Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some important beginner things to know.

production does not have major and minor power factors so a 9mm would be the way to go.

if you reload try and just make the required power factor in the division. less recoil quicker follow up shots. use a lghter bullet if possible,

do not rush in the begining take your time they tell me speed will come (not sure on that one LOL)

if you are thinking about it give it a try. if you ask people may even lend you belts or mag holders so you do not have to spend a fortune in the beginning

most importantly be safe and ask a lot of question. almost everyone will be more then happy to help.

enjoy

·
Registered
527 Posts
And it's fun! You're not just standing and putting holes in paper targets. Shoot and scoot, figuring out the best way to engage the targets presented in the stage while shooting around and maneuvering around obstacles, knocking down steel is a blast (pun intended). Even some of the steel are moving targets (Texas star). Plus, you spend the day with a great bunch of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Or pull the Vicktor....show up and just ask what you're supposed to shoot and how many times you need to shoot it.

There's not much to shooting these matches....just be safe and have fun. The serious guys are serious....they have gear, they shoot all the time, they're really fricking good. watch them to learn, but don't get discouraged if you're not the hard holder for the day when you only shoot a few of these things a year.

Training helps. I did my first match the day after I did my first MDTS course. Really helpful. If you have a pistol license you should probably try to do a course every year or every other year at least...just to stay in practice and keep your head in the game.

-Vick
middle of the pack with a smile.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Or pull the Vicktor....show up and just ask what you're supposed to shoot and how many times you need to shoot it.

There's not much to shooting these matches....just be safe and have fun. The serious guys are serious....they have gear, they shoot all the time, they're really fricking good. watch them to learn, but don't get discouraged if you're not the hard holder for the day when you only shoot a few of these things a year.

Training helps. I did my first match the day after I did my first MDTS course. Really helpful. If you have a pistol license you should probably try to do a course every year or every other year at least...just to stay in practice and keep your head in the game.

-Vick
middle of the pack with a smile.
Which to take first? I looking at taking Pistol 1 on November 7

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
One other thing I can tell you is that after taking MDTS classes I gained huge confidence with my handling and pistol shooting overall.

Take classes and train
This right here. I did Pistol 1, 2, 3 and low light.... after that I started doing comps and I'm scoring top 10 when I participate overall. Chris' courses are awesome and you gain a lot out of them IF you take what you learned and apply it on your own.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Pistol 1 is the way to start. I did Pistol 1, Pistol2, Speed and Precision, and low light classes with Chris. I have since taken pistol 1 two more times. Shooting is a perishable skill so its good to refresh basics and get as much trigger time as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Pistol 1 is awesome. your M&P pro is up to the task.

Get on it. Well worth doing. I've done it twice. Tons of trigger time.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
My friend and I did pistol 1 together. We both left extremely confident in our ability to run the gun in a defensive manner at the end of the day.

Reactions: FULL METAL JACKET
1 - 16 of 16 Posts