Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the day going from store to store to find a lever action rifle, specifically an 1892 Winchester. I first went to Hunters Essentials. There, I spoke to Bruce who was very helpful and gave me some suggestions as to what kind of rifles are available. Spent about an hour there. Very impressed. Next I headed to Hunter Sports. There I was immediately helped by Tom who showed me his selection of lever action rifles. He graciously took the time to explain the differences in makes and models, calibers and actions. After an hour or so of great explanations and education I moved on to South Shore Sportsman. I was helped there by James who spent a very long time showing me his rather large stock of new and used rifles. When I told him exactly what I had in mind he took the time and effort to try and find the closest match to it.
I spent at least an hour in each store and was never pressured to buy. They all offered me their experience, knowledge and understanding. I found prices to be reasonable in all three stores.
I highly recommend them to all our members.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Are you looking for an original 1892 Winchester? What style and caliber? I bought mine on gunbroker as a shooter, but you really have to know what you're looking at. Took me almost 6 months to find mine. You won't find many originals in gun stores, at least at a decent price. I know someone who has a few Winchesters if you let me know what you're looking for. Mine is a saddle ring carbine style, 44-40 made in 1894. Serial #37XXX. One of the best shooting guns I own using reloaded ammo.

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originals are great but a tad too expensive for me now.  I was looking for a lever action rifle.  At Campfire, I was shown a John Wayne Commemorative 1892 Winchester.  The look, the feel, the balance was to me , perfect. Unfortunately, it was over $1800.  Plus, I wanted to shoot it, not collect it.  The closest thing I found to it after going to the other three stores today was a Rossi R-92 at South Shore Sportsman.  I would like it in a .44 or .38/357.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Mine was only $900. Like I said I bought it as a shooter, not a collectible. There were things done to it by previous owners that eliminated some of the collectible value. If not it would be in the $2,000-$3,000 range. But it does have 116years of history to it. They do have great balance. But I looked at the copies like the Rossi, but the actions do not compare to an original. And I even had the fellow I mentioned offer me his NIB John Wayne Commemorative 1892 for $1200, a real bargain. But like you I wanted to shoot it. Besides theres nothing like the real deal.

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Postal Bob said:
Mine was only $900. Like I said I bought it as a shooter, not a collectible. There were things done to it by previous owners that eliminated some of the collectible value. If not it would be in the $2,000-$3,000 range. But it does have 116years of history to it. They do have great balance. But I looked at the copies like the Rossi, but the actions do not compare to an original. And I even had the fellow I mentioned offer me his NIB John Wayne Commemorative 1892 for $1200, a real bargain. But like you I wanted to shoot it. Besides theres nothing like the real deal.
That is the one thing that I noticed immediately. Although it had the weight and balance of the Winchester, the action on the Rossi was just not as smooth. I can buy 3 Rossis for the price of one Winchester but as you say, there is nothing like the real deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.