Long Island Shooters Forum banner
681 - 700 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
A cigar buddy mentioned seeing this site years ago. I looked it up, and already realize the tremendous wealth of knowledge that exists here for a newbie like myself. I'm looking forward to learning what i can here and meeting some of the gang at the ranges in LI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon,

I am so happy to have found this group. I have been toying with the idea of getting a gun for home protection for years. Of course I have been nervous and scared. A year ago two women entered my home, (uninvited of course), I was upstairs by myself and I hate to say I was not fully dressed, completely vulnerable, I made the choice to go down and confront them, not knowing who was down there at that moment. They would not leave or speak (again, not fully dressed, fight or flight took over). I said a few choice words for them to leave, they would not. Finally I approached them, stupidly, and got in their face and demanded they leave. I don't know why but they did, I am a female, 5'1" and weigh about 128 lbs., strong but not for two, they certainly could have taken me down. I recently lost my huge Chesapeake Bay Retriever where no one came near my house. I was told these people are aware of who has dogs and who does not.

Anyway, this was a minor event, but what scared me most was what could have happened, what if one of my children were here alone, what if they decided to go further with their intentions? They had a van outside, God only knows who was in it. Their hands never left their pockets and they had large glasses on and scarves around their faces, I could not identify them if I had to. I called the police, they arrived within 60 seconds. I got dressed, LOL, they threw me in the squad car and we drove around. They were never found.

This is what brought me here. With the current situation and human behavior, I feel it is necessary to buy a firearm. I went to Coliseum Ammo today, 60+ people on line. I suppose I need to wait until things calm down.

I wanted to thank you for the post about buying your first firearm. It was very helpful. It makes me a bit more comfortable when I go in.

My question, I can fill out all paperwork at the store? I don't need to go through Nassau County?

Thank you all so much, I look forward to being a part of your group and exercising my second Amendment.

Ayogi

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Good afternoon,

I am so happy to have found this group. I have been toying with the idea of getting a gun for home protection for years. Of course I have been nervous and scared. A year ago two women entered my home, (uninvited of course), I was upstairs by myself and I hate to say I was not fully dressed, completely vulnerable, I made the choice to go down and confront them, not knowing who was down there at that moment. They would not leave or speak (again, not fully dressed, fight or flight took over). I said a few choice words for them to leave, they would not. Finally I approached them, stupidly, and got in their face and demanded they leave. I don't know why but they did, I am a female, 5'1" and weigh about 128 lbs., strong but not for two, they certainly could have taken me down. I recently lost my huge Chesapeake Bay Retriever where no one came near my house. I was told these people are aware of who has dogs and who does not.

Anyway, this was a minor event, but what scared me most was what could have happened, what if one of my children were here alone, what if they decided to go further with their intentions? They had a van outside, God only knows who was in it. Their hands never left their pockets and they had large glasses on and scarves around their faces, I could not identify them if I had to. I called the police, they arrived within 60 seconds. I got dressed, LOL, they threw me in the squad car and we drove around. They were never found.

This is what brought me here. With the current situation and human behavior, I feel it is necessary to buy a firearm. I went to Coliseum Ammo today, 60+ people on line. I suppose I need to wait until things calm down.

I wanted to thank you for the post about buying your first firearm. It was very helpful. It makes me a bit more comfortable when I go in.

My question, I can fill out all paperwork at the store? I don't need to go through Nassau County?

Thank you all so much, I look forward to being a part of your group and exercising my second Amendment.

Ayogi
Plenty of good people here with years of knowledge in firearms. South Shore Sportsman and T&T Gunnery are always the shops I recommend sending a first time buyer. I would ask for Marty the owner of T&T, he's very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Ayogi,

Yes it is a zoo out there regarding buying anything at a gun store now, but it will die down and stock will be replenished (somewhat.)

Marty at T&T in Seaford can be somewhat of a grouch but its where I bought the majority of my guns. South Shore Sportsman (ask for Stan or Mike) is where I bought my last. I drove past Hunter Sports in Massapequa this morning and there was a line of at least a dozen people outside on the sidewalk. While a handgun might be better for home defense it will take you a minimum of 6 months to get and in Nassau sets you back $300 initially, much less in Suffolk. Your size, almost identical to my wife's, makes me think a 20 gauge shotgun might be a good choice. Buying a "long gun" (rifle or shotgun) involves little more than going to the gun shop and passing the FBI national background check. Whatever you do and choose, please get some training in safety and handling from someone in the know. Others will undoubtedly chime in with different events that actually cater to new female shooters. A final thought, and a serious one. If confronted in your own home with what you perceive as possibly a deadly (for you) confrontation, you must know now that you will not hesitate in terminating the threat. If you feel you can not do this, please get another large dog and a home security system. You were lucky that time, considering the well known phrase, "when seconds count, police are minutes away.'

Reactions: Ayogi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all for your responses and guidance. I plan on getting lessons. I would never pick a gun up without multiple lessons. I was going to get lessons first, make sure I am comfortable with the whole thing. I live near Mitchell Field, I understand there is a range there. Any other suggestions?

Ayogi

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ayogi, Sounds like you are on the right track. Although my wife and I (she is about your size) have multiple handguns, my wife's home defense firearm is the 20 ga. shotgun, as pequa suggested. BTW, trying to buy a firearm now is like trying to buy a generator during Sandy. Let this blow over. Take your time, get comfortable and make an informed decision based on input from a trained instructor. BTW, Campsite is another good place to buy when you are ready. Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I found this forum by accident. Having been born in in Rockville Center, lived in Nassau County till 12 yrs. old, and Suffolk County till 17, I was curious how gun owners were thriving in L.I. Having grown up hunting and fishing in eastern L.I. and because of the restrictive firearm laws of NY (even back then) I joined the Marine Corps and left. Imagine my awe and wonder being stationed in a state where one did not have to register a pistol. Anyway, I have good friends and a brother that still lives up there and despite the draconian gun laws you all have to put up with, it does my heart good to see that gun owners are thriving on L.I. Also a hat tip to Sand City Brewery who produce some of the best beer I ever tasted.

Reactions: gcloss

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Ayogi, the Mitchel Field range and all other indoor county facilities are now closed. From time to time I know that some groups have safety classes there and keeping on top of this website and another (google 'gun" "club" "long" and "island" .com and you will get there) have many involved in safety and firearm training. (I was military and shot competitively in HS and college.) Also, consider signing up for a hunter safety course although those will be canceled too until this virus is beaten.

·
Registered
3 Posts
a7vette2, I am going to wait until things calm down. It's my own fault. It's been on my mind for months, never pulled the trigger, (pun intended, :).
I will wait for a sleepy July afternoon.
Thanks again everyone for your help and advice.

Ayogi

·
Registered
1 Posts
I moved to Nassau years, many years ago from FL and locked my guns in the basement and did not think much about it. Now I want to go to the range and I realize I do not have a permit to bring my sidearm to the range. Does anyone have advice on how to expedite the pistol permit process in Nassau? Not looking for a concealed carry, just want to follow the law.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well what brought me here? To start thinking about that I will say first of all is that I love the firearms lifestyle, it's interesting, exciting and amazing. Particularly what brought me on this forum is that I love Long Island and Long Island Firearm!.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I moved to Nassau years, many years ago from FL and locked my guns in the basement and did not think much about it. Now I want to go to the range and I realize I do not have a permit to bring my sidearm to the range. Does anyone have advice on how to expedite the pistol permit process in Nassau? Not looking for a concealed carry, just want to follow the law.
Welcome mate!!! Enjoy the forum. I just joined too and I am enjoying every part of it. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What brought me here today is to find out if anyone can can answer this question for me. I've tried to search it several times to no avail... I live in Nassau and want to purchase a shotgun/long gun. If cannot have it shipped to Nassau County, can I have it shipped to Suffolk county instead and still pick it up?

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
What brought me here today is to find out if anyone can can answer this question for me. I've tried to search it several times to no avail... I live in Nassau and want to purchase a shotgun/long gun. If cannot have it shipped to Nassau County, can I have it shipped to Suffolk county instead and still pick it up?
Yes, any FFL in New York can receive a Compliant Firearm.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Where do you plan to purchase the gun(s)?

Most FFLs will charge $25-$65 to do transfers. You would need to shop around to find one that doesn't charge at the higher end. They may charge you tax if you didn't pay tax on the initial purchase. Just don't forget to keep that in mind when pricing things out. If you can find what you are looking for locally, it might be cheaper or almost the same price to just buy it locally.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Where do you plan to purchase the gun(s)?

Most FFLs will charge $25-$65 to do transfers. You would need to shop around to find one that doesn't charge at the higher end. They may charge you tax if you didn't pay tax on the initial purchase. Just don't forget to keep that in mind when pricing things out. If you can find what you are looking for locally, it might be cheaper or almost the same price to just buy it locally.
It helps to shop around. I highly recommend trying the local gun shops like South Shore Sportsman. I would rather spend a little more and help support a local business.

681 - 700 of 715 Posts