Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one of these, or had the opportunity to try one out?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I don't know if the UTG15 is different from the UTS15 but the Utas UTS15 was not unSAFE compliant due to alternating feeding of 15 shells. The Keltec KSG has two separate manually selected tubes that hold 7 each and is compliant.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
So... I was in Collesium a few months ago and overheard a conversation in which Simone from the store said that they spoke to the State Police, and while no decision was final, the concessions was that the UTAS would be a no go due to its ability to alternatively feed from either mag.

Furthermore it appears that while an official stance may not coming, it could be used in the event that someone found themselves in the cross hairs of an overzealous PO/DA

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Its not semi auto. There is no detach mag. Its Safe compliant. LGS on LI have them post SAFE.

edit: there is no UT"G" .. only UT"S". Must be a typo by OP.
I was told it's a no-go from several shops because it has a single feeding device capacity greater than 10. The only exception to that rule specifically stated was tube fed .22, i.e. henry, etc.. Has nothing to do with detach mag, or semi-auto.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
For Toothy, and all: even if the shotgun is a pump, the magazine limit is 10rounds. In a semi-auto shotgun, the limit is now 7, and the mag must be non-detachable.

The State Police have told us directly that the KSG is OK because each magazine holds less than 10 and the magazines are separate and they are switched over manually. . In effect, the KSG is two separate mags. At least that's how the State Police view it.

The UTAS does not have that separation. We do not sell it because we don't want to make a mistake, but the State Police have not
said anything to us about it yet. Maybe another shop could answer that.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Ok, to update everyone on this. Yes, NYSP said KSG is good because it is a mechanical switch between mags, not auto switch as the UTS is. BUT, UTAS now has sku'd a manual switch version which will be ok. I have not seen them available yet and they are more expensive than the KSG so not sure how big the market is.

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,801 Posts
^^^^Yes and a friend of mine purchased a 2nd gen after SAFE as well . I saw one for sale recently at a LGS.
So.....I guess customers and LGS are unintentionally running afoul of SAFE?
The problem is that there is no definitive standard for this particular configuration. There are only opinions. The powers that be refuse to say what is legal and what is not.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
I am not a lawyer but I think you need to carefully read exactly what constitutes a HCAFD as far as "device". It states drum, clip, magazine- but the UTAS is altertnating flipper switch does not seem to fit the definition of the listed "devices". And there are still two distinct magazines limited to 7 rounds. It seems to me it is simply outside of the scope of the language and therefore probably legal- not guaranteeing you won't have to test that.

If "device" can mean ANYTHING, your tri-mags and jungle clips would be illegal too.

As far as the shop going to jail, ask Marty Tretola.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.