Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
I would have removed the Mag and racked the bolt before looking down the barrel.
Seriously. Job 1, Task 1, Step 1: REMOVE MAGAZINE.

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Safe direction before that dude

he did 4 years as a jarhead, the rest of the time in the national guard. He retired from NJ state police. cut the dude some slack
Okay, I'll give you that. Safe direction first, remove mag second.

Cut him some slack? Hell, no. With his credentials, he should know better and should teach better practices.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts

he did 4 years as a jarhead, the rest of the time in the national guard. He retired from NJ state police. cut the dude some slack
No slack when it comes to my safety anymore. My wife and I got showered with shotgun pellets at a local shop/range. The owner and very respected expert neglected to make sure a newbie student clear his weapon placed on the bench. While the two discussed his target, the newbie picked up the shotgun and fingered the trigger. The blast took a divot out of the cement floor and we go the deflected load. If I hadn't turned towards my wife I would have gotten it in the face from about 5 feet away. I too am to blame as I neglected to say anything when I saw the closed bolt as the two went downrange to get the target. I didn't want to embarrass the senior expert in front of the newbie.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
No slack when it comes to my safety anymore. My wife and I got showered with shotgun pellets at a local shop/range. The owner and very respected expert neglected to make sure a newbie student clear his weapon placed on the bench. While the two discussed his target, the newbie picked up the shotgun and fingered the trigger. The blast took a divot out of the cement floor and we go the deflected load. If I hadn't turned towards my wife I would have gotten it in the face from about 5 feet away. I too am to blame as I neglected to say anything when I saw the closed bolt as the two went downrange to get the target. I didn't want to embarrass the senior expert in front of the newbie.
GTFO! Damn, thats close.

·
Banned
10,833 Posts
Yeah, I had a guy point a shotgun with a shell in the chamber right at me. Fingered the trigger, I said something, he turned it downrange, racked the slide, and out popped a live round. Nope nope and nope. Glad to hear you guys are okay...relatively speaking.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Okay, I'll give you that. Safe direction first, remove mag second.

Cut him some slack? Hell, no. With his credentials, he should know better and should teach better practices.
You'll give me that bc I was correct. My point was you were wrong and fairly quick to criticize. Food for thought.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The first thing I was taught about firearms in the service was to make them safe. Removing magazine and checking chamber for a round. Nothing was done with a weapon until that was completed. That went for receiving, handing over a weapon at the change of a watch.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I've had a few discussions with idiots like that.... its amazing how often they'll say something like "I KNOW what I'm doing" or "It won't go off" or some other retarded excuse.

Really got into it with one twit at Mitchell Field last year in the lobby... Three of us yelling at him to watch his muzzle, I finally grabbed it and directed it to a safER direction (instead of pointing at everyone in the group that was standing there) Not going to get into the stupidity that he was spewing.

Reactions: Barnslayer

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts

The inane whining here is cringe worthy. Maybe he should have gone all lega-departmen-style and stated beforehand that firearms are innately dangerous and capable of causing death or serious physical injury if used improperly. Then he should have clearly and loudly stated the The Four Rules so we all can get warm and squishy inside that we now know he really has safety on his mind for all our sakes. Then he could have said that one should read the owner's manual and be intimately familiar with the operation of and before using any firearm. Then, if you have any questions to address them to your appropriate instructor before you undertake the hazardous act of handling a firearm. And while I did notice he had his finger straight and off the trigger the entire time he never verbalized it and reminded us that that's what you should do too. What a jerk.

All better? I am stunned that none of you cited his brazen disregard for best practices by not having ear and eye pro on.

Training takes place out there that doesn't compensate for, or attenuate for the lowest common denominator. Get over it. There's a league waaay over most of our heads(mine very much included) where it happens all the time.

And because there are some scary ND stories out there this guy gets lumped in with them? Odd.

You all(save for one) have seemed to have neglected the context of the video. It's a battlefield pick up. It's a functional assessment of the weapon's firing ability to be put to use immediately. Period. If one sees a bent barrel it'd most likely be instantly discarded. No need to pull that mag as it's useless due to the bent barrel. He's "triaging" the gun by going over it in an orderly fashion.

Maybe you guys should ask Brian Chontosh if he pulled the mags on a couple battlefield pick ups while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

So the video isn't for 90% of the people viewing it(acutely so here) as they'll never put it to use.

Maybe most should just stick with the tamer Nutnfancy Youtube Channel.

And so no one gets their panties in a wad, I dig safety. I practice safety. I taught my kids everything as early and as often as I could. By the time my little guy was 6 he could do the four rules. Learned them on his Nerf gun. Handling a weapon at the range or home is a regimented task bordering on a religious ritual.

Oh teh noes!!!

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
If LIF isn't a major league operators site ( and it isn't, and nobody thinks it is), than why be disappointed if we react in a manor reflecting more caution? My question is how is what he did an evaluation of a bent barrel? Wouldn't you want to line your eye up with the barrel? There's only two places to do that. One of them is the muzzle and the other at the receiver end. If it's bent like a potato chip it's pretty much self-evident without doing either.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
If you are picking up and using your enemy's discarded gun subsequently found by you then you are either:

An idiot- because the easiest way fro your enemy to kill you without direct engagement is to booby-trap your sorry self, and presumably they'd have no problem throwing a kaboom round in there and planting it on one of their dead guys...

OR.....

You ran out of ammo or experienced a terminal malfunction with your own weapon- in which case this gun is your only option. In that event, it's desperation rule playbook- you are not going to be critiquing the barrel straightness like you are selecting a pool cue, if it has a serious enough kink in it to keep the bullet from exiting the other end you'd know that by looking at the gun, the tank tracks over the stock or the items it was wedged between when used as a prybar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.