Long Island Shooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What about the ones that were Sportsman, and changed to Premises when I added a pistol, yet still say Type:Carry? I was also told to treat it as a Sportsman when going to the range or hunting. It’s a carry post Bruen?
Just to clarify for others: The permits from the Sheriff say that.

My answer is yes, and I believe Gary would agree. That's the short version.

Here's the long version: there are really only two types of permits for people without specific jobs like supreme court justice, express courier, and merchant/storekeeper. This has always been so.

These permits are:
1) "have and possess in your dwelling"; and
2) "have and carry concealed."

They only thing that has changed with SCOTUS and CCIA is the need for a "proper cause" to get the second type. You don't anymore. They are both "shall issue."

If you are allowed to carry your gun, you have a #2.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Are we absolutely certain that the training is at next renewal if last renewal was prior to September 1?
IF you have a pistol license already; and
IF you want to keep your present carry license; or, for the NYC premises people, "upgrade" to a carry license; and
IF you live in the "downstate counties,"

Then yes, you have to submit a training cert before renewal. Otherwise you'll be busted back to a non-carry license, which you've probably never had before unless you live in NYC.

Now...so far, the people who are renewing their sportsman/business/full carry class carry licenses and NOT submitting their training to keep them are still getting these carry licenses renewed regardless, at least as "Sportsman." This is in direct contrast to the requirements of the CCIA. How long the state lets the licensing officers keep doing this is something we are definitely NOT "absolutely certain" of.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
So much for Bruen
This might have been in response to someone else, but Bruen did two critical things:

1) Rendered unenforceable the "proper cause" provision of the Penal Law for carry licenses and led the State to repeal it. => Shall issue "full carry" (to use the old term) for all.
2) Gave us the grounds to challenge all sorts of other new and existing anti-gun laws like the CCIA and varous licensing officer regulations.

·
Aim High
912 Posts
No, I meant that today Bruen gave us more questions than answers. Confusion reigns among everyone including LEO whose heads must be swimming. Laymen like myself have to depend on you guys. I know Bruen is getting us closer but I need a scorecard.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
No, I meant that today Bruen gave us more questions than answers. Confusion reigns among everyone including LEO whose heads must be swimming. Laymen like myself have to depend on you guys. I know Bruen is getting us closer but I need a scorecard.
You're looking at this from a negative perspective. Prior to Bruen the answer to all the questions was "no". Post Bruen the answer to the most critical question, does the 2nd Amendment recognize a right to carry a firearm for personal protection, is yes. Now the fight is over under what conditions. The CCIA created conditions that made the right useless. Those conditions are being whittled away. More whittling will follow. In the meantime NYS can attempt to prosecute based on this new law but I have doubts many LEOs or prosecutors are looking to make a name for themselves make the attempt.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Gotcha. Oh absolutely. I use a scorecard myself. Haha.

I will say that Bruen did give us answers, but they State didn't like it so it was the CCIA and the State's implementation that gave us those additional (and confusing) questions.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Gotcha. Oh absolutely. I use a scorecard myself. Haha.

I will say that Bruen did give us answers, but they State didn't like it so it was the CCIA and the State's implementation that gave us those additional (and confusing) questions.
What Bruen has made clear is NYS has been violating the 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding American citizens for over hundred years. We now have the backing of the highest court in the land. Like it or not the Governor and those in the legislature that voted to pass this law are the law breakers not us.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
This is the way that I was told to transport it to the range by the Sheriffs Dept. Whether it’s a Sportsman or Premises. Same deal. Keep it loaded and concealed to protect it and yourself. Just don’t make any stops along the way.
so, if I happen to get a shit cramp on the way to the range, and we have all gotten it one time or another “out of the blue”, after a Mexican or Sushi dinner the previous night, or with me from “Pete’s Wicked Ale” (which happened to me on a business trip on a flight back from SFO to JFK, boy did I pollute that Lav on the “Red Eye” one time) I have no other option than to shit my pants, instead of finding the nearest bathroom in a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, that are just about on every corner.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
so, if I happen to get a shit cramp on the way to the range, and we have all gotten it one time or another “out of the blue”, after a Mexican or Sushi dinner the previous night, or with me from “Pete’s Wicked Ale” (which happened to me on a business trip on a flight back from SFO to JFK, boy did I pollute that Lav on the “Red Eye” one time) I have no other option than to shit my pants, instead of finding the nearest bathroom in a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, that are just about on every corner.
Not illegal, but it would tick off the PLB if they every found out.

If nature calls, I suggest you answer it.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts