Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I was under the impression that a manually-operated firearm was exempt from mag capacity limits (for now). My 870 has a 6-round mag tube. I've definitely seen 7-rounders, too.

·
Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth
3,298 Posts
Maximum capacity for any ammunition feeding device, except for tube feed .22LR, is currently 7 at home, 10 at range.

The State police currently have a stay on enforcing the 7 round carry limit across the state; but technically and legally any agency outside the Western district could still enforce it. Whether that would actually happen or not is another matter, but still be aware it's possible.

This is separate and distinct from the "assault weapon" feature qualifier for semi-auto shotguns.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Legal limit for magazine capacity for a pump action shotgun is 10+1. Ten is the maximum magazine size for any magazine in NYS, with the exception of tubular 22 caliber magazines, which are exempt from the limit, and fixed magazines on semi-automatic shotguns which are limited to 7 rounds.

As for what you can put legally load in the pump action shotgun magazine, it is 10 at the range, and either 7 or 10 at home, depending upon if you are going by the unSafe Act as written (7 rounds in the magazine + 1 in the chamber) or the Federal Court decision, which technically applies to only part of the state (10 + 1).

I believe the consensus is that while the Federal Court ruling stands, even counties outside the jurisdiction of the court will not enforce the 7 round limit.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Legal limit for a pump action shotgun is 10+1. Ten is the maximum magazine size for any magazine in NYS, with the exception of tubular 22 caliber magazines, which are exempt from the limit, and fixed magazines on semi-automatic shotguns which are limited to 7 rounds.
Because .22LRs aren't deadly, right? Never understood the logic behind that exception from the lawmaker's point of view.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I stand corrected. Not surprised..

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
I suppose you could exceed the legal limit with those mini shells. What, are they 1.75" ?

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Because .22LRs aren't deadly, right? Never understood the logic behind that exception from the lawmaker's point of view.
While I don't think there should be any limits on magazine capacity, if there are going to be restrictions, I can at least see the logic in exempting rimfires. They can certainly be deadly, but all things being equal, center fire rounds are far more deadly. Plus the tubular magazine takes longer to reload.

I wouldn't want to go into a gun battle with a 22 with a tubular magazine (as much as I love my Henry Goldenboy) against someone with a centerfire lever or pump action rifle, much less someone with a centerfire semi auto with detachable magazines.

Of course, the number one factor in the deadliness of any gun is the person that is holding it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
While I don't think there should be any limits on magazine capacity, if there are going to be restrictions, I can at least see the logic in exempting rimfires. They can certainly be deadly, but all things being equal, center fire rounds are far more deadly. Plus the tubular magazine takes longer to reload.

I wouldn't want to go into a gun battle with a 22 with a tubular magazine (as much as I love my Henry Goldenboy) against someone with a centerfire lever or pump action rifle, much less someone with a centerfire semi auto with detachable magazines.

Of course, the number one factor in the deadliness of any gun is the person that is holding it.
I absolutely agree on all counts. I just don't understand it from _their_ point of view. I think many of them think a .22 is a bit more powerful than a BB gun or something.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I suppose you could exceed the legal limit with those mini shells. What, are they 1.75" ?
That's one of the idiotic things about the law, with one ammo it holds 10, with another ammo maybe 13, is it now illegal? What if a prosecutor stuffs more than 10 .223 rounds in a 10 round .308 magazine, now you have to spend money on a lawyer to explain what's wrong? It's just so frustrating, this is the legislation they demand while actually trying to prevent violence itself is an unheard of concept.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I absolutely agree on all counts. I just don't understand it from _their_ point of view. I think many of them think a .22 is a bit more powerful than a BB gun or something.
The other oddity in the tubular magazine exemption, is that, as written, only applies to .22 caliber. Smaller caliber tubular magazines in excess of 10 rounds are still, technically illegal, though I don't know if this is ever enforced.

I have seen some centerfire lever guns with 12 round magazines for sale in some LGS (Rossi 92s with 24" barrels), which are also technically illegal. I don't know if anyone has ever been arrested for having such a lever gun in NYS.

·
Sharp Shooter!
506 Posts
My KSG is 100% legal with 7-7+1. I think you can have the limit of 10 but only load 7 at home. Better to be safe then sorry when it comes to this stupid law.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
That's one of the idiotic things about the law, with one ammo it holds 10, with another ammo maybe 13, is it now illegal? What if a prosecutor stuffs more than 10 .223 rounds in a 10 round .308 magazine, now you have to spend money on a lawyer to explain what's wrong? It's just so frustrating, this is the legislation they demand while actually trying to prevent violence itself is an unheard of concept.
The .223 on the .308 scenario would probably result in you eventually winning a large false arrest/prosecution settlement as .308 mags are not intended to hold .223 and will not feed them.

I think the minishell scenario could be slightly more problematic for a gun owner, but I think if you can only fit the legal limit of 2,75 inch shells in your magazine, I have little doubt you would win your case in the end, and might also have a good lawsuit.

A greyer area could be rifles with tubular magazines chambered in .357 or .44 magnum that hold 10 of those cartridges but can also hold 11 rounds of 38 or 44 special. Still, those rifles have been sold and owned openly in NYS for years, so it is probably not an issue.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
My KSG is 100% legal with 7-7+1. I think you can have the limit of 10 but only load 7 at home. Better to be safe then sorry when it comes to this stupid law.
Does the law say you can only load 10 (or 7) round per gun, or per magazine? If it doesn't specifically say per gun, you could probably make a strong argument that you can max out the KSG but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was hoping to get a definite number I'm allowed to load into my 870 for home defense purposes. I already own the 870. It has wood furniture (no pistol grip or vertical fore end grip). 18" barrel.
I wanted to put a tube extension on it, not extending past the barrel. The ammo is 2 3/4".

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think the reason for exempting tube fed 22's is their ubiquity, not their lower power.
With all the resistance to the unSafe act, it would have been several times more, if they outlawed tube fed 22's, simply because there are several times as many 22 owners as AR owners. IMO

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
KSG and UTS-15 are both 7+7+1, all legal AFAIK even per NYSAFE. Magazine cannot be loaded beyond 7 rounds in some cases per NYASFE stupidity, but both guns have dual magazines, the UTAS allows interleaved feeding which makes it the equivalent of a 14+1 in terms of firepower, I think you have to switch the KSG over with a lever flip but I am not sure.

·
Sharp Shooter!
506 Posts
From my understanding on the law the two tubes count as 2 different "mags" however the UTAS counts as one because they feed from both tubes at the same time. You need to switch the KSG from each tube. Either way I think you can have 10 on board at the range. And I believe since it's a pump you can have all the evil features you want on it, pistol grip/vertical grip. If they changed that I have to "fix" my KSG haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts