Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,577 Posts
Oven cleaner supposedly works well to strip aluminum...takes anodizing off too... but any paint-stripper should do the job.

There is a powdercoating shop just off Allen Blvd. in Farmingdale that will sandblast them for you, they stripped and coated the centers of my wheels for about $85 each (multi-piece wheels)

It's Action Powder Coating
(631) 845-1949
105 Verdi St, #A, Farmingdale, NY

There is also reNu, I have no experience with them, just got their card yesterday... saw some samples that looked good.
www.renupowdercoating.com 105 Alder st. W. Babylon 631-249-7368

and Rainbow Powder Coating I've dealt with them in the past.
(631) 586-4019
49 E Industry Ct, #B, Deer Park, NY

and there is another powdercoat shop in Deer Park -

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Wheel Fix It
55 St. Mary's Pl.
Freeport, NY
(516)825-0600

Never used them but I've heard good things....

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
If you're powder coating stop by ReNu in West Babylon between Edision & Patton Streets, in our shop we use Wheel Fix It in Freeport for complete refinishing, if you just want to strip off paint use paint striper, go to Kemperle and buy industrial stripper not the cheap stuff at the big box stores.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Do NOT under ANY circumstances use citrus based strippers (or lye strippers)on aluminum or magnesioum! Solvent strippers only!
Are you polishing or painting? If painting, OK to glass or sandblast the wheels, which is easier if you soften the old finish with some stripper but contaminates your blast media.

I have a blast cabinet and powdercoat gear available in Huntington, but no oven big enough for wheels.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>>Do NOT under ANY circumstances use citrus based strippers (or lye strippers)on aluminum or magnesioum! Solvent strippers only! <<

what would happen??
any statement like that needs a full explanation .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.