Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to place their best guess what will happen to the NRA in the next few weeks of bankruptcy proceedings

The justice department wants it rejected, another group want Wayne LaPierre gone, and rumors of all new leadership set by the judge

for me, I will continue to support the GOA instead

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,395 Posts
It's my understanding that it's only the NY political players, who want it rejected, not the feds. NY has no legal say in the matter, since bankruptcy, for the purpose of reorganization, automatically puts all pending legislation in limbo and that's what NY does not want. If the NRA reincorporates, in Texas, NY will no longer have any jurisdiction, as it will no longer be a NY incorporated organization. I also believe that will make the politically-based NY lawsuit moot.

Might some judge appoint an interim management team? Yes, it's possible but that team would only exist until the reorganization is complete, after which only the BoD can be changed, by vote of the members and it will be the BoD members, who will decide who will take the reigns of the organization, after the reorganization.

Gary

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's my understanding that it's only the NY political players, who want it rejected, not the feds. NY has no legal say in the matter, since bankruptcy, for the purpose of reorganization, automatically puts all pending legislation in limbo and that's what NY does not want. If the NRA reincorporates, in Texas, NY will no longer have any jurisdiction, as it will no longer be a NY incorporated organization. I also believe that will make the politically-based NY lawsuit moot.

Might some judge appoint an interim management team? Yes, it's possible but that team would only exist until the reorganization is complete, after which only the BoD can be changed, by vote of the members and it will be the BoD members, who will decide who will take the reigns of the organization, after the reorganization.

Gary
the feds objected too

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nra-bankruptcy-texas-new-york-trustee-wayne-lapierre-gun/

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,395 Posts
The feds seem to be objecting to the filed plan for the reorganization, not the concept or legitimacy of reorganization, per:

"The U.S. Department of Justice is objecting to the National Rifle Association's bankruptcy plan, pointing to what the agency says is mismanagement of funds by leaders of the gun advocacy organization."

If there is proof that Mr. LaPierre (and others) did convert corporate funds, for personal use, then he/they would be guilty of embezzlement and that is legitimate grounds for the objection to the proposed reorganization plan (but not for objection to the actual reorganization or reincorporation), since the offered reorganization plan proposes to leave Mr. LaPierre in place, as the CEO. If that proof exists, then Mr. LaPierre (plus any and all other guilty parties) should to be removed from NRA, then placed on trial and, if found guilty, incarcerated. If there is no such proof and this is more political grandstanding, that also needs to be discovered, then dealt with.

I've heard these accusations, concerning misappropriation of funds, from people, who were inside the NRA and whom I regard as credible but, until we have proof in hand, I have to allow the benefit of the doubt, to those charged.

Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Regarding the litigation in NY I have wondered why would LaPierre, for the benefit of the organization, has not devised a succession plan and stepped down. I understand that one is innocent until proven guilty (in a criminal proceeding) or liable (in a civil proceeding). He could take an advisory role while at the same time ending the distraction caused by the litigation with NY. The new leader could then appoint an independent auditor to conduct an audit and take any necessary remedial action which would make their defense from the NY AG stronger.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
The National Rifle Association on Friday voluntarily withdrew a federal lawsuit it filed against New York Attorney General Letitia James in the state capital of Albany, and said it will instead pursue the same claims in a state court in Manhattan.

James had sued the gun rights group last August, seeking its dissolution.

The NRA filed for bankruptcy protection in January in a bid to avoid her lawsuit, but a federal bankruptcy judge ruled last month that it did so improperly.

The attorney general's office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts