulldog said:
See Hank at T&T Gunnery in seaford. Has the most knowledge I have seen at any gun store on the island. Coliseum has the best selection but are not as helpful.
+1 for Hank at T&T. Great guy and always got me the best price on guns and gear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its so funny...opinions really are like a**holes. Everyone has got one. :p

My number one pick goes to Mark at Hunter Sports. Always friendly, always helpful and always willing to work on price. Campsite is also very good, so they get my number two pick.

In my opinion, everyone else pretty much sucks...Forget AOS, forget Coliseum...Hank at T&T is a nice guy, but they are WAY overpriced.

The gun dealer "attitude" is not a Long Island phenomenon. Its universal. Texas, Florida, PA, etc. etc. 90% of them tend to be major tools...go figure?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Camp-Site Sports Shop in Huntington Station
I have to agree see Shawn at camp-site great guy to deal with and he won't steer you wrong on what you are looking for .
I pick up last year a mil-spec,MN serial number gun 1911 $599.00
I had many 1911 over the years dating back to the early colts and all I have to say this SA Mil-spec will out shoot all of them.I must have 5,000 rounds threw and not one he-cup
I strip it replace the internals 40oz trigger pull(Range Gun) only

·
Banned
101 Posts
i think i'm the only one on the island who doesn't like hank. When i need help i go to Mike at South Shore. He's a good guy, and if he doesn't know something, he'll grab his laptop and look it up, not bullshit you.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I don't like to knock gun shops but [email protected] (marty) the owner and I go way back and I won't deal with them.I can't say much also for the Outdoorsmans on 110 either.Angelo who owns the shop should of stayed on conklin street the small shop were he first stated out way back in the 70's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased my AR from T&T in Seaford. The guys there were ok. Not overly friendly but also not rude. Basically I purchased there because they were the only ones that had what I wanted at a somewhat decent price. I found Hunter Sports and South Shore Sportsman after the fact, and have to say that both shops are GREAT. They now get 100% of my business between them.

One quick story for you. I brought a friend of mine, who is new to shooting, into both shops to ask questions and check out a few rifles. Both shops spent over 20 mins each with my friend answering questions and pointing him in the right direction. Plus they did this while the stores were fairly busy. Extremely friendly, helpful and just plain old good people.

So theres my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.