Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was going to the range on my motorcycle. I couldn't fit my pistol box in my backpack, so I just put the pistol in one of the pocket inside the backpack and of course zip it closed. I took out the magazine and put it in a separate pocket (UNLOADED). I did not have any ammo on me or in the backpack. (I bought the ammo at the range).
Is that okay to travel on my motorcycle like that? With the gun in my backpack and no ammo?

On the way home from the range, I got low on gas (not low enough that I couldn't make it home, which I did) and was wondering if I'm allowed to stop at the gas station (use credit card and NOT going inside the store)? Remember I only had the gun in my backpack and NO ammo.

A guy i talked to at the range which also has the Sportsman license, told me that he drive to the range (directly, in a car) with the gun loaded and concealed. Is that even legal?

·
Administrator
225 Posts
A guy i talked to at the range which also has the Sportsman license, told me that he drive to the range (directly, in a car) with the gun loaded and concealed. Is that even legal?
This is the way that I was told to transport it to the range by the Sheriffs Dept. Whether it’s a Sportsman or Premises. Same deal. Keep it loaded and concealed to protect it and yourself. Just don’t make any stops along the way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm going to give you my personal experience, opinion, understanding, and interpretation. I am not LEO or a lawyer.
I'm basing this response on emails I have received from SCPD PLB, and telephone conversations I have had with SCPD PLB employees and officers, including the SCPD PLB Commanding Officer Lt. Komorowski.

Per my telephone conversation with LT. Komorowski, just about 2 months ago (9/6), the "updated" handbook has been written, and, on 9/6/22, was in the hands of the legal department for review. The Lt. said it should be released "within the next week", likely "within the next couple of days".
Alas, on 9/8/22 Suffolk County was the victim of an alleged ransomware attack, and several Suffolk County websites, including SCPD's website, were taking offline. Those websites have not been available since. Who knows if Suffolk still has their (our) data, or if it is gone? Try to look it up. If you find anything interesting on it, please let me know. Most interesting thing I've read is that Suffolk IT received nearly $4 MILLION for security upgrades BEFORE the cyber attack.

Anyway...

As of 2 days ago, per another telephone conversation with SCPD PLB, the SCPD website was (and supposedly still is) the only place the handbook was made available, and/or stored. To anyone. Citizen, or SCPD employee. I verbally confirmed with that person, that there is no available handbook at this time. They don't have hardcopies to pick up. They can't email copies out. Nothing. Again, this person claimed that nobody has access to the new handbook file because of the ransomware attack.

Of course, theoretically, the handbook would at least help to answer your questions in a documentable manner.
Since we don't have one, and I can't get SCPD PLB to put anything in writing, we can only go by verbal information, either over the phone, or in person at PLB. I've asked for an email confirmation of each phone conversation I've had, and that request has been refused each time.

After that very long winded set up...., I asked basically the same questions you are asking. I even asked about riding a motorcycle to/from the range, as well as a pickup truck to and from the range (no "trunk"} . Here are the answers I was given to those questions.
In a nutshell, the Sportsman remains exactly as it was prior to 9/1/22, with one exception: No stopping anywhere on the way there, or on the way home. No restaurants, no bathrooms, no convenience stores, no gas stations. Because all those places are restricted and/or sensitive. Having a handgun in any of those places, or even on those properties, with a Sportsman license would be considered a felony. I half-heartedly asked about locking the gun in a box secured to the vehicle (unloaded, unloaded mags, ammo in separate lock box), but the answer wasn't really important to me since neither the bike or the truck have a trunk, and more importantly, I feel it would be more irresponsible to leave my gun in my vehicle. I just accepted that there was no option to stop there or back. If that means going to fill up with fuel, then going back home to get my gun, so be it.
(I did buy a lock box to cable to my truck in case I had an emergency, but I hope to never need/use it.)

