Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your collective help....a close family member asked me to help research this gun (see pics).

It's a Mauser - I know nothing about Mausers and I am hoping to get your help on identifing the year, worth and any other information I can learn about this really cool rifle.

It's in good condition (slight pitting on receiver) stock is excellent ... Bolt is smooth and action is great. Bore is bright and great rifling.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the second trigger for? The gun has not been shot in over 50 years...

This was a family hand down from the original owner...any information or links you can provide me to research would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Frank

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Seems to be a Type B 98-08 Mauser sporter. Never seen one before.

The trigger appears to be a double set trigger. Think of it as a two stage trigger separated into 2 separate triggers. First trigger would have a longer pull and arm the second trigger which has a much lighter pull. That looks to be an original stock too. Beautiful piece of history there.

Edit: You might know this already, but DO NOT try to clean the stock, barrel or action. The patina is part, if not most, of the collector value. Use a light coat of a preserving oil only. Do not use CLP or any other cleaners on it.

More info.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to be a Type B 98-08 Mauser sporter. Never seen one before.

The trigger appears to be a double set trigger. Think of it as a two stage trigger separated into 2 separate triggers. First trigger would have a longer pull and arm the second trigger which has a much lighter pull. That looks to be an original stock too. Beautiful piece of history there.

Edit: You might know this already, but DO NOT try to clean the stock, barrel or action. The patina is part, if not most, of the collector value. Use a light coat of a preserving oil only. Do not use CLP or any other cleaners on it.

More info.
Thank you !!

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Only thing I could find as far as price goes is an old listing at Cabelas. That's for a single trigger tho, double set triggers seem to be even more rare.

IMO, take very good care of that, it's worth a decent amount of $ most likely.

Reactions: Old Frank

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
The crown U and crown B are inspection and firing proofs.
The hop of the receiver should have some markings although from the pics of the side I don't see any.

There should be some barrel markings in front of the receiver that will tell you the gauge, and from that the caliber.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Don't you guys know anything? This is Hemingway's famed Giraffe gun.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Double set trigger. Pull back one to set and then gently squeeze front to fire. There should be an adjustment screw between the two triggers to adjust lightness of the pull.

DON"T open up that trigger for any reason if it still works. You have no idea what may or may not have been done over the years to "fix" it. If there is a problem, go off island (probably to Pennsylvania) to a gunsmith thoroughly familiar with double set triggers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.