Long Island Shooters Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Just to clarify for others: The permits from the Sheriff say that.

My answer is yes, and I believe Gary would agree. That's the short version.

Here's the long version: there are really only two types of permits for people without specific jobs like supreme court justice, express courier, and merchant/storekeeper. This has always been so.

These permits are:
1) "have and possess in your dwelling"; and
2) "have and carry concealed."

They only thing that has changed with SCOTUS and CCIA is the need for a "proper cause" to get the second type. You don't anymore. They are both "shall issue."

If you are allowed to carry your gun, you have a #2.
I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately they are still going with a Premises/Carry and is still only good for the range.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately they are still going with a Premises/Carry and is still only good for the range.
Absolutely. You would definitely be going against their rules carrying whenever you wanted, which could trigger a suspension and a need for you to either wait it out or go the Article 78 route in Supreme Court to get it back (which isn't too crazy, but I would suggest an attorney). As long as you stay concealed, it shouldn't come to that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So the other day I was going to the range on my motorcycle. I couldn't fit my pistol box in my backpack, so I just put the pistol in one of the pocket inside the backpack and of course zip it closed. I took out the magazine and put it in a separate pocket (UNLOADED). I did not have any ammo on me or in the backpack. (I bought the ammo at the range).
Is that okay to travel on my motorcycle like that? With the gun in my backpack and no ammo?

On the way home from the range, I got low on gas (not low enough that I couldn't make it home, which I did) and was wondering if I'm allowed to stop at the gas station (use credit card and NOT going inside the store)? Remember I only had the gun in my backpack and NO ammo.

A guy i talked to at the range which also has the Sportsman license, told me that he drive to the range (directly, in a car) with the gun loaded and concealed. Is that even legal?
Hmmm.... I just found a copy of the lates PLI handbook and when I read about the Sportsman license, it says at one point "Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and /or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip" So I guess they changed that to NO stopping at all?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hmmm.... I just found a copy of the lates PLI handbook and when I read about the Sportsman license, it says at one point "Licensees are authorized to stop only for nonalcoholic refreshments and /or a meal on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving your residence and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip" So I guess they changed that to NO stopping at all?
That was always my favorite "rule."

61 - 68 of 68 Posts