The way you described transporting your weapon is fine.
The rule with Sportsman was (is) that you may carry concealed (loaded) to and from the range (no stopping) so, the guy you spoke with at the range was also legal.
Two notes.
First, if you ask anyone at SCPD PLB, they will give you a similar answer, however, they will all tell you (at least they have told me every time) that while you may carry concealed to and from the range, they "do not recommend it". Agree or don't, that's what they say. Your personal decision to make.
Second, and this is my opinion only. I ride as well. I've been riding a very long time, so be clear, I have nothing against bikes. That being said, I don't ride the bike to or from the range. Even if I had a full carry license, I would be very particular about when I would carry riding at all (i.e. I'd have to be with a group of like-minded fellows). The fact is that there is an increased risk on a bike. Not looking for a debate on cages, or "I didn't see the bike", or oil and sand on the road, or "you could break down or have an accident in a car too". If anything goes wrong, the gun becomes more of a problem on a bike than on four wheels. Again, I'm not telling anyone what they should or should not do, just expressing my thoughts on the matter, and sharing what my choices are.

Of course a court decision could change all of this at any time, so stay current on info.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
So the other day I was going to the range on my motorcycle. I couldn't fit my pistol box in my backpack, so I just put the pistol in one of the pocket inside the backpack and of course zip it closed. I took out the magazine and put it in a separate pocket (UNLOADED). I did not have any ammo on me or in the backpack. (I bought the ammo at the range).
Is that okay to travel on my motorcycle like that? With the gun in my backpack and no ammo?

On the way home from the range, I got low on gas (not low enough that I couldn't make it home, which I did) and was wondering if I'm allowed to stop at the gas station (use credit card and NOT going inside the store)? Remember I only had the gun in my backpack and NO ammo.

Yep. You guys are (both) all good.

Sportsman licenses (were) for carrying loaded, on your person, to and from the range.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Not to throw a monkey wrench into this but the term Sportsman was made up by Suffolk County. It wasn't in PL400 and isn't in the CCIA. The only licenses you can have that are unrelated to employment are type a (dwelling) and f (concealed carry).

·
Aim High
914 Posts
Confused. Are we now saying that I CANNOT travel to the range CC unless I take the 18 hour course and go through all that crap? If I don't take the course and there is no Sportsman, then I have nothing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Confused. Are we now saying that I CANNOT travel to the range CC unless I take the 18 hour course and go through all that crap? If I don't take the course and there is no Sportsman, then I have nothing.
I am not a lawyer, but the way I read the training provision in the CCIA is if you already have a license, you will need to take the course before your next renewal. Being that proper cause was struck down in Bruen and we our licenses are carry licenses with the now unconstitutional proper cause sportsman restriction, I read it as our licenses are now unrestricted carry. If you want to keep your carry license when your license comes up for renewal, you will need to do the training. Someone please correct me if I'm off base.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Again, not to throw another monkey wrench into the works, but wasn't there a post that hochul told the state police (and I assume with SCPD being in lock step with hochul, they would follow the same) that from this point forward, consider anyone carrying, to be doing so illegally.

I understand the reasoning being spb1122 post and verbiage. But that all came from probably a civilian worker at the PL office. And again, they won't put anything in writing.

And again, I understand why Peconic Paladin posted an all is good post. But with it being murky, an NYS habit of ignoring the higher courts and doing what they want.. take your chances.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am not a lawyer, but the way I read the training provision in the CCIA is if you already have a license, you will need to take the course before your next renewal. Being that proper cause was struck down in Bruen and we our licenses are carry licenses with the now unconstitutional proper cause sportsman restriction, I read it as our licenses are now unrestricted carry. If you want to keep your carry license when your license comes up for renewal, you will need to do the training. Someone please correct me if I'm off base.
If I renew a "sportsman" today, can't I just amend it whenever I get around to taking the safety course and bringing the certification out to them ?

·
Aim High
914 Posts
I'm hoping for "YES or NO or RIGHT or WRONG " answer. I have a Suffolk Sportsman. The Sportsman has been thrown out by Bruen. Suddaby threw out some of the " restricted carry" places. Can I now conceal carry WITHOUT taking the 18 hour course until my renewal in 2027?

