Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
26,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was expecting a small envelope that was scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. With the blizzard I was not expecting mail to be delivered. While I did not maintain a constant guard on my mail box there was not a postal truck in sight. A few minutes ago I checked the tracking number and here is what I found---"We attempted to deliver your package at 9:56 am on January 23, 2016 and a noticed was left because the mail receptacle was blocked". It goes on the state that I can reschedule a delivery or go to the post office and pick it up. I have never received a mail delivery prior to noon and if the mail receptacle was blocked HOW COULD YOU LEAVE A NOTICE?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was expecting a small envelope that was scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. With the blizzard I was not expecting mail to be delivered. While I did not maintain a constant guard on my mail box there was not a postal truck in sight. A few minutes ago I checked the tracking number and here is what I found---"We attempted to deliver your package at 9:56 am on January 23, 2016 and a noticed was left because the mail receptacle was blocked". It goes on the state that I can reschedule a delivery or go to the post office and pick it up. I have never received a mail delivery prior to noon and if the mail receptacle was blocked HOW COULD YOU LEAVE A NOTICE?
USPS sucks! End of story. It is a government "agency"? that does not work. Anything the government does usually sucks so.....

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I got the same thing last year.

Was expecting a package. Was home all day. Nothing came. Checked online and said delivery was attempt but no one home to receive it (never stopped them from leaving the package before, wasn't sent certified or special). No one came or rang the bell.

I got it the next day but was annoyed.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I had a similar thing with Fedex and a package of $5,000 biologic drugs that I was literally waiting at home for. Tracking went from "Out for Delivery" to "Customer Was Not at Home" or some such thing even though I was in the kitchen the whole time watching. Pulled the surveillance video and watched the whole day, nothing doing in terms of Fedex at my house.

They delivered the next day but the dry ice was gone and the meds unusable as a result (summertime). Shipper resent them and I suspect they got reimbursed because I sent them the video on a USB drive.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Standard default message because mail/packages did not go out Saturday. And yes, technically your mail receptacle was blocked by the foot of snow on the street between your house and the Post office. Chill out, it'll come tomorrow.
I for one am glad I didn't get mail delivery. It would've been soaked and destroyed by the blowing snow. I was soaked by the snow just trying to clear my walk and driveway Saturday.

Reactions: Sig and Walker1847

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
A friend got the same thing, except notice was in an email. Her walk, driveway and mail box were clear the whole time

Reactions: Tonto

·
Not a participant of the LIF circle jerk.
663 Posts
Standard default message because mail/packages did not go out Saturday. And yes, technically your mail receptacle was blocked by the foot of snow on the street between your house and the Post office. Chill out, it'll come tomorrow.
I for one am glad I didn't get mail delivery. It would've been soaked and destroyed by the blowing snow. I was soaked by the snow just trying to clear my walk and driveway Saturday.
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Pfffff... As the years pass it takes less and less for them to come up with more and more excuses.

·
Registered
26,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about just saying "due to snow emergency we did not leave the Post Office and will deliver on the next business day".

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Then it's their fault not yours

Reactions: ChiefSailer

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Pfffff... As the years pass it takes less and less for them to come up with more and more excuses.
They got rain, sleet, snow and gloom of night in the last contract.
We love our carrier but even she agrees it's like herding cats sometimes to make sense of some of the shi....stuff.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
I got the same message, except it was at 9:57 am. At that time, there was less than 2" of snow covering the path from the street to my front door. I never get mail delivered before 2 pm.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Then they should say it didn't go out, not irritate people by trying to make it seem like their fault....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just retired from USPS after 34+ years. I had a mounted route in a small office, the trucks absolutely SUCK in bad weather, no traction at all, sometimes no heat also. You, the patron are supposed to keep a path clear to the mailbox, while I did appreciate the snowblower wide path , the Postal manual wants an area before and after the mailbox clear ( 10+ 10 feet) to drive up to and leave. If I did get out and walk through the snow to your mailbox or front porch, etc. to deliver the mail or parcel and I slipped and got hurt doing my job as expected of me then I would get an attaboy and a letter of warning for slipping on ice. Nice place to work for ( sarcasm). The current letter carriers are aging and the new hires start at $15. They are expected to work seven days a week ( Sunday Amazon Prime delivery). Most of these people quit after week or two, Long Island District has a 20-30% retention rate for new hires.Is the service worse now than 5 years ago? Hell yes it is and it will only get worse as carriers retire or quit and the work load is placed on less people to do their job and the job or jobs that cannot be filled. As to the original question- the scanners that the clerks and carriers use to scan the barcodes on parcels do not have the ability to tell anyone that a delivery was not attempted for any reason. God forbid that L'Enfant Plaza ( Postal HQ ) realize that the employees are actually human or that the stinking motto on the GPO in Manhattan was decided by the architect and not the Post Office. Rant over.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts