Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have at least 1 maybe 1000 racoons shredding my lawn, looking for grubs I assume. Pretty sure I killed the grubs but they must like the dead ones too.
.22 is not an option as the neighbors are too close and this is Nassau County, even though I have woods in the back.
Trapped 1 last year and almost had to fight him off when I let him go in the park.
I have tried several chemical treatments and I swear I could hear them laughing.
Anyone know anything that works?

· Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
The only thing they understand is death!

It has been said here, time and again and it is true... it is illegal to trap them and let them go in another location. You trap them, you kill them. It's legal. It's the way to do it.

Trap them, take them in your garage, put a .22 pellet in their head, put them in a trash bag and put it out for the garbage men.

· Premium Member
309 Posts
Lead

· Registered
3,926 Posts
I have at least 1 maybe 1000 racoons shredding my lawn, looking for grubs I assume. Pretty sure I killed the grubs but they must like the dead ones too.
.22 is not an option as the neighbors are too close and this is Nassau County, even though I have woods in the back.
Trapped 1 last year and almost had to fight him off when I let him go in the park.
I have tried several chemical treatments and I swear I could hear them laughing.
To add to your issue, It IS ILLEGAL to release a caught raccoon on long island

· Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To add to your issue, It IS ILLEGAL to release a caught raccoon on long island
I originally called animal control (town or county I do not remember) but they said not their problem but that I could not kill them.
They are the ones who told me to trap them and let them go at Hempstead Lake.

· Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Trap and you must kill them . As mentioned above.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
I used to trap them and let them go behind SCPD headquarters. But I do not recommend you do that!

How about a full auto airsoft AR? The pellets will not kill them but will make life uncomfortable in your backyard. Be sure to let the neighbors know it is a toy or you will have SWAT kicking in your door at 3 AM. Lots of fun at the ****'s expense.

And put your trash in tight cans and put it out in the AM before pickup, do not leave it out overnight.

5,857 Posts
I used to trap them and let them go behind SCPD headquarters. But I do not recommend you do that!

How about a full auto airsoft AR? The pellets will not kill them but will make life uncomfortable in your backyard. Be sure to let the neighbors know it is a toy or you will have SWAT kicking in your door at 3 AM. Lots of fun at the ****'s expense.

And put your trash in tight cans and put it out in the AM before pickup, do not leave it out overnight.
I'm pretty sure that Airsoft is illegal within 500' of a property line. It is covered by the same code that BB/Pellet guns are. Stupid, but true.

5,857 Posts
I originally called animal control (town or county I do not remember) but they said not their problem but that I could not kill them.
They are the ones who told me to trap them and let them go at Hempstead Lake.
The guys at animal control are probably a bunch of stoners. They only handle domestic animals. The DEC says it is illegal to relocate wildlife. You get caught releasing racoons at Hempstead Lake STATE Park and you'll be in bigger trouble than with the town!

ETA- Note the EMPHASIS on STATE!

· Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
For the umpteenth time on here it is illegal in NY per DEC to catch and release *****. They are disease ridden pests.

You as a homeowner can trap and kill as many ***** as you want per DEC. I would recommend this method. DEC actually recommends drowning in a garbage pail as a humane method. A carefully placed .177 or .22 (800fps airgun) hollow point pellet at close range is what I would recommend.

And if you have 1000s many ripping up your lawn that is highly unusual. I have several wooded acres with dozens of acres of woods behind me and have a pack of *****, but nothing like you have described. Eliminate any food sources, garbage, and trap them to reduce what seems like an out of control local population (killing one or two won't do it. you really have to ween out what you are describing). They are mostly nocturnal, scavenge in packs and don't like peppermint oil (the real stuff).

Oh, and my deer don't like the ***** either. Nobody likes *****.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.