Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Ive been a holder of a Sporstman licensense since November 2021. Decided to give it a try with unrestricted CCL. I registered with Advanced Training in Smithtown for 16hrs in class and 2hrs on the range. This particular spot had few seats open in the upcoming weeks as well as were the cheapest one at $450, while other places i looked at were in range of $575-$695
I was told today over the phone at Yaphank office to bring my Certificate of completion as well as $5 money order to have an investigator assigned... thats all i know as of today. Did anybody went tru this process recently and could shine a bit of light on what to expect other than be patient and play the waiting game after that visit....? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I will be following this thread to understand what else (other than training and filing for the amendment) is required for those that already have a license. Beyond that just how long the process will take to complete.

Reactions: chris.rekas

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello all,
Ive been a holder of a Sporstman licensense since November 2021. Decided to give it a try with unrestricted CCL. I registered with Advanced Training in Smithtown for 16hrs in class and 2hrs on the range. This particular spot had few seats open in the upcoming weeks as well as were the cheapest one at $450, while other places i looked at were in range of $575-$695
I was told today over the phone at Yaphank office to bring my Certificate of completion as well as $5 money order to have an investigator assigned... thats all i know as of today. Did anybody went tru this process recently and could shine a bit of light on what to expect other than be patient and play the waiting game after that visit....? Thank you in advance
I have my 16 hour with advanced starting Oct 5th. Heard nothing but good things about them

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Waiting on the federal judge who re heard the case against this bs unconstitutional law on Thursday. Still waiting on decision.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hello all,
You know you already have the license you are “upgrading” to, right?
Are you coming up on renewal? Is that why you are doing it now? To keep it?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Im trying to obtain an unrestricted CCL
You already have that. When the CCIA was passed, they removed the “proper cause” language From the penal Law. There is no such thing as “Sportsman” anymore. There is no more SCPD Handbook anymore (per Gary). Only premises and (now unrestricted) carry However, in order to renew your carry permit, which you currently have, you will need the training certificate and to disclose your social media history. If you don’t want to, you can renew as premises only permit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You already have that. When the CCIA was passed, they removed the “proper cause” language From the penal Law. There is no such thing as “Sportsman” anymore. There is no more SCPD Handbook anymore (per Gary). Only premises and (now unrestricted) carry However, in order to renew your carry permit, which you currently have, you will need the training certificate and to disclose your social media history. If you don’t want to, you can renew as premises only permit.
Sir? Are you sure about that? I mean i apreaciate the info, the thing is that I called Yaphank office and they told me in order to lift restriction from a Sportsman to unrestricted CCL i need to recertify by taking that 18hrs class. Im not up for renewal till 2026 as my Sporstman is valid for 5 years. I even spoke to few places that conduct those classes and i was told the same thing. Until i do so its inly a Sportsman License as it was when I 1st got it a year ago.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Sir? Are you sure about that? I mean i apreaciate the info, the thing is that I called Yaphank office and they told me in order to lift restriction from a Sportsman to unrestricted CCL i need to recertify by taking that 18hrs class. Im not up for renewal till 2026 as my Sporstman is valid for 5 years. I even spoke to few places that conduct those classes and i was told the same thing. Until i do so its inly a Sportsman License as it was when I 1st got it a year ago.
Your license will stay a 'Sportsman". Gary and some others just got renewed and it doesn't say "Premise". That was not an option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is the supposed status of a full carry permit issued prior to the new law? The reason I ask is if they are still recognized then the Sportsman should be full carry as Gary has said. There wasn't any extra training just proof of justification. Since just cause was stricken down, we should all have the same license status.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Yes. The thing you have to remember is that Yaphank is in their own little world. These are the same people that invented a ridiculous "handbook" of rules with stupid stuff like "you can make on stop on the way to the range for non-alcoholic beverages." Absolutely no legal weight. Yaphank may have said "in order to lift restriction from a Sportsman..." but that's already long gone. Here is the pertinent part of another post I wrote on another thread that explains it in more detail:

The Bruen decision did, in fact, grant "unrestricted licenses." This is crystal clear. SCOTUS directly held that there is a constitutional right to carry a gun outside the home and NY cannot require someone to have a "proper cause" in order to exercise that right. Moreover, the CCIA removed that language from the Penal Law and the only carry licenses that exist in New York now are to "have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession subject to the restrictions of state and federal law, by any person." There is no longer any such thing as "Sportsman" "Business" "Employment" or "Full Carry," all of which were "proper causes" in the varous licensing jurisdictions to issue licenses where you could carry the gun on your person loaded. The so-called "restrictions," according to the liberal Second Circuit decision that upheld them, exist because “the licensing officer may restrict a carry license 'to the purposes that justified the issuance.' ” Kachalsky v. Cnty. of Westchester, 701 F.3d 81, 86 (2d Cir. 2012).

Given the SCOTUS, and now even the Legislature itself have both removed the need to "justify the issueance," there are therefore no purposes the carry license can be restricted to. Again this is not something that logically follows from the decision. It IS what the decision and subsequent law changes did.

I'm in the same boat as you in that I am not up for renewal until 2026. Because it was last issued in 2021, I am going to have to take that class within the next TWO years (2024) if I want to keep my "carry" license. If I want to go premises, I can amend my license at that time and hang onto it until 2026.

I personally have what used to be known as a "Full Carry." However, because of all the sensitive and restricted places in the CCIA, I now cannot carry anywhere someone with a "Sportsman" cannot. My larger point is that, even if what Yaphank is saying were true (it's not), an "unrestricted" license (like my Full Carry) isn't going to get you anything you don't have now ie the ability to carry loaded on your person at home, while going to the range, or actually afield hunting. At least not until 2024. By then we may have a new court order, a new governor (God willing), licensing bureaus that actually have an idea of what they are talking about, and more cheaper instructors.

to unrestricted CCL i need to recertify by taking that 18hrs class. Im not up for renewal till 2026 as my Sporstman is valid for 5 years. I even spoke to few places that conduct those classes and i was told the same thing. Until i do so its inly a Sportsman License as it was when I 1st got it a year ago.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes. The thing you have to remember is that Yaphank is in their own little world. These are the same people that invented a ridiculous "handbook" of rules with stupid stuff like "you can make on stop on the way to the range for non-alcoholic beverages." Absolutely no legal weight. Yaphank may have said "in order to lift restriction from a Sportsman..." but that's already long gone. Here is the pertinent part of another post I wrote on another thread that explains it in more detail:

The Bruen decision did, in fact, grant "unrestricted licenses." This is crystal clear. SCOTUS directly held that there is a constitutional right to carry a gun outside the home and NY cannot require someone to have a "proper cause" in order to exercise that right. Moreover, the CCIA removed that language from the Penal Law and the only carry licenses that exist in New York now are to "have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession subject to the restrictions of state and federal law, by any person." There is no longer any such thing as "Sportsman" "Business" "Employment" or "Full Carry," all of which were "proper causes" in the varous licensing jurisdictions to issue licenses where you could carry the gun on your person loaded. The so-called "restrictions," according to the liberal Second Circuit decision that upheld them, exist because “the licensing officer may restrict a carry license 'to the purposes that justified the issuance.' ” Kachalsky v. Cnty. of Westchester, 701 F.3d 81, 86 (2d Cir. 2012).

Given the SCOTUS, and now even the Legislature itself have both removed the need to "justify the issueance," there are therefore no purposes the carry license can be restricted to. Again this is not something that logically follows from the decision. It IS what the decision and subsequent law changes did.

I'm in the same boat as you in that I am not up for renewal until 2026. Because it was last issued in 2021, I am going to have to take that class within the next TWO years (2024) if I want to keep my "carry" license. If I want to go premises, I can amend my license at that time and hang onto it until 2026.

I personally have what used to be known as a "Full Carry." However, because of all the sensitive and restricted places in the CCIA, I now cannot carry anywhere someone with a "Sportsman" cannot. My larger point is that, even if what Yaphank is saying were true (it's not), an "unrestricted" license (like my Full Carry) isn't going to get you anything you don't have now ie the ability to carry loaded on your person at home, while going to the range, or actually afield hunting. At least not until 2024. By then we may have a new court order, a new governor (God willing), licensing bureaus that actually have an idea of what they are talking about, and more cheaper instructors.

to unrestricted CCL i need to recertify by taking that 18hrs class. Im not up for renewal till 2026 as my Sporstman is valid for 5 years. I even spoke to few places that conduct those classes and i was told the same thing. Until i do so its inly a Sportsman License as it was when I 1st got it a year ago.
I am good until 2026 as well. I added a pistol last week in Yaphank. They did not change the class. It still says Sportsman.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts