Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no reason to travel way upstate for upland bird hunting. Our preserve, located at exit 69 releases about 3000 - 4000 birds per season (Oct through March). You can book guided hunts or join with a membership. As a member, you don't need a dog because our members will take you hunting at no charge. We are having a meeting on October 4th at 10AM at our clubhouse. LIE to exit 69 (Wading River Road) head south to the first light and make a right. Go approx 2/10 of a mile and see the banner by the farm stand. Make a right and follow signs to the clubhouse. Come see what we are all about. We will also be at the gun show this weekend in Hauppauge. Stop by and talk to us.
www.birdsunlimited.net

Attachments

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Man, I've had some of the best times of my life hunting pheasants there.
Great place to train a new bird dog. Or start some youngsters or noobs in the sport. You don't need a dog to hunt there as a non-member- they have guides who take you out with their dogs.
Do they still do the "tower shoots"? Those were wild.

Reactions: trapshooterbob

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Yup...we do tower shoots and some corporations use us for them too. Then a member makes a reservation for the next day and can see lots of birds
We hunted Lidos Game Farm in Columbia County...On Monday we would go since it was a day my dad and relatives could take of from the restaurant business. We would always get more birds from the weekend tower shoots.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just got back from the meeting at the club house. Signed up for the family membership. Friendly group, got multiple offers to take my son and I out to hunt over dog(s). My son is excited to start hunting. Hopefully we'll be able to get out there often this season. Thanks to the OP, I was not aware of this resource so close by.

-Mark-

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I hope things have changed there in the last couple of years. I was there about 4-5 years ago with a friend of mine, an older gentleman. The person who put out the birds for us that morning looked like some spaced out druggie who took a ride with a friend to "put out the birds".
They both came back looking very stoned and personally I think they put out about 1/2 the pheasant they were supposed to.
I was also there the year before with my a couple of the guys I hunt with regulary and the experience was much better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Leftjammer,
Having been a member at Birds Unlimited for some 12 years now, I was surprised by your post. The club is a non-profit, no drug use is allowed and the birds are put out by the farm owner's wife or one of the club guides, neither of whom fits that description . Being As a nonprofit there is no motive for anyone to put out fewer than the allotted birds. Having said this, there was a period some time ago when the farmers wife was ill and she may have had some friends put out the birds on an occasion or two, Perhaps that is what you encountered. I know that sometimes I put my own birds out, or maybe I will ride along on the release or just stay at the clubhouse. You can always see how many birds they leave with and they return with empty boxes.
Keep in mind that we are fully transparent and any member knows what is going on financially or otherwise at any time. Our objective is to have just enough money at the end of the season to plant the fields the next year.
The two really nice things about our club is that if you don't have a dog and you are a member, you will be taken out by other members who have dogs at no charge. The second thing is that when the fields are not reserved, you can just show up and hunt the fields without reservation and take up to 2 birds. Often if I get out of work early, I go for an hour or two and it's not uncommon to find 6 or more leftover birds. I take my allowed 2 birds and then go home or continue to hunt without shooting just to watch the dogs work. There are very few members so getting hunt time is never a problem.
We strive to give everyone a quality hunt. Short video here

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was wondering something..I own Fins to Feathers Taxidermy in Farmingdale, and used to do alot of work for Frank Cavalieri when he was involved with your club. I did quite a few mounts for him, and also some displays for the club, such as the pheasants in the glass case, and the dead mount birds with the wagon wheel. Are you guys still recomending us? If not, I would like my mounts back, as the deal was mounts for display in return for referrals. I have not heard from anyone in the club recently, and this post re-kindled my memory..

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
moose -
thanks for the reply. I can only honestly report my experience at BU.
Like my post said, when I was there the first time I had a good time.
We spent about an hr with one of the club members, told us what to expect and out we went.
Came back a couple of years later and it just wasn't the same.
We may give it a try again after deer season.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
I wish I had some extra cash would love to take my son there to take some birds.
Took him up state last weekend to do a little small game / check the stands and house and he was so excited.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
use to do a lot of pheasant hunting when i had my dog KC aka Fat girl but after i lost her and with my bad knees i have not gone in years but always did enjoy it

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.