Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
That's two trips too many. Plus I have to renew my license. I'll go when time to renew, with class certification in hand and get it amended and give them the certification. Then five years later we will get our CCL. SCPD is going to slow walk this as long as humanly (and legally) possible.
I just renewed mine in the spring. I agree, so waiting it out for 3.5ys to see what to do. Since this is all so undefined and clear as mud. I don't trust NYS and the SCPD with the latest, and I don't plan on being a test case.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm hoping for "YES or NO or RIGHT or WRONG " answer. I have a Suffolk Sportsman. The Sportsman has been thrown out by Bruen. Suddaby threw out some of the " restricted carry" places. Can I now conceal carry WITHOUT taking the 18 hour course until my renewal in 2027?
How can your Permit expire in 2027. Didn't they amend the renewal from 5 years to 3 years? I just renewed mine in June 2022 and it says it expires in 5 years
but i was under the impression that now has been changed to 3 years which would be June 2025.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Call over there and ask. If they let him shoot anything, it'll be a bolt / single action rifle. Same as anyone else without a pistol permit.
I tried to call yesterday but couldn't get through. I did email them and they did get back to me later last night.
Unfortunately he can't shoot anything since he's not a US citizen.

·
Aim High
912 Posts
It's just so frustrating to once have a Sportsman which would at least allow CC to a stop for food and bathroom break on way to range, have a favorable SCOTUS decision.....yet have less freedom to carry than before. Besides this step backwards, we now have to wait years for this injustice to wind It's way through the corrupt courts.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Legally, yes but you may get hassled, by a LEO, who does not know about the Bruen decision, although I can't image one who isn't aware.
Gary.
Gary, depending which county you have a pistol license issued from in New York. A Police Officer might not know unless a department memo is posted to all personnel. The majority of the forum members who live on Long Island are now being required to fulfill the 18 hour training. With Judge Suddaby’s preliminary injunction. He did not remove the training requirement. I understand that NYSRPA v. Bruen has eliminated training and restrictions. I don’t see these restrictions coming to an end soon. It will be many years for the CCIA to be dismantled.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,236 Posts
Gary, depending which county you have a pistol license issued from in New York. A Police Officer might not know unless a department memo is posted to all personnel. The majority of the forum members who live on Long Island are now being required to fulfill the 18 hour training. With Judge Suddaby’s preliminary injunction. He did not remove the training requirement. I understand that NYSRPA v. Bruen has eliminated training and restrictions. I don’t see these restrictions coming to an end soon. It will be many years for the CCIA to be dismantled.
Boosti:
I have to disagree. This case has received so much attention that I don't think there's a LEO, in this state, who is not aware of it, especially on LI and in NYC.

Based on my repetitive reading of the preliminary injunction, my gut feeling is that Judge Suddaby is going to eliminate the training requirements, as well as eliminate the issues of so-called lack of standing.

Patience, my friend. We've been working, toward this SCOTUS decision, for more than 50 years. A few more weeks, even months, won't break us.
Gary

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Boosti:
I have to disagree. This case has received so much attention that I don't think there's a LEO, in this state, who is not aware of it, especially on LI and in NYC.

Based on my repetitive reading of the preliminary injunction, my gut feeling is that Judge Suddaby is going to eliminate the training requirements, as well as eliminate the issues of so-called lack of standing.

Patience, my friend. We've been working, toward this SCOTUS decision, for more than 50 years. A few more weeks, even months, won't break us.
Gary
Gary, the appeal is filed, the Second Circuit must follow the NYSRPA v. Bruen decision. I wonder what they will keep or overturn in Suddaby’s ruling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a question. If we have a sportsman license and SCOTUS already removed the restrictions
and according to the CCIA if you have a CC license you only need the training upon RENEWAL of the license or if it's issued after Sept.1st. So why does SCPLB say we need the training to remove the restrictions. Do they only follow parts of the CCIA?

·
7,236 Posts
Gary, the appeal is filed, the Second Circuit must follow the NYSRPA v. Bruen decision. I wonder what they will keep or overturn in Suddaby’s ruling.
Yes, it's been filed but the 2nd Circuit has not yet agreed to act on it. They don't have to do anything. They can just sit it out, then wait for the trial results.
Gary

·
7,236 Posts
I have a question. If we have a sportsman license and SCOTUS already removed the restrictions
and according to the CCIA if you have a CC license you only need the training upon RENEWAL of the license or if it's issued after Sept.1st. So why does SCPLB say we need the training to remove the restrictions. Do they only follow parts of the CCIA?
Because they're doing what Albany is telling them to do, not what is the law. Remember. Hochul has made it claear that she believes she and her political party are above the law.
Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
So according to the letter of the law with the injunction in place anyone with a sportsman can legally CC anywhere that's not restricted. And if push comes to shove, expense aside they should prevail in a court of law??

·
7,236 Posts
So according to the letter of the law with the injunction in place anyone with a sportsman can legally CC anywhere that's not restricted. And if push comes to shove, expense aside they should prevail in a court of law??
No you need the training first and issued a full carry not sportsman. The training was not struck down by the injunction.
According to the CCIA you need the training upon renewal...According to SCOTUS my sportsman is a full carry..
Yes, all non-premises licenses are full carry, per Bruen. Nothing in the CCIA contradicts that. The CCIA simply tried to limit where you can carry and the Antonyuk injunction eliminated almost all of the restrictions. The trial will do the rest.
Gary

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
According to the CCIA you need the training upon renewal...According to SCOTUS my sportsman is a full carry..
Yes, although the prelim injunction is just about what is restricted in your case. It has nothing to do with the status of your license.

And speaking of push comes to shove, the "court of law" you are talking about prevailing in is an Article 78 proceeding in Supreme Court to get your license back after SCPD tries to suspend or revoke and you want to fight them.

If you were talking about a real court, where you are actually arrested, the only way I can see it happening is for an SCPD officer doing in for the misdemeanor charge of carrying with a premises license, they would have to make the case that your sportsman magically and automatically became a premises license that you could no longer carry loaded out of your house at any time. That's really f'ing stretch. And laughable if they are still letting you do so for sportsman reasons.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Yes, all non-premises licenses are full carry, per Bruen. Nothing in the CCIA contradicts that. The CCIA simply tried to limit where you can carry and the Antonyuk injunction eliminated almost all of the restrictions. The trial will do the rest.
Gary
Beretta, I agree 100% with this for the other reasons I mentioned in my main reply.

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Gary
What about the ones that were Sportsman, and changed to Premises when I added a pistol, yet still say Type:Carry? I was also told to treat it as a Sportsman when going to the range or hunting. It’s a carry post Bruen?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts