Long Island Shooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Definitely not
Have you tried or know someone who has, or asked about it?

People who teach armed security guard courses are "duly authorized instructors" under State Law. The course is 47 hours not 18 and even the goofy state faqs say a licensing officer can use his discretion for training that meets or exceeds the requirements if taken with the last five years.

Stephen,if the answer ends up being no, another approach you might take is asking if your security guard instrucotrs if they will issue you a certificate saying that you have complied with the training requirements under 400(19)/CCIA

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Sig45 you are incorect, you dont need to take a course if you do not wish to recertify. Its mandatory once your renewal is up, if you do not take the course than only premises will be issued
Current there is no option to change classification during the renewal process. Your new license will be the same as the license being renewed according to the renewal paperwork I received last month.

Reactions: Peconic Paladin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Have you tried or know someone who has, or asked about it?

People who teach armed security guard courses are "duly authorized instructors" under State Law. The course is 47 hours not 18 and even the goofy state faqs say a licensing officer can use his discretion for training that meets or exceeds the requirements if taken with the last five years.

Stephen,if the answer ends up being no, another approach you might take is asking if your security guard instrucotrs if they will issue you a certificate saying that you have complied with the training requirements under 400(19)/CCIA
I spoke to the instructor for the course i have registered I also am a holder of a security license and im in process of taking my armed guard... that is how I know.that this particular course does not overlap or even gives you a break on the 18hrs requirements

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I spoke to the instructor for the course i have registered I also am a holder of a security license and im in process of taking my armed guard... that is how I know.that this particular course does not overlap or even gives you a break on the 18hrs requirements
Gotcha. Did the instructor specifically say the SCPD does not accept his armed guard course? If not, I would follow up because this is not normally information an instructor would have and he doesn't have any say over the process. Only the licensing officer would be the one to make a decision on whether previously had experience would count.

Have you asked if your instructor would also issue you a certificate for the 18 hour course while doing your 47 hour course? Three is normally 90%+ overlap with the remaining 10 being a review of the the storage and other legal requirements of the CCIA and a written test if there is not one offered as part of your guard training.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
A little info please. My Suffolk Sportsman (no longer) renews in 2027. I want CCarry. Will it now renew in 2025? And when do I need to take the 18 hour course? I'm a retired Armed Security Guard and I'm really tired of these classes.
You have to take a course that i started today to get your full carry. And yes if you take it now as i am you will need to renew in 2025

·
Aim High
912 Posts
I have a Suffolk Sportsman up for renewal in 2027. I applied to amend to "carry" on July 18, 2022. $5.00 check cashed. September 1 came and went. I'm sure I'm waiting for something but just don't know what.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts

I should clarify something here. People who teach armed security guard courses are NOT YET "duly authorized instructors" under State Law. Security guard instructors get their credentials from NYS DCJS. They won't be "duly authorized instructors" until July 15, 2023. Until then you are looking only at NRA, DEC, and 4H certified instructors, military people, etc. Although it is possible that some security guard training school instructors also have these credentials.

Sorry for the confusion.

All these translate into additional reasons to wait.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts