Long Island Shooters Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I just submited my certificate to Yaphank yesterday and was told it could be as little as 3 weeks or as much as 12 weeks before they call me.
Instructors at Advanced training where I took the course said some of their students called them upon obtaining unrestricted from Yapahank. 3 of them did and average waiting time was a week to 2 weeks for them, they got the call came in and where handed new CCW PERMITS
Im dropping mine off Tuesday, ill post upon return

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I finished

My 18hrs today
Nobody knows as the Sept.1st Hochul law is pretty vogue. Its says you have to take that clurse when you renew your CCW. Instructors dont know if it is every 3 years, they said nobody knows...
Taken directly from the CCIA:
"An applicant
required to complete the training required herein prior to renewal of a
license issued prior to the effective date of this subdivision shall
only be required to complete such training for the first renewal of such
license after such effective date. "

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I should clarify something here. People who teach armed security guard courses are NOT YET "duly authorized instructors" under State Law. Security guard instructors get their credentials from NYS DCJS. They won't be "duly authorized instructors" until July 15, 2023. Until then you are looking only at NRA, DEC, and 4H certified instructors, military people, etc. Although it is possible that some security guard training school instructors also have these credentials.

Sorry for the confusion.

All these translate into additional reasons to wait.
Yes thats true, our Instructors were NRA certified which is required by State to provide such training

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
"I should clarify something here. People who teach armed security guard courses are NOT YET "duly authorized instructors" under State Law. Security guard instructors get their credentials from NYS DCJS"
As per what you're saying its not correct. Advanced Training is a Security Guard school/facility and they are accredited by State as an NRA Instructors to provide such class

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
"I should clarify something here. People who teach armed security guard courses are NOT YET "duly authorized instructors" under State Law. Security guard instructors get their credentials from NYS DCJS"
As per what you're saying its not correct. Advanced Training is a Security Guard school/facility and they are accredited by State as an NRA Instructors to provide such class
Gotcha. There was a typo in your post so I wasn't sure what you meant.

Assuming you are correct with regard to what credentials Advanced Training holds, you are mixing them together.

NRA Instructors are accredited by the NRA, not New York State. They are trained by NRA Training Counselors who sign off on their training and the NRA HQ grants them Certified Instructor status in whatever discipline they were trained in. Provided it is a discipline involving "small arms," these instructors are considered "duly authorized instructors" under NYS law and can therefore teach the 18 hour concealed carry course required under CCIA.

In contrast, "Security Guard Training Schools," their instructors, and other DCJS certified instructors (such as for police, etc.) are accredited by New York State, not the NRA. The certificate is, in turn, issued by New York State. These individuals are NOT YET "duly authorized instructors" under NYS law and therefore cannot teach the 18 hour concealed carry course required under CCIA. However, they will be as of July 15, 2023.

So, if you are getting NYS CCW training from a security guard school it is not because they are NYS DCJS certified. It is because they happen to hold other credentials that make them "duly authorized" such as also being NRA instructors, 4H instructors, etc. This is not usual at all. But if someone is getting their training from place that provides security guard training prior to 7/15/23, they should do their due dilligence in making sure they hold these other non-DCJS credentials.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
For anyone who already took the class and submitted their certificate to Suffolk County (Yaphank), and got their converted license, how long did it take? 3 weeks and counting for me.
There is another thread on this, and I think there are a number of comments on the SCPD timeline thread about the upgrades. I think earlier this week I saw it was taking about a month. prior to that I saw it was about 2 weeks.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts