Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/28/news/companies/walmart_guns/?section=money_latest

Wal-Mart brings guns back

By Parija Kavilanz, senior writerApril 28, 2011: 1:24 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Wal-Mart said Thursday that it is bringing guns back to many of its U.S. stores in an effort to lift slumping sales.

In 2006, Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500), the world's largest retailer stopped selling guns in the majority of its stores, blaming slow demand for those types of firearms. Wal-Mart currently sells rifles, shotguns and ammunition in about 1,300 stores in the United States.

Those firearms will now be available at about half of Wal-Mart's 4,000 stores.

The retailer doesn't sell handguns in any of its stores, other than in Alaska.

Wal-Mart's ready to do battle
After suffering seven straight quarters of falling sales, Wal-Mart says that it is adding more merchandise variety to stores and becoming more aggressive on prices versus its competitors.

Reintroducing guns is part of the retailer's push, Wal-Mart spokesman Lorenzo Lopez said.

Lopez said Wal-Mart is focusing on stores in areas where hunting and fishing are popular activities.

'We realized there is broader appeal for guns in some areas because of sporting needs," said Lopez.

0:00 /2:04Justices debate Wal-Mart case
He also said that the majority of the firearms sold at Wal-Mart are made in the United States.

Lopez said consumers will have to complete appropriate forms and background checks before they can buy guns at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
I guess they are noticing how C T D is growing in their new business as well (since they expanded into selling firearms)..

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The Wal-Mart in Riverhead recently expanded their firearms section. They stopped selling guns a few years ago, but they just put in a new sporting goods counter with two revolving cylinder gun racks (they even have a Mini-14 on display), and big ammo cabinet (now they just need to properly stock it). Their prices aren't much better than local shops though still, in fact, for most guns or ammo you would probably be better off just going to Edwards than the Riverhead Walmart, unless you need value packs of shotgun or rimfire ammo.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
If their policies are like Dick's, I can only make purchases in Virginia, where more stores sell firearms anyway!

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
a) It is not "their policies" but rather the Federal BATFE laws that define where you may purchase firearms.

b) If your primary residence is in Virginia, you may purchase long guns (what Wal-Mart sells) in all of the states of Maryland, W. Virginia, Kentucky,Tennessee, and North Carolina.

c) I believe Dick's will order you in a gun or transfer a gun between stores to any location if you request, and they have locations in over 40 states. So unless you are in Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, or one of the few other states they have not invaded yet, you can buy a gun and have them bring it to you in one of the 20 locations in Virginia and they won't even charge you a FFL transfer fee.

I have only ever bought one gun at Dick's. None at Wal-Mart. But then again, I have not seen guns at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
From what I understand, there was actually a long line at the Riverhead store on the first day. I checked them out a week or two later, pretty good pricing... There's a marlin 30-30 that was eyeballing me. I almost bought it, then I remembered how expensive 30-30 is.

My buddy picked up a mossberg 12 ga there, he got it for a steal since his wife is a manager there.

·
INFIDEL
7,263 Posts
Five years ago I purchased a Winchester lever action from the Walmart web site.  Had to leave a deposit in the store and got a call to pick it up at customer service when it arrived from the warehouse. Saved over 150 bucks. The sporting goods mgr. carried it to my car.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Virginia law permits residents to purchase long guns anywhere in the US, not just in contiguous states.
Per corporate policy, Dick's will not permit me to purchase long guns anywhere except in Virginia.

Captain Will said:
a) It is not "their policies" but rather the Federal BATFE laws that define where you may purchase firearms.

b) If your primary residence is in Virginia, you may purchase long guns (what Wal-Mart sells) in all of the states of Maryland, W. Virginia, Kentucky,Tennessee, and North Carolina.

c) I believe Dick's will order you in a gun or transfer a gun between stores to any location if you request, and they have locations in over 40 states. So unless you are in Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, or one of the few other states they have not invaded yet, you can buy a gun and have them bring it to you in one of the 20 locations in Virginia and they won't even charge you a FFL transfer fee.

I have only ever bought one gun at Dick's. None at Wal-Mart. But then again, I have not seen guns at Wal-Mart.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Captain Will said:

What about their policy on pistol caliber ammo?

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
I bought a remingington express supermag in camo from middle island walmart a couple of months ago. saved a hundred bucksover anywhere else including online. You can order guns from them from a catalog if you don't see it in the store. I guess volume can get you lower pricing.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
SydneyH said:
Virginia law permits residents to purchase long guns anywhere in the US, not just in contiguous states.
Per corporate policy, Dick's will not permit me to purchase long guns anywhere except in Virginia
Does Dick's sell rifles and shotguns in New York? They just opened one here in White Plains. But I haven't gone yet.

I remember when The Sports Authority used to sell handguns! The prices were MUCH cheaper than the local dealers. Now I don't think they sell anything firearm related.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Walmart puts a gun section in most new stores. There used to be a small one in the central islip store when it opened. It was removed, but not for what you think. I was told if they do not do a set dollar amount, in each specific department, not just gun one in this example, it gets downsized or expanded as such. CI's gun section was so small, that elimination was the next step.

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
G

·
Captain Will said:

UH, no.
An FFL dealer can sell a long gun to a resident of ANY State as long as there are no State or local laws against it on either end.

New York does NOT prevent a NY resident from buying a rifle or shotgun out of State, and I know this has been discussed before ad nauseum. If it is not specifically illegal, it is legal. You can not charge someone with violating a law that does not exist.

·
Banned
796 Posts
peashooter said:
New York does NOT prevent a NY resident from buying a rifle or shotgun out of State, and I know this has been discussed before ad nauseum. If it is not specifically illegal, it is legal. You can not charge someone with violating a law that does not exist.
Yeah, it's pretty basic. No state can dictate what you can do in another state. It is that other state that can not allow out of state residents from buying in their state if they choose. NY cant say, for example, that a NY resident cant buy a gun in Texas. But Texas can say "we wont sell to a NY resident". What would make anyone think NY can make laws that would apply in other states? Come on, people, states are sovereign from each other. How could NY make laws that would apply to it's residents who are standing at a gunshop counter in Georgia? Do you think Georgia would honor any such laws? Just ask them what they think of Bloomberg and his laws.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
DanHS said:
The Wal-Mart in Riverhead recently expanded their firearms section. They stopped selling guns a few years ago, but they just put in a new sporting goods counter with two revolving cylinder gun racks (they even have a Mini-14 on display), and big ammo cabinet (now they just need to properly stock it). Their prices aren't much better than local shops though still, in fact, for most guns or ammo you would probably be better off just going to Edwards than the Riverhead Walmart, unless you need value packs of shotgun or rimfire ammo.
Where is Edwards?

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
CR 58 across from malvese equipment. It's about a half mile west of rte 105

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.