Long Island Shooters Forum banner

UTAH Senate moves to change gun permit rules

4K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  RJM 
#1 ·
SB34 » Out-of-state gun owners who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit - which is popular because it is recognized by most states - may soon first need to obtain a permit from their home state, if available.

The Senate voted 28-0 on Friday to give preliminary approval to SB34, which would make the change. A final vote is expected next week.

Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, the bill's sponsor, said the Utah permit is popular because it is recognized by 33 other states - the most of any state permit - so owners can carry guns in most places nationally with just that one certificate.

But he said states such as Nevada and New Mexico recently quit recognizing Utah permits. He said they claim that is out of concern that Utah permits do not require any measure of shooting proficiency, but he said the states actually appear upset that their own residents often apply only for a Utah license without also obtaining a local one.

Valentine said the bill would give states control over their own residents, help ensure that Utah permits are still recognized by potentially jealous states, and help Utah residents by ensuring their permits will be recognized more widely.

Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said, "Guns are always an easy target, if you will, for people to pick on. But this is well thought-out. It's an important issue."

See less See more
#2 ·
SB34 » Out-of-state gun owners who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit - which is popular because it is recognized by most states - may soon first need to obtain a permit from their home state, if available.

The Senate voted 28-0 on Friday to give preliminary approval to SB34, which would make the change. A final vote is expected next week.

Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, the bill's sponsor, said the Utah permit is popular because it is recognized by 33 other states - the most of any state permit - so owners can carry guns in most places nationally with just that one certificate.

But he said states such as Nevada and New Mexico recently quit recognizing Utah permits. He said they claim that is out of concern that Utah permits do not require any measure of shooting proficiency, but he said the states actually appear upset that their own residents often apply only for a Utah license without also obtaining a local one.

Valentine said the bill would give states control over their own residents, help ensure that Utah permits are still recognized by potentially jealous states, and help Utah residents by ensuring their permits will be recognized more widely.

Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said, "Guns are always an easy target, if you will, for people to pick on. But this is well thought-out. It's an important issue."

G
#3 ·
http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillint/sb0036.pdf

Highlighted Provisions:
12 This bill:
13 < requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current
14 concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of
15 residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has
16 reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law; and
17 < requires a nonresident applicant to pay an additional $5 processing fee for the
18 issuance of the permit.

G
#4 ·
http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillint/sb0036.pdf

Highlighted Provisions:
12 This bill:
13 < requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current
14 concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of
15 residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has
16 reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law; and
17 < requires a nonresident applicant to pay an additional $5 processing fee for the
18 issuance of the permit.

#8 ·
If that's the case, then anybody who doesn't have CCW in their home state can't get the Utah CCW, and gets screwed out of having as much CCW coverage. Another reason for national reciprocity, it would be better if all states adopted something like the Utah requirements, and you had to get your home state's CCW, and then they were good everywhere, like your driver's license.

#7 ·
If that's the case, then anybody who doesn't have CCW in their home state can't get the Utah CCW, and gets screwed out of having as much CCW coverage. Another reason for national reciprocity, it would be better if all states adopted something like the Utah requirements, and you had to get your home state's CCW, and then they were good everywhere, like your driver's license.

#10 ·
DanHS said:
Personally I think that national reciprocity would be a great idea. The only thing is that it would completely suck that at that point everyone from everywhere else can carry here in NYC while I, being a resident, still wouldn't be able to get a carry permit.

#9 ·
DanHS said:
Personally I think that national reciprocity would be a great idea. The only thing is that it would completely suck that at that point everyone from everywhere else can carry here in NYC while I, being a resident, still wouldn't be able to get a carry permit.

G
#12 ·
Read the bill guys

requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law;

that isnt NY

G
#11 ·
Read the bill guys

requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law;

that isnt NY

#14 ·
rkba556 said:
Read the bill guys

that isnt NY
They are talking about the state not the county, NYS has concealed carry.

#13 ·
rkba556 said:
Read the bill guys

that isnt NY
They are talking about the state not the county, NYS has concealed carry.

#18 ·
The way I'm reading it,  it looks like they will only grant it to residents of states that will recognized their permit.  Also,  what is considered in "that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state"??  Does it mean that it requires the state to say "yea, its a valid permit but its no good here," or is it" yea, its a valid permit and you can carry here with it"???

#17 ·
The way I'm reading it,  it looks like they will only grant it to residents of states that will recognized their permit.  Also,  what is considered in "that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state"??  Does it mean that it requires the state to say "yea, its a valid permit but its no good here," or is it" yea, its a valid permit and you can carry here with it"???

#20 ·
I took the course and applied in December, but haven’t received the permit yet. I’m hoping this doesn’t slow down the process. I reached out the instructor to see if he has any additional information or thoughts. Maybe he can shed some light on the situation.

#19 ·
I took the course and applied in December, but haven’t received the permit yet. I’m hoping this doesn’t slow down the process. I reached out the instructor to see if he has any additional information or thoughts. Maybe he can shed some light on the situation.

#24 ·
Willus said:
So does this mean my Utah License which I received this past summer will be useless?
That is exactly what it is sounding like for us NY residents . . . should the bill be passed in Utah that is.

It is not Utah law at this time. . . yet. :B

#23 ·
Willus said:
So does this mean my Utah License which I received this past summer will be useless?
That is exactly what it is sounding like for us NY residents . . . should the bill be passed in Utah that is.

It is not Utah law at this time. . . yet. :B

#25 ·
It kinda makes sense.......having a "home" license isn't too much of a requirement. PA and FL require a license from NY. Besides, what good is a Utah license here in NY without a NY license?

Are there a lot of people here that have Utah that do not have NY?

#26 ·
It kinda makes sense.......having a "home" license isn't too much of a requirement. PA and FL require a license from NY. Besides, what good is a Utah license here in NY without a NY license?

Are there a lot of people here that have Utah that do not have NY?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.