Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound a bit stupid, but when I have asked that s question at the SCPD pistol license bureau, I can't get an answer. I want to buy a Volquartsen Scorpion which has a threaded barrel for a compensator. I know I can't have a threaded barrel but Scot Volquartsen has indicated that he can permanently affix the compensator, thus no ability to screw something on or off the barrel.
There should be someone in an official capacity we can write to in NY to ask if a certain configuration is legal and get a written response so we don't get any grief when we buy it. Does such a person exist?

· Registered
38,620 Posts
I don't see why you can't own the gun if it's permanent, but also wouldn't want them to deny you once you have the gun in your possession. I don't think you'll find someone who would write you that letter.

This is the one example where my county wins. They never see the gun and don't seem to care what you add to your license.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
There should be someone in an official capacity we can write to in NY to ask if a certain configuration is legal and get a written response so we don't get any grief when we buy it. Does such a person exist?
bwhahahahahahahhahahahhaa.....now THAT is funny right there

Try penning a letter to Princess Cuomo and let us know how you make out.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
This may sound a bit stupid, but when I have asked that s question at the SCPD pistol license bureau, I can't get an answer. I want to buy a Volquartsen Scorpion which has a threaded barrel for a compensator. I know I can't have a threaded barrel but Scot Volquartsen has indicated that he can permanently affix the compensator, thus no ability to screw something on or off the barrel.
You expect logic, and assistance from a New York Authority on the legality of a handgun in writing?
Careful. They may say you're mentally unfit to own any guns with thinking like that.

Sorry to tease you. But in my dealings with all things bureaucratic in this state to expect anyone in government to do something outside the norm of their everyday bureaucratic lives just doesn't happen often.
Good luck and please let us know if it works out.

· Registered
3,535 Posts
You're on shaky ground but nobody will know for sure until the courts tell us.

The SAFE Act includes as an AW any pistol with "a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender . . . "

Even if the compensator is permanently attached, the fact is it was threaded on before being pinned/soldered and that the compensator may be a barrel extender might be enough to foul you up.

But who knows. God knows what a barrel extender actually is. And whether threads permanently attaching an extender are kosher or not.

· Banned
3,178 Posts
Your best bet may be having them grind down the threading on the barrel?

· Premium Member
6,063 Posts
It really doesn't matter what anyone says. You're at the whim of SCPD. NYSP won't give you a letter. The NYS AG won't give you a letter.

Common sense would say since perm affixed "breaks," "brakes" and compensators are not illegal that you'd be good to go.

They don't care. They'd just rather have you not have the gun at all.

· Premium Member
6,063 Posts
The inability to properly understand how a law works (like the law or not) is a key characteristic of tyranny.
"Inabailty" denotes some lack of competency or failure of comprehension. It's much worse than that.
They fully understand how a law works, how it is implemented and how it should be enforced.

They knowingly refuse to abide by the law and adhere to it. They have and will continue to work to subvert it.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
"Inabailty" denotes some lack of competency or failure of comprehension. It's much worse than that.
They fully understand how a law works, how it is implemented and how it should be enforced.

They knowingly refuse to abide by the law and adhere to it. They have and will continue to work to subvert it.
Not sure I understand you.

Look at all the discussions here since SAFE was passed as to what it means, is this or that allowed, etc etc etc.

And the common answer is: No one really knows until there's a test case for a court to decide.

So how can Joe Average Citizens ever really know they are following the law?

Try it and see if you're arrested and convicted?!

Heck of a way to run a society!

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
The sad truth is likely that the guy(s) who wrote this bill thought he was being very clear.
He or they have no working knowledge of firearms, yet they feel perfectly fine
trying to write the regulations. This is from too much ego and not enough education.
It's no different than asking the electricians to write the plumbing code. A smart electrician would decline to even try.
Only an egocentric moron electrician would be happy regulating plumbers. Not that all politicians are egocentric morons...
but the ones that wrote the 'Safe Act' feel their ears burning right now.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Why not just buy the one without the threaded barrel?

" It is also available without muzzle threads "

I wish I was good enough that a muzzle brake on a .22 made a difference to how I shoot

· Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Not sure I understand you.

Look at all the discussions here since SAFE was passed as to what it means, is this or that allowed, etc etc etc.

And the common answer is: No one really knows until there's a test case for a court to decide.

So how can Joe Average Citizens ever really know they are following the law?

Try it and see if you're arrested and convicted?!

Heck of a way to run a society!
I was just addressing the larger idea that tyrannical governments are well aware of the laws. There is no incompetence or well-intentioned-yet-innocent malfeasance. They choose to subvert, twist, misapply, abuse or ignore them altogether.

· Banned
19,459 Posts
The only "position" you are gonna get from NYSP is the one with you bending over and them...well, nevermind.

The only way you can truly CYA that I can think of is to have the barrel threads turned off and the inside of the comp turned to a diameter that allows an intermediate bushing to press or shrink-fit the barrel to the comp. A good machine shop could do this for you, not sure whether it is within the purview of your normal gunsmith since they likely don't run across this sort of thing too often.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW...great answers. As citizens we should be able to compel them to clarify certain issues. Maybe I will write to my congressman and ask the same question. It would be imprudent for me to buy the weapon for over $1300.00 and then get it rejected when it gets to my FFL dealer.

· Registered
36 Posts
Moosehead, I had the same question. I put in an order for a Volquartsen Scorpion with a 4.5 inch barrel and compensator, then came across a post at a different site questioning whether the barrel might violate NY State law. In searching further, I came across your post. I decided to order the longer 6 inch barrel without the threads and forego the compensator. But the compensator looks really cool (don't think it would make a difference to my shooting either) and I'd love to try your option of welding it on the barrel. Please let us know what you decided and how it went at the SCPD. Personally, I think they would be inclined to lean in the direction of permitting it, since it can't be removed to permit a "silencer" to be screwed on. But as we know from dealing with our silly, useless law, you don't need a threaded barrel to be screwed! : (

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.