Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings members. I am wrapping up a polish underfolder build and I had a legality question. I know the stock has to be permanently fixed open, and I was wondering if this would be a legal way to do it. In my research online I found a guy who had an easily reversible method, essentially it is a piece of copper pipe halved and clamped around the center support pin to prevent the button from being depressed. See pic below. I was wondering if using this same method with steel pipe and welding the halves together would be considered a legally fixed stock. Any input appreciated, thanks in advance.
 

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
Joined
·
22,005 Posts
If its "easily" reversible you are in a very grey area at best. I would say (and I am not an expert by any means) is that it's illegal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Mad Russian said:
If its "easily" reversible you are in a very grey area at best. I would say (and I am not an expert by any means) is that it's illegal.
from my reading of his post, he did not say that he was using the easily reversible method. He wanted to modify that method and make a permanent fix

My guess is that if you then weld the tubing to the interior of the receiver you should be good to go.
 

·
former ak builder
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
could just exclude the folding mechanism and attatch the stock itself with screws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Matt another build?  when did you get the 2nd??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got everything in on 12/2, just about done now, waiting on a few things to arrive. I'll post pics upon completion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,119 Posts
In this case I think "easily reversible" and "no" would be synonymous in NY. And there is no "NYS approved" method. So you're, or anyone elses idea of what will "fix" the stockm in place and what a DA's idea in a hot media anti-gun climate may be two different things. The only way NYers get jammed up with things like this is get pinched for something else(domestic etc.) Guns get pulled and it gets sent off to a forensic examiner who will make a determination if it's compliant or not. If you were going to fight it(the AWB charge if they deem it an assault weapon) you'll need a damn good pro 2A attorney and an expert witness for your side. Spendy, but if you've got money to burn....

Which begs a few questions...

Why not avoid the potential hassle? Save the extra coin and buy a preban. The amount of $$ you're saving by doing the build yourself will most likely be the hourly or bi-hourly rate of the lawyer you'll hire to defend you.

Are you married to the idea of a non-folding folding stock? The underfolders provide a lame cheek weld. Put a fixed stock on it and enjoy shooting without a stock rod pressed into your cheek bone. It gets lame quick.

If you're just going for the underfolder look I completely get it. But the potential for entaglement, while minimal, is just nice to remove completely.
 

·
dislike Cuomo!
Joined
·
4,995 Posts
Definitely go with the weld.  The underfolder look does provide a pretty neat aesthetic. "pinning" stocks has been the industry standard on LI for a while now, unless your Kathy Rice and think you are above and can therefore make the law.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am definitely set on the underfolder stock. The method I am talking about would definitely not be easily reversible, but I got that idea from a method that is. I have no intention of being a test case or getting jammed up over this, I merely wanted to see if this would be an acceptable way of fixing it, as opposed to having welds on the outside of the receiver and the arms of the underfolder.
 

·
dislike Cuomo!
Joined
·
4,995 Posts
mattyj513 said:
I am definitely set on the underfolder stock. The method I am talking about would definitely not be easily reversible, but I got that idea from a method that is. I have no intention of being a test case or getting jammed up over this, I merely wanted to see if this would be an acceptable way of fixing it, as opposed to having welds on the outside of the receiver and the arms of the underfolder.
well, a special someone on here once talked to a special licensing division who gave a special statement "if it moves, it's telescoping", following that logic I would say "if it don't move, it's fixed" :)
 

·
former ak builder
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
Weld the right outer fork to the stock arm. Problem solved.
smart. now what kind of weld, a mig/tig bead weld, or spot? as to not screw up the internals and springs of his rifle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Weld, braze, solder. There is not ATF opinion letter on what kind of bonding must be to consider the stock unmovable.
You can weld the fork while the stock is off the rifle.
In legal terms, the stock will no longer be foldable as you will be required to disassemble and REMOVE stock completely off the rifle in order to put it into folded position.
 

·
former ak builder
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
Weld, braze, solder. There is not ATF opinion letter on what kind of bonding must be to consider the stock unmovable.
You can weld the fork while the stock is off the rifle.
In legal terms, the stock will no longer be foldable as you will be required to disassemble and REMOVE stock completely off the rifle in order to put it into folded position.
so a quick bead from a mig welder should do it then?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top