Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's happened again. My youngest daughter, 25 and still under my cellphone plan,needs a new phone. Her screen is locking up and she's complaining about other functional issues. I have 4 phones on the plan and all are over 2 years old. We've gone to a "month to month" situation which means no more 2 year contract. BTW anyone in a similar situation be advised that you can save $15 per month by going "month to month" on any 2 year old phones in the plan.
Anyway, I don't want to get another "New" phone from Verizon and start the clock again on another 2 year contract. I am considering getting a good refurbished phone (like an iphone 5S) for her and avoid the signing another contract. I've looked at ebay and Amazon and ebay had a few from some dealers at about $300 refurb. with a 30 month return policy.

Anyone have a similar situation. Please let me know as my daughter is anxious to replace the phone and I want to be the usual "Good Father". Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Well, it's happened again. My youngest daughter, 25 and still under my cellphone plan,needs a new phone. Her screen is locking up and she's complaining about other functional issues. I have 4 phones on the plan and all are over 2 years old. We've gone to a "month to month" situation which means no more 2 year contract. BTW anyone in a similar situation be advised that you can save $15 per month by going "month to month" on any 2 year old phones in the plan.
Anyway, I don't want to get another "New" phone from Verizon and start the clock again on another 2 year contract. I am considering getting a good refurbished phone (like an iphone 5S) for her and avoid the signing another contract. I've looked at ebay and Amazon and ebay had a few from some dealers at about $300 refurb. with a 30 month return policy.

Anyone have a similar situation. Please let me know as my daughter is anxious to replace the phone and I want to be the usual "Good Father". Thanks
She's 25 and your still buying phones and paying for service?

·
Registered
9,468 Posts

How do you save the $15.00?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a divorced father I try to do whatever I can for the kids. I hate to admit that I'm also paying for my oldest daughter, age 28. Maybe by the time I retire they'll get their own plans.

If you're looking to save the $15/per phone here's what to do. First, your phone has to have been under the 2 year contract and the 2 years have elapsed. Call Verizon and tell them that you want to go "month to month" on that particular phone. They will discount your bill by $15 per month for each qualifying phone. I only found out about this when I called them and mentioned that I was considering going to another carrier. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I had a similar problem in which my wife who can never keep a phone in good condition needed a new phone. I looked at Verizon and they wanted to charge me $400 bucks for an iphone 6 with a new 2 year contract. So i looked at different carriers, I really did not want to switch carriers because I've had Tmobile, Sprint and AT&T before and they sucked (I was with Verizon for 9 years before switching). After asking around on Social Media - facebook and Howard Forums many people recommended T-mobile. So i started looking at tmobile and at the time they were having a deal - 100 dollars for two lines with UNLIMITED TALK TEXT AND DATA. This plan does not LIMIT your 4G data after a certain amount and it is true unlimited unlike AT&T and Verizon, 10 gigs of hot spot and with two NEW iphone 6 at 27 bucks a month each . DId i mention that we arent under contract? The total with tax and everything is 168. I was paying 162 with Verizons unlimited talk and text and 10 gigs of data monthly. My wife and I usually go over 1 gig a month and that cost us an extra 15 dollars a gig. Making our monthly total 183, sometimes more.

Anyways, Since switching to Tmobile, we couldnt be happier. YES we are paying 6 bucks more monthly but we dont have to worry about going over our data plan and paying VERIZON MORE than we have to a month. Service is not AS good as Verizon when you leave the big cities but wifi can be found everywhere (Well where ever i go that is). Their service has definitely changed and now its better than it was before!

In other words, look aroud for another carrier. Tmobile also has a deal where they pay your Early termination fee with your current provider if you return your current phone to them (the phone value will go towards your monthly bill).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
dad = atm in daughter language , at least what I have experienced lol but you cant watch them enjoy your $ when your gone so what the hell , 28 I am not there yet but I think the atm card might get worn out by then, and btw how did you get them to not wear the phone out after 22 1/2 months by 24 months my kids have practically worn the numbers off. 15 bucks for each phone that is over 2 years I have to make a call and save a few bucks.

·
Gun guru (poseur)
6,135 Posts
Last year I switched from Verizon post-paid to Verizon pre-paid, and it's a much better deal.

I'd been month-month for years so I understand where you're coming from. I'd been paying about $40 plus tax/fees for my old Env3. Now I pay $45/month (note that many of the Verizon stores, such as the ones in BJ's, don't collect sales tax on recharging your account) for a smartphone plan.

On post paid if one goes over on data they charge you up the ejection port. On post-paid they just shut off the data or you can buy additional data (3GB for $20 that lasts 90 days).

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
First of all paying for your kids phones... Good for you!
They will always be your little ones no matter how old they get. If it makes you feel good do it.

You will be using a cell phone forever. Don't worry about contracts. Been using Verizon over 20 years. Love'm and hate'm, but driving cross country alot, the're the only reliable carrier. Their edge up program is good. You just need to search online for all the discounts.

Face it, if you get 2 years or more out of a phone you're doing good. It's the price of life.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
We had been month to month with Verizon for a while. When the time came to upgrade phones (our choice, not VZ) they told us that they no longer do contracts for service, everyone is now month to month once an existing contract expires. They do keep you close by selling the phones on an option for monthly payments. $25 mo for 2 years on an iPhone 6 which you can prepay and not have the 2 year payment obligation. Once the phone is paid for the cost comes off your bill and you pay only for your month to month service.
I like VZ service but they are overpriced. Just my $.02

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
First of all paying for your kids phones... Good for you!
They will always be your little ones no matter how old they get. If it makes you feel good do it.

Well, that's up to him and his business but I don't know if he deserves congratulations for paying for his adult children's service.
I know today kids are adults at 13 yet still live with Mommy & Daddy generally until their 32. SMH.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do they require a contract? I don't want to sign up for anything at this point and would rather go month to month.
Nope, no contract. You don't like it, take the phone and your # to another carrier. I'll agree the coverage isn't as good as Verizon in remote areas but I've never really had any problems except inside my house. Once I get home the phone seamlessly switches to wifi calling. You do have to buy the phone but they have cheap phones for as little as $29 after rebate. Our cell phone bill went from $160/mo. with Verizon for a very outdated plan (pay per text, 1 gig of data, 400 mins) to $75 for an unlimited talk/text and 2Gig 4GLTE then 4G speed data plan). I'm pleased. I will never get into a contract ever again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.