·
Registered
236 Posts
If I renew a "sportsman" today, can't I just amend it whenever I get around to taking the safety course and bringing the certification out to them ?
File the amendment today so they have it on file It is a $5 check made out to SCPD. Then when you take the class, go back with the certificate. That's what I did. I added a pistol in Sept. So I filed the amendment then. My license is up on 1/1/23. I scheduled the class in the beginning of December. So when I pick up my license, I will hand them the training certificate. They will probably issue me as sportsman at first. Then I will have to go back to pick up the "carry" Hopefully it will only be a short wait

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm hoping for "YES or NO or RIGHT or WRONG " answer. I have a Suffolk Sportsman. The Sportsman has been thrown out by Bruen. Suddaby threw out some of the " restricted carry" places. Can I now conceal carry WITHOUT taking the 18 hour course until my renewal in 2027?
Can I now conceal carry WITHOUT taking the 18 hour course until my renewal in 2027? : Only to and from the range, or legally hunting, just as before 9/1/22.

For now.
Subject to change as lawsuits and decisions come to be.

Unless you are prepared to be a test case, or pioneer for truth and justice.

SCOTUS declared requiring "proper cause" unconstitutional. I don't believe that the word "Sportsman" appears even once in Judge Thomas' opinion, or Judge Suddaby's decision and preliminary injunction.

SCPD to date, claims that Sportsman licenses are now premise licenses. I don't agree. Strongly. I have NYS documents that prove otherwise.
I have the same opinion as many here, who feel that Sportsman licenses became full carry licenses upon the SCOTUS Bruen opinion.
Our opinions mean nothing, zero, nada.

While I agree and believe many of the interpretations and opinions stated by members of this forum, the fact remains that how SCPD interprets, and chooses to enforce, gun laws, rules, and regulations, is the reality we all must deal with. Even though they are wrong, they win, until forced by the courts to be right

We are right in principle, but the authorities are wrong in reality. This all will have to be hammered out in courts, clearly defined (better than it is now), and backed up.

Of course, everyone make your own choices, but I'd hope you inform yourself as well as possible before making your choices.
This forum can be a source of info, but it is nowhere near an authority.
There is much good information here, but there is much terribly incorrect info here as well.
To be silly about it, imagine getting charged with a crime related to carrying illegally, and telling the judge "Oh, I can clear up this misunderstanding. Please read this post from Long Island Firearms that will explain the correct interpretation of the SCOTUS Bruen opinion for you.". Good luck, don't drop the soap.
I'd hope you gather info from multiple, varied sources, including court documents, perhaps an attorney, and SCPD PLB.
At the very least, go to SCPD PLB, or call them on the phone, and have your own conversation with a live officer. Ask your questions directly, and hear their answers. They are the entity that can throw cuffs on a license holder. All the things they get wrong? THAT'S what we need to fight, and get corrected.

Choose wisely, and stay safe.

·
Registered
136 Posts

I suggest reading the manual. The answers are there.
Allowed to travel to and from range, or gun store, concealing your carry.
Allowed to make a stop, even for a bite to eat, but not in a place such as a bar that primarily serves alcohol.
Not allowed to leave weapon in locked car if you make a stop. Must carry with you, cc or in a locked case.
Weapons, not cc'd in car must be locked in trunk while driving, or in car in furthest point from the driver if no trunk.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,245 Posts
Legally, yes but you may get hassled, by a LEO, who does not know about the Bruen decision, although I can't image one who isn't aware.
Gary.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
File the amendment today so they have it on file It is a $5 check made out to SCPD. Then when you take the class, go back with the certificate. Then I will have to go back to pick up the "carry" Hopefully it will only be a short wait
That's two trips too many. Plus I have to renew my license. I'll go when time to renew, with class certification in hand and get it amended and give them the certification. Then five years later we will get our CCL. SCPD is going to slow walk this as long as humanly (and legally) possible.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts