Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FITZ
1,004 Posts
It's called a utility pole, It used to be called a tree. I'm a lineman for Verizon actually removing a pole today. We throw old ones into a dumpster and then it's hauled away. I'm doubt you can buy them of if any foreman or management type would let you take one from the dumpster it's just the way they operate. here is a quick link from a Google search
http://www.blpole.com

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
It's called a utility pole, It used to be called a tree. I'm a lineman for Verizon actually removing a pole today. We throw old ones into a dumpster and then it's hauled away. I'm doubt you can buy them of if any foreman or management type would let you take one from the dumpster it's just the way they operate. here is a quick link from a Google search
http://www.blpole.com
Cable beat you in taking down their wires huh?

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
Hampton Jitney in Southhampton used to have piles of them in their yard. Haven't been there in 15 years and don't know what they used them for, but a phone call could provide some info.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Moving a telephone pole without a line truck is not fun. We had some pressure treated poles that were over 1200 lbs.
I like the 6x6 idea better. Still heavy but shorter and lighter.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Moving a telephone pole without a line truck is not fun. We had some pressure treated poles that were over 1200 lbs.
I like the 6x6 idea better. Still heavy but shorter and lighter.
If the length is an issue and you worry about them shifting/moving, you can drill them out at the ends and put in a nice, thick dowel or rebar to hold them together. I did this once with landscape timbers.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
I bought one 30 years ago - was $600. Oh - and it cost me the family wagon too.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I do know the lineman hate the new pressure treated poles. Besides the nasty chemicals, they are harder to climb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.