Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting running water to a spigot out 125 feet from a standalone office building, where there is a water source . Was thinking PEX for material cost and ease of running it. Since is underground putting it in a PVC pipe for protection with Heat Tape to keep it from freezing. The numbers seem to vary looking at frost line recommendations.

I would put a valve at the water source so it could be blown out with air compressor if needed. and heat tape and pipe insulation wrap the portion of pipe that exits the ground.

Suggestions?

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
Thought about that and then would need to go 4 feet down. Thoughts are to go less depth and then be able to use pex and heat tape.
Depends on how often it would be used during the winter. For reliability and less cost of electricity, along with the factor of a heat tape failure that goes unnoticed, what would your customer want? Do it once, do it right, and not have to worry.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water would be used daily to water horses. We have Video coverage on horses and stalls. I can put on the Z WAVE controller the thermostat and control the use of electricity. So it would kick on and off as needed.

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
18". Run a frost free hydrant.

Reactions: NorthForkSportsman

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Should be 4 1/2' deep to prevent freezing
If using poly and will be for drinking,I recommend using 200 psi poly. Should be stamped AWWA (American water works association) usually black with a blue stripe.
Pvc is rigid and brittle. Poly is flexible and strong/ thick.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should be 4 1/2' deep to prevent freezing
If using poly and will be for drinking,I recommend using 200 psi poly. Should be stamped AWWA (American water works association) usually black with a blue stripe.
Pvc is rigid and brittle. Poly is flexible and strong/ thick.
Hence the heat tape to keep it from freezing.

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
Have a licensed Electrican Serv Electrical (Brandon) coming to make the heat tape connections and running a GFCI circuit breaker for this.
Awesome! Better to be safe than sorry. Always hire a licensed professional to make sure things get done correctly. Who's doing the plumbing work though? Hope someone equally qualified

Edit:

Maybe because I'm unqualified but I wouldn't install heat tape on a gfi breaker for the sheer fact if it faults, how would one know

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
Awesome! Better to be safe than sorry. Always hire a licensed professional to make sure things get done correctly. Who's doing the plumbing work though? Hope someone equally qualified

Edit:

Maybe because I'm unqualified but I wouldn't install heat tape on a gfi breaker for the sheer fact if it faults, how would one know
What's happens with a heat tape failure, how would one know?

If only someone brought this point up earlier in the thread.

Sorry, had to bust your Pelosi loving chops.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Edit:

ZWAVE /ZIGBEE Controller signals out the Hub which sends alert. to all users as push messages.
There are three qualified licensed firms I am reviewing currently, each with different perspectives on the project. The opportunity to hear different views are always welcome.

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
ZWAVE /ZIGBEE Controller signals out the Hub which sends alert. to all users as push messages.
There are three qualified licensed firms I am reviewing currently, each with different perspectives on the project. The opportunity to hear different views are always welcome.
Will continue to follow.

I cannot/will not aid in any unlicensed guidance but def keep us updated

1 - 20 of 34 Posts