Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know in ny state when you get your unarmed license your allowed to carry any type of weapon pepper spray or baton or anything?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
All you are as an security guard is a civilian who can get paid to wear a uniform that says security guard. You have no special powers and can not carry anything that any other civilian can carry. So no to baton or full power pepper spray. No to anything that you can not carry as a civilian. The only arresting powers you have is those of a citizen arrest.

Reactions: RedStorm1911

·
Banned
0 Posts
A security guard does have more authority to use force as part of the job:

2. A person in possession or control of any premises, or a person
licensed or privileged to be thereon or therein, may use physical force
upon another person when he or she reasonably believes such to be
necessary to prevent or terminate what he or she reasonably believes to
be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a
criminal trespass upon such premises. Such person may use any degree of
physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he or she
reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose, and may use deadly
physical force in order to prevent or terminate the commission or
attempted commission of arson, as prescribed in subdivision one, or in
the course of a burglary or attempted burglary, as prescribed in
subdivision three.
3. A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to
be in
, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that
another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such
dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other
person when he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to
prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such
burglary.
4. As used in this section, the following terms have the following
meanings:
(a) The terms "premises," "building" and "dwelling" have the meanings
prescribed in section 140.00;
(
Persons "licensed or privileged" to be in buildings or upon other
premises include, but are not limited to:
(i) police officers or peace officers acting in the performance of
their duties; and
(ii) security personnel or employees of nuclear powered electric
generating facilities located within the state who are employed as part
of any security plan approved by the federal operating license agencies
acting in the performance of their duties at such generating facilities.
For purposes of this subparagraph, the term "nuclear powered electric
generating facility" shall mean a facility that generates electricity
using nuclear power for sale, directly or indirectly, to the public,
including the land upon which the facility is located and the safety and
security zones as defined under federal regulations.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Only 7rounds , those statutes apply to all civilians owners within the state of NY, not just security guards , however , if someone is hired as a security guard , he can exert the rights of the owner against someone commiting a crime. While peace and police officers are empowered by the state to act

Reactions: only7rounds

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
Maglite and pocket knife that's it. Flash is used to survey your area and a (Folding)pocket knife is a tool not a weapon. No brass knocked no shot filled gloves no baton no pepper spray and sure as hell not a gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See iv seen armed gaurds carry pepper spray, handcuffs, expandable baton basically everything a cop carries. So I wasn't sure.

·
Banned
0 Posts
See iv seen armed gaurds carry pepper spray, handcuffs, expandable baton basically everything a cop carries. So I wasn't sure.
Some of it is up to the security company. I understand that an armed guard can qualify with and carry a shotgun at the discretion of the Company.
It also depends on the contract. If you are working on a City, State, or Federal contract, you can carry whatever they tell you to carry on their property.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Anyone can carry handcuffs and lower formulation pepper spray. Only cops can carry batons , large mag lights are ok for anyone to carry. Plenty of Leo's and retired Leo's do security duty and just use their old duty belts.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
They can also open carry ONLY while on the property they are assigned to. If they want to run out to the corner to get a coffee they need to conceal or lock up their side arm. They can only carry like a licensed owner can carry , the same way you could open carry only while on your property. That includes long guns as well. ( as for an owner , he needs to be careful he is not violating nuisance and menacing laws , very hard to make a claim that an armed security guard with a shotgun at a marked post is menacing )

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
All you are as an security guard is a civilian who can get paid to wear a uniform that says security guard. You have no special powers and can not carry anything that any other civilian can carry. So no to baton or full power pepper spray. No to anything that you can not carry as a civilian. The only arresting powers you have is those of a citizen arrest.
Aren't police officers also civilians?

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Also, what you can legally do and what your employer allows you to do may be two different things.

·
Right-wing Sith
6,517 Posts
NYS law does provide for armed private security guard licenses and specifies training requirements. LEOS are exempt from the training requirement. While not classified as peace officers, they do appear to have more authority to use force than non-security guard citizens.

As an aside, licensed Private Investigators are allowed to do security work without a separate guard license and may employ security guards without separate Guard license.

Reactions: willgrah

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I seem to recall that case law said the ASP batons were not "billys" which is the item prohibited under the Penal Law. I should check that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which I find bs because not long ago someone pulled a knife on me after stopping them from stealing all I had were my wits and fist I lied and told him I'm carrying he instantly left prime example why us unarmed gaurds should have at least pepper spray or batons

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which I find bs because not long ago someone pulled a knife on me after stopping them from stealing all I had were my wits and fist I lied and told him I'm carrying he instantly left prime example why us unarmed gaurds should have at least pepper spray or batons
*guards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts