Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

· Registered
2,628 Posts
I am good until 2026 as well. I added a pistol last week in Yaphank. They did not change the class. It still says Sportsman.
That jives with what has been posted here. Basically they are not bothering to change anything until you go in and say you want premises or carry. I suspect most people will choose "premises" so they don't have to bother with the training, and of those that want carry, the majority will do so when they get closer to renewal/three years after issuance.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That jives with what has been posted here. Basically they are not bothering to change anything until you go in and say you want premises or carry. I suspect most people will choose "premises" so they don't have to bother with the training, and of those that want carry, the majority will do so when they get closer to renewal/three years after issuance.
I think most people are awaiting State to change the mandate of that course required for the Upgrade ( talking about those who hold premises or sportsman)
I have a feeling that eventually those who hold either one wont be required to obtain it. It will apply to all new applicants. But thats just wishful thinking.

· Still a David Crockett kid
2,849 Posts
My license expires in December, and I just received my renewal letter which I have yet to open, I am going to stay with the Sportsman/Premise license as I am still planning a move soon to S. Carolina and yes, I know that option is not open to many of the LIF members at the present time.

· Registered
2,628 Posts
My license expires in December, and I just received my renewal letter which I have yet to open, I am going to stay with the Sportsman/Premise license as I am still planning a move soon to S. Carolina and yes, I know that option is not open to many of the LIF members at the present time.
You are doing the right thing in waiting, in my opinion, but fyi: you have a Sportsman/Carry (which now means "Carry"), not Sportsman/Premises. "Sportsman" WAS the proper cause for issuing the carry license as I'm sure you checked the box for "Carry Concealed" when you applied and WAS the "proper causes" your license was prevoiusly restricted to prior to September 1. That being said, it's probably a good idea to just go Premises in December until you figure out your itinerary.

· Aim High
975 Posts
A little info please. My Suffolk Sportsman (no longer) renews in 2027. I want CCarry. Will it now renew in 2025? And when do I need to take the 18 hour course? I'm a retired Armed Security Guard and I'm really tired of these classes.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You are doing the right thing in waiting, in my opinion, but fyi: you have a Sportsman/Carry (which now means "Carry"), not Sportsman/Premises. "Sportsman" WAS the proper cause for issuing the carry license as I'm sure you checked the box for "Carry Concealed" when you applied and WAS the "proper causes" your license was prevoiusly restricted to prior to September 1. That being said, it's probably a good idea to just go Premises in December until you figure out your itinerary.
If you dont mind me asking....
Which license do you hold at the moment? Thank you

· Registered
280 Posts
A little info please. My Suffolk Sportsman (no longer) renews in 2027. I want CCarry. Will it now renew in 2025? And when do I need to take the 18 hour course? I'm a retired Armed Security Guard and I'm really tired of these classes.
yes you still need to complete the course before you can get your carry. I did mine at guardian security in deer park then u hand in your certificate to scpd. That was 2 weeks ago there computers are down cuz of that hack that happend but they will start processing soon they said

· Registered
280 Posts
your incorrect if you ask the scpd sportsman is range and premises. Yes i agree it should be a carry but its not. u need to go threw new motions

· Registered
285 Posts
yes you still need to complete the course before you can get your carry. I did mine at guardian security in deer park then u hand in your certificate to scpd. That was 2 weeks ago there computers are down cuz of that hack that happend but they will start processing soon they said
You take the course, go to SCPB given them your certificate and they will give you a new license that’s CC no questions asked?

· Registered
321 Posts
A Sportsman license is a concealed carry license.

Suffolk County is recently claiming that they are changing Sportsman licenses from concealed carry to premise licenses. My belief is that this will be challenged and defeated.
Myself, I have copies of my official NYS pistol license application and documents, provided by SCPD PLB and NYS, clearly indicating that my license is a CCW license with a Sportsman restriction.
It is NOT a premise license with a Sportsman endorsement.
The "Carry Concealed" box is checked, the "Possess on Premises" box is not checked.

I understand the logic of wanting to believe what SCPD PLB tells you verbally. Especially for someone new to the community, and with a new license. Hell, that is what should be the case. This is not the case.

SCPD PLB staff is repeating what they are told to say. They DO NOT KNOW. They DO NOT DECIDE.
These injustices are being created and spewed forth by higher up the chain...the Commissioner, the County Executive, other Suffolk County or NYS politicians. One of the problems is that nobody owns where these comes from exactly. I suspect we will never know. And of course, that is 100% intentional. It is hard to fight if you can't see your target.
We are in a time of turmoil, and so much of these controversies will be hammered out in the courts. Maybe they'll win, maybe they won't. We'll see.

By all means, I hope you share what they tell you, but don't just swallow it all as confirmed 100% absolute truths, and repeat it as hard fact. This is part of the scheme in my opinion. If false facts are spread wide enough, they get believed, accepted, and can become facts.

There are legal fights in process, and I'm sure there will be many more going forward. I believe we are in a time where we should support those battles, and resist the unconstitutional tyranny and infringements.

Stand firm.

· Registered
280 Posts
A Sportsman license is a concealed carry license.

Suffolk County is recently claiming that they are changing Sportsman licenses from concealed carry to premise licenses. My belief is that this will be challenged and defeated.
Myself, I have copies of my official NYS pistol license application and documents, provided by SCPD PLB and NYS, clearly indicating that my license is a CCW license with a Sportsman restriction.
It is NOT a premise license with a Sportsman endorsement.
The "Carry Concealed" box is checked, the "Possess on Premises" box is not checked.

I understand the logic of wanting to believe what SCPD PLB tells you verbally. Especially for someone new to the community, and with a new license. Hell, that is what should be the case. This is not the case.

SCPD PLB staff is repeating what they are told to say. They DO NOT KNOW. They DO NOT DECIDE.
These injustices are being created and spewed forth by higher up the chain...the Commissioner, the County Executive, other Suffolk County or NYS politicians. One of the problems is that nobody owns where these comes from exactly. I suspect we will never know. And of course, that is 100% intentional. It is hard to fight if you can't see your target.
We are in a time of turmoil, and so much of these controversies will be hammered out in the courts. Maybe they'll win, maybe they won't. We'll see.

By all means, I hope you share what they tell you, but don't just swallow it all as confirmed 100% absolute truths, and repeat it as hard fact. This is part of the scheme in my opinion. If false facts are spread wide enough, they get believed, accepted, and can become facts.

There are legal fights in process, and I'm sure there will be many more going forward. I believe we are in a time where we should support those battles, and resist the unconstitutional tyranny and infringements.

Stand firm.
I agree with you im just telling u what there telling me im not saying they aren't dragging there feet on things thats what the state dose.

· Registered
280 Posts
You take the course, go to SCPB given them your certificate and they will give you a new license that’s CC no questions asked?
after you give them the certificate they told me they would call for that second interview for you to give them your social media. But its looking like that might not be needed anymore wich if thats the case they owe me my ccw now . Once i receive a call from them i will absolutely up date. But lets hope the judges ruling sticks

21 - 40 of 95 Posts