Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the very definition of SNAFU.

http://www.rt.com/usa/311234-us-marines-guns-vienna/

Nine American marines have been arrested in Vienna's airport for carrying assault rifles and handguns on board a commercial airliner without proper clearance. They were on their way to Ukraine to take part in Exercise Saber Guardian that began July 20.

The incident took place on July 19, but was only reported to the media a fortnight later.
The servicemen, traveling from Alaska, reportedly had problems with a connecting flight at Vienna's Schwechat Airport and had to leave the transit area to rebook, Austrian Defense Ministry spokesman Colonel Michael Bauer said. They were traveling on commercial flights.
While they were having their luggage scanned, airport security spotted M16 assault rifles and pistols in their travel bags. The servicemen had no permits allowing them to carry arms.

Austrian police arrested the marines, who were then expelled from the country along with their weapons on a return flight bound for Washington.
The incident took place accidentally, US European Command spokesperson David Westover told Sputnik.
"By unintentional oversight, the necessary clearances required for transiting Austria were not properly processed prior to their departure. The Austrian authorities were very helpful in resolving this issue," spokesman said, adding that the marines have since returned to their home duty station in Alaska.
"US European Command and the US Embassy in Vienna are grateful for the support of the Austrian Government to coordinate the onward movement of nine US marines last week," Westover said.

Karen Kwiatkowski, a retired US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel, told RT that the soldiers had not declared them on purpose.
The fact that the US State Department attempted to get permits retrospectively immediately after the incident indicates that "this is not how it is supposed to be done," Kwiatkowski said.
A passenger on US domestic flights has to declare any weapons in his luggage, she pointed out, so the soldiers "probably did not declare [weapons] on purpose, thinking they could get away with it," because they needed their weapons and could "get in trouble" if they arrived in Ukraine without arms, Kwiatkowski said.
She said that, alternatively, "they figured that they will be refused and would not be able to get there anyway."
Kwiatkowski added: "Technically, this is a violation of not just the airline policy but international law."
The Ukrainian Defense Ministry said earlier in July that the international military exercises Saber Guardian/Rapid Trident-2015 the US soldiers were going to take part in began July 20 and were planned to last through July 31.
They are the biggest military war games to be held in Ukraine in 2015, with over 1,800 troops from 18 countries participating.

The drills are being held at the Yavoriv training center, Europe's largest of its kind, in Ukraine's Lvov Region, near the border with Poland.

Moscow has repeatedly warned NATO that the series of military drills in Ukraine could undermine the fragile peace agreement between Kiev and the rebels in the southeast of the country.
Despite Kiev's efforts to provide its troops with US-made lethal weapons, Washington has denied the requests, instead providing Kiev with non-lethal supplies and armored vehicles.

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
When a bunch of US Marines are near you, and they have guns, the only thing to do is breathe a sigh of relief (assuming your a good guy in an airport).

Edit for beer spelling

·
Banned
2,538 Posts
Nine Marines arrested and expelled from Austria? They didnt have any ammo...If they had, They would be an American flag flying over Vienna today....just sayin
9 grunts would have taken Austria, Italy and France with 2 guys standing around! They threw them out of Austria out of fear that we were going to invade! I guess they were having WWII flashbacks!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Let ISIS set up camp at that airport and we'll see how fast the Austrian gov't is begging for a few jarheads to hang around.

Can't help but remember Kipling's "Tommy Atkins"

Tommy
I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.