Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For most instances, I like UPS except for when they drop packages off at the wrong address which is a common problem for me, Luckily, I track the items and know the 3 houses that they deliver the packages to so usually I recover my items.
This however is a little different.

about 3 months ago, I ordered a specific crash bar for my motorcycle (I have an adventure off road bike and I use it as such the crash bars protect items such as the cases, gas tank which are very expensive to replace should I drop the bike on rocky terrain replacement tank and plastics alone is $3,500.)

This particular crash bar is built is south africa and retails for about $1,000.00 Long story short, I brought two units in through an US distributer, took 13 weeks to get, when they got to me, one of the sets of bars was missing the hardware kit to mount to the bike! the other set was for a friend and had the parts kit, I called the US distributor, explained the situation and they basically told me to pound sand. Called the company in SA, they told me they could only ship through the distributor due to customs arrangements.I then contacted UPS, put in a claim, for a trace, took photos of the other brackets that came with the set in the original packaging, e mailed the photos to ups, provided a detailed description, 3 days later nothing was found, I figured that it was lost forever. Now this left me to purchase needed materials and fabricate all the brackets and mounts (luckily I had the other set to duplicate which made it much easier) The bracketry and sourcing the bolts, fabricating bushings and standoffs took me about 10 hrs to complete. All is mounted, works as needed, bothers me a little bit every time I get on the bike because I feel as if I got shafted and I know it is not perfect from the manufacturer (not that it matters but I know its not factory)

Now to the reason why UPS Blows, I get a call from my friend this evening who knows how much this bothers me, who tells me to go on Ebay and look at a listing, low and behold, there are my brackets and hardware pack, listed by a seller or should I say the same exact type of brackets and hardware pack that I needed that UPS lost. Now knowing that what I ordered is fairly uncommon to get in the US, They are all ordered factory direct from SA, not many people have them, especially in the color that I ordered them in, couple that with I was missing my brackets and there they were for sale I have a reasonable suspicion that those were in fact my brackets. The seller, had 99.7% positive feedback so I decided to contact them as to inquire where they got them from and explained my situation, They replied that they purchased them at a lost items auction with a lot of other items BAM those were my brackets! the seller indicated that I should make an offer if I wanted them. Now since the seller legally purchased them I have no ill will towards them however I am probably the only person in the US who knows what they are, what they are for and would have a use for them, so I made an offer, they countered and I re countered, I am going back and forth with them, as I really don't want to pay 2xs for the same item and the price that they were asking is a bit much for what they are ( a month ago I would have paid it)

This is definitely a bang on UPS, as I called them this evening with my trace number, explained the situation and they told me if something is not claimed after 30 days it goes to auction. But But, they had my trace and photos right? the response was, we can't look through every item we have a warehouse in the midwest where we just ship these types of things to, remove them from the packaging, inventory the items and put them in a box on a shelf, after 30 days with no claim the inventory gets sold off. Guess where the seller is located? the mid west.

What would you guys do? I know this is stupid but, I am a little ticked off right now, As I regularly trusted UPS with high value items

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Im surprised the company here had that attitude. They should have filed a claim with UPS. Im using FedEx more than UPS lately. I only wish the stuff coming to me came through them. In 2008 I sent a steering column for my car to a place in MI to have it rebuilt. I waited close to 6 weeks for it to come back. The day UPS delivered it the regular driver was out sick. The replacement driver walked up my front lawn and threw the box over the bushes on to my porch. (and you know what that looks like, lol). I was in my basement when it happened buy my wife saw the guy do it. The column was busted to crap. I jumped in my truck and drove all over the town to find the guy. Caught him in the hardware store. Of course he denied throwing it. Then I asked him if he was calling my wife a liar. Game changer. When I told him my wife saw him do it he admitted it and asked me not to file a complaint.
The next day I drove over to Farmingville with the box. Walked in and threw the box across the room. The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was nuts. I told him that's the way it was delivered to my house by their driver. He got a manager and I threw the driver right under the bus.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I'm guessing the package was damaged in some way, holes that were taped over or maybe the box was re-taped. These are red flags.
Most damages happen on the conveyor belts and the items that come out can never be deduced to a specific package. My advice would be to put a claim in for the damaged package, stating items were missing. I worked for UPS for 26 years and many times advised my customers to refuse a damaged or re-taped package.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
I use UPS to send my one of a kind hand made quilts to exhibitions and competitions because they protect packages better than fedex. Now this being said, I pay for astronomical insurance on top of the insurance that the organizer pays. Was there not insurance on your package? Also, I would hold the U.S. Dealer responsible since you ordered, and I assume, paid through them.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
It appears that your US distributor leaves much to be desired.
I'd have shipped them back and cancelled payment if they didn't cheerfully issue a refund.
That said, I have not had any issues with UPS at home, but our guy who delivers to my workplace is known as Mr. Misery.
When he has a big delivery, or it's hot, or it's a day with a Y in it, or the sun is in the sky(!) he throws boxes out of the truck like they owe him money.
We all know to specify FedEx if we're ordering something fragile.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
I misread the title - I thought UPS was offering a new service.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,586 Posts
Having spent 25 years with both companies ,I could tell you a dozen reasons why this happened. Bottom line is the US distributer is a douche.
As stated a claim should have been initiated, if paid with CC call them put in a claim you have not received your goods, it may not be too late.
Poor packaging was likely the physical cause. But in this society no body wants to accept responsibility . Especially if its going to cost them $10.

Rubber mittens PM me and I can give you a couple of ideas on how to improve your deliveries going forward.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,586 Posts
It appears that your US distributor leaves much to be desired.
I'd have shipped them back and cancelled payment if they didn't cheerfully issue a refund.
That said, I have not had any issues with UPS at home, but our guy who delivers to my workplace is known as Mr. Misery.
When he has a big delivery, or it's hot, or it's a day with a Y in it, or the sun is in the sky(!) he throws boxes out of the truck like they owe him money.
We all know to specify FedEx if we're ordering something fragile.
You do not have to deal with this, its your product PM me for details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.