Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who shoots "out of the box" and who likes to change things to "the way they like them"

·
Registered
278 Posts
I always shoot it a good amount out of the box, see how it feels, then start customizing if I feel the need. The only changes I usually make are sights, triggers, grips and recoil springs (rarely all of these on 1 gun). I think soup to nuts customizing is asking for trouble, but some people love the fully custom and personalized tweaking. Kind of reminds me of trucks, you get your people who customize to no end, and others who just give their own little touch.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to drop mine on the concrete floor in my basement or put a scratch (or 2) on them with a punch or screwdriver. That's how I make them mine!
Good tip! Thanks!

·
Sharp Shooter!
469 Posts
On my glocks and m&ps i paint the letters, #'s and logos white. It looks great and brightens up the guns. I've seen it done in other colors but i like the white. Easy to do and easy to take off if you decide you don't want it any more. great how to videos on youtube.

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
If it's a Glock, I replace the sights with either 10-8 or Heine, do a 25 cent trigger job and install a Ghost Edge connection. I do not modify anything else. I had installed nights sights on H&K as well.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Only trigger job I did was on the shield. It needed it.

Glock sights blow. Big dot was easy to install myself

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,864 Posts
I like to drop mine on the concrete floor in my basement or put a scratch (or 2) on them with a punch or screwdriver. That's how I make them mine!
Just weld it!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I feel the need to personalize all of my stuff, guns included. Personalization is usually a slide cover, grips, &/or paint. As far as customizing my defensive guns, all my Glocks get some modifications:
Ghost trigger connector
Some relief into the trigger guide where the strong hand knuckle rests
Trijicon HD night sights
Half moon cuts into the grip to aid stuck magazine extraction
Extended magazine release

I definitely agree with shooter... All metal guns need wood grips

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Depends on the gun. Classics I pretty much leave alone. All others get sights. Carry guns have stock triggers. Fun guns, I go all out.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
My Shield got Apex trigger kit and night sights; SD9VE got M&P metal sights and some new springs to improve trigger; Sig 226 got the special Sig servicing and Sig night sights (complete teardown, all new springs, lube job and night sights all for $145, a bargain), Beretta 92FS a D spring, Sig P6 got same Sig package two years ago, and my Lahti got a special 100 ft. nylon line tied to the trigger guard so I can use it as a boat anchor if it ever stops shooting.

Reactions: trapshooterbob

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Depends on the gun. Classics I pretty much leave alone. All others get sights. Carry guns have stock triggers. Fun guns, I go all out.
+1 Depends on the gun.

Some guns need more modifications than others......and that's all I'm saying about that.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Custom day-glow green 99 cent nail polish on the sights of my shield. I'm always asked where I got them.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
+1 Depends on the gun.

Some guns need more modifications than others......and that's all I'm saying about that.
I'm going to take a leap and say Glocks? Not really, I like the stock triggers. I seldom like the sights on a factory gun. Again, it depends on use. I have owned heavily modified guns, and carry a Glock and Shield that are stock internally.

Not a call out, just stating that most modern guns don't NEED mods, but the aftermarket has driven people to think they need to mod the hell out of guns. The AR, Glock, and 10/22 aftermarket being the best examples of this. I have owned factory and super modified versions of each. Normally mods make the guns less reliable then they started out.

What I see in the store confirms this. Modified guns have more issues then guns left stock. Regardless of brand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts