Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Finally pulling the trigger on adding a 2014/15 F-150 Supercrew (thinking the twin turbo ecoboost). Going this week. The St. James Ford on Jericho is the closest one to me.

--What are dealerships have you had good and bad experiences with?

--I hate haggling, etc. and want a decent service dept.

--Do a lot of dealerships have certain package trucks on lot, or will I have to order and how long (4-8 weeks?).

--anything else to look out for buying a new F-150 ?

Thanks in advance,

( inb4 Security Dodge jokes
)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Haggling sucks.....I let my wife handle that.......do your due diligence....know more about the truck than the salesman

Reactions: xcentrk and Destro

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I bought a leftover 2014 limited super crew with the ecoboost. Absolutely love it.
If you want the 5.5' bed they are readily available. If you want something special, then you have to order it.

If you are going to be towing a lot, get the V8. If not the turbo 6 is fine.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Really don't think anyone had good service anymore for non luxury brands. I bought my 14 150 supercrew from hassett in wantagh. Pm if you want the sales guy I used. Lil far from you but worth s price match. Also, try van bortel ford in Rochester. Guaranteed to get the best pricing. You can get it for invoice from them. Believe the guys name is Stephen..cost to ship is bw 600 and 900 depending on who you use. I didn't buy mine from then only bc I was promised a loaner for big services and paid close to invoice for my truck. Looking back, the loaner thing is bs unless you can make an appointment 4 weeks or more out.
Huntington ford sucks, they wouldn't give new any rythym in coming down in price.

The eco boost us supposedly good but do not expect the printed fuel economy...not even close to that unless you drive like a grandma and only go down hill. I have the 6.2 and I never want to give thus truck up. I've had both my mother and mither in law comment how comfortable it is. Just about every bell and whistle, etc...love it, but I am biased...I'm a ford guy and although I've owned others, I jeep coming back to Ford's. This is my first pick up and I absolutely love it. Only exception is I wish my truck was available with the 6.5 bed instead of 5.5..truck rides like a caddy empty and even better with the bed loaded....live it live it live it..

Heard ramp may be good...Smithtown I've heard mixed reviews...whatever the old Northport ford is has to suck.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I bought a leftover 2014 limited super crew with the ecoboost. Absolutely love it.
If you want the 5.5' bed they are readily available. If you want something special, then you have to order it.

If you are going to be towing a lot, get the V8. If not the turbo 6 is fine.
This is probably the route I'd go (2014 leftover/2015 whatever deal they have). I can live with the 5.5 with the supercrew. I'll use straps with the gate down for occasional sheet goods. Sounds like this package may be on the lot. Not picky with the extras (though a 110v interior plug would be nice) as I'm probably going to throw a bunch of 4x4 aftermarket stuff on it...eventually. Also probably go black which should be available, though that magnetic color looks sharp.

I'm not towing anything dedicated with it. Maybe a utility trailer but that would be less than 5Klbs. So from what I read the 2.6 twin turbo ecoboost has the fastest 0-60 out of all of them. Sure the turbos will need to be change way down the road.

@Diesel1, yeah I heard the economy of the ecoboost is not at all what advertised. I'm ok with that. If I can find one configured with the ecoboost on a supercrew I'm ok with it. I'm not going to be towing and I hear the twin turbo ecoboost has really great performance with the lighter aluminum body.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Haggling sucks.....I let my wife handle that.......do your due diligence....know more about the truck than the salesman
Definitely does. I just purchased a Tacoma and ended up going to 5 dealerships. The last one I went to Truecar.com, built the truck out, found the lowest price anyone supposedly paid for the same configuration (which was way less then any of the other dealers had offered me) and went to my last dealer. Very tired of the sales BS after being to so many dealers so I was said "This is what I will pay. Say yes and I'll put a deposit down right now, no I will walk out the door. Luckily he said yes...

Does not hurt to check out truecar though, at least get an idea of pricing.

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
Smithtown Ford (Ford of Smithtown) has great service (see Chris) but their sales department leaves a lot to be desired.
Make your deal with the sales person and DON'T go through the CLOSER. Whatever you do, know your prices before you walk in the door.
NEVER AGAIN FOR ME!

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
F150, will this be the wife's car? Big guy like you should be driving a Raptor or a Super Duty.

I had a great buying experience at Smithtown Ford, but their service was an entirely different subject. I've heard the Eco-boost is not worth the extra $$$ as it doesnt get anywhere near the advertised mpg.

When they won't go any lower in price, get them to throw in some all weather mats and a few free servicings, they did it for me.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
F150, will this be the wife's car? Big guy like you should be driving a Raptor or a Super Duty.

I had a great buying experience at Smithtown Ford, but their service was an entirely different subject. I've heard the Eco-boost is not worth the extra $$$ as it doesnt get anywhere near the advertised mpg.

When they won't go any lower in price, get them to throw in some all weather mats and a few free servicings, they did it for me.
I'm going to check out Smithtown since it's closest. Interesting someone in this thread said their service was great but the sales not so much. (opposite of your experience).

From all I've read the 2.7 ecoboost (which is only $600 more than the base) has far greater performance --though yeah, it doesn't meet the advertised mpg which I'm perfectly ok with. It actually goes 0-60 faster than the V8, and has great overall performance every article I've read so for that small increase in price it's a value. I don't need to pay for a V8, not really going to use it for towing. I'll see what they have on the lot and for what. Basically need a supercrew and everything else is gravy.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
At this time of the year, you should be paying BELOW invoice. The invoice price is Bull. They'll show it to you like they're doing you a favor, but they actually paid less than the invoice. They also don't tell you about the "hidden" $1000 they get back for every vehicle sold.

Also keep in mind that they are paying interest on cars in the lot, so if you find one that's been there for a while, they're getting hosed on the interest on that vehicle. They'll want to get rid of it.

Furthermore, "cash" doesn't rule anymore. They want you to pay interest. That's where they make the money. If you tell them you're paying cash, the price goes up. That's why you'll see that's one of the first questions they'll ask.

The bottom line is that, they are, for the most part, a slimy lot.

All this, and more, can be found on the Internet, just so you don't think I'm making this stuff up

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
We bought Ram 1500 recently in S.James/Smithtown. We drove all over LI looking at different trucks and as everybody says, the price goes up if you do not finance with the dealership, no matter where you go. If you have cash, it is worth financing for three months and than paying in full. Talk to them. Dodge dealership treated us pretty good, we liked the life time warranty, they threw in ding and dent insurance for three years for free (I tend to back into things even with the camera
and they were a bit flexible with the price after we walked away. So be prepared to haggle, no matter where you go, and aim for the left overs
They are always cheaper. We chose Ram - the goat mobile - because it suited us the best, good luck hunting for your F150.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I'm going to check out Smithtown since it's closest. Interesting someone in this thread said their service was great but the sales not so much. (opposite of your experience).

From all I've read the 2.7 ecoboost (which is only $600 more than the base) has far greater performance --though yeah, it doesn't meet the advertised mpg which I'm perfectly ok with. It actually goes 0-60 faster than the V8, and has great overall performance every article I've read so for that small increase in price it's a value. I don't need to pay for a V8, not really going to use it for towing. I'll see what they have on the lot and for what. Basically need a supercrew and everything else is gravy.
It comes standard with a 110v plug in the rear console.

I have the 2014 which is heavier than the new all aluminum 2015 model. On the highway on trips I get almost 18 mpg, did 285 miles and got 17.8, did 240 and got 17.9 after the motor was broken in. Lifetime with mine over 12k miles is 12.7.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My son has the 2015 f-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. He has a very heavy foot and gets about 16mpg around town and 25mpg on highway. The aluminum body is very nice fit and finish is good, when you tap, slap thunk the body it sounds very solid, much better than my f-250 sounded. The Engine has lots of power for such a small displacement. I believe it has 325hp and 375ftlbs of torque. Nice truck, don't be disappointed if they don't come down much in price, this is the first year for this body.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.