Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to buy this beautiful Arisaka rifle yesterday. I got it for $200 at Britt Arms in Mineola, with a REALLY nice wood stock and a shiny bore. I did some research and I'm pretty sure this was a Nagoya Arsenal rifle between 1939 and 1943. (not 100% about the date range), but I couldn't be more happy with the rifle. I saw it Tuesday and I just had to get it.

If anyone knows a lot about Arisakas and identifying them, please give me some more info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Very nice.
I have a few, one's pretty nice, I think the other's aren't so great. I don't know a whole lot about them (yet), but I was told a couple of things to look for:

Does it have the mum or is it ground off?
Does it have the 'aircraft lead wings' on the rear sight?

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice.
I have a few, one's pretty nice, I think the other's aren't so great. I don't know a whole lot about them (yet), but I was told a couple of things to look for:

Does it have the mum or is it ground off?
Does it have the 'aircraft lead wings' on the rear sight?
Nope. No airplane sights or the mum. Airplane sights help to give an idea of the date range, right?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
A while ago I read a story about an Arisaka rifle someone brought to a gunsmith because a case was stuck in the chamber.Turns some guy was shooting 8mm Mauser ammo out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I like Arisakas. Is that the original finish on that stock? It looks good. I have 2 and I have never shot them. One was sporterized. I bought it to return to military configuration. The other is a very late war rifle. So crude it only has a welded on peep for the rear sight. Barrel was not chrome lined either.
BTW the action has been proven to be one of the strongest of all the bolt actions around. Look up IV8888 Arisaka videos or read Hatchers notebook.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like Arisakas. Is that the original finish on that stock? It looks good. I have 2 and I have never shot them. One was sporterized. I bought it to return to military configuration. The other is a very late war rifle. So crude it only has a welded on peep for the rear sight. Barrel was not chrome lined either.
BTW the action has been proven to be one of the strongest of all the bolt actions around. Look up IV8888 Arisaka videos or read Hatchers notebook.
It probably was refinished because it looks too handsome and in good condition.

And I honestly can't stand when people sportive such a rifle. Even a Mosin 91/30 sportized kind of makes me cringe.

And yeah, i'll definitely watch all of his Arasaka vids now that I have more incentive to.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Nope. No airplane sights or the mum. Airplane sights help to give an idea of the date range, right?
Not too sure. I thought they all came with those sights.

Oh, and another thing to look for is the folding mono-pod.

There was a gorgeous one at the Freeport Gun Show for around $600 - seemed a complete, great condition rifle.

Attachments

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Registered
604 Posts
very jealous if thats all you need. all i have so far is a mosin, so i am pretty far from completing haha. i wish i got into surplus years ago
The first surplus rifle I got was when I was 15 years old and it was a Yugo Mauser. I'm 18 now and have about 4 surplus bolt action rifles. The Arisaka is probably the last rifle I'm buying for a long time.

Luckily it isn't too late though because I still see a lot of neat surplus guns online and in stores.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
It probably was refinished because it looks too handsome and in good condition.

And I honestly can't stand when people sportive such a rifle. Even a Mosin 91/30 sportized kind of makes me cringe.

And yeah, i'll definitely watch all of his Arasaka vids now that I have more incentive to.
Get ready to cringe kid!

Conversion from LER scope on a dovetail mount to a drilled receiver with a cheesoid AK type mount:

cringe.JPG

Yes, that's TWO scopes on the rifle and I briefly though about keeping it like that!

Stage two: Added an AR pistol grip and bipod.

cringe2.JPG

Stage three: Painted the stock.

cringe3.JPG

Since then I hacked another couple of inches from the barrel, made a long bent bolt using McFly's DIY, removed the bipod and pistol grip, cut the scope mount down to bring it lower to the receiver.
The rifle bounces around too much for the bipod and the pistol grip is pointless on this rifle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Congratulations, interesting piece of wood of the rifle. Clean it, shoot it, repeat.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
The first surplus rifle I got was when I was 15 years old and it was a Yugo Mauser. I'm 18 now and have about 4 surplus bolt action rifles. The Arisaka is probably the last rifle I'm buying for a long time.

Luckily it isn't too late though because I still see a lot of neat surplus guns online and in stores.
well i remember when these rifles were cheap. and i also remember being 18 and not having a mortgage, car payment, etc. haha

back in 2013 mosins at classic were $89. i rememember a few years before that seeing SKS for $100. back then my thinking was they will always be available for cheap. haha

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Funny, I just passed the place this morning visiting my MIL in the hospital. Said to the wife that place has been there for a long time and I never stopped in and that I should.
Enjoy your new rifle.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Get ready to cringe kid!

Conversion from LER scope on a dovetail mount to a drilled receiver with a cheesoid AK type mount:

View attachment 72018

Yes, that's TWO scopes on the rifle and I briefly though about keeping it like that!

Stage two: Added an AR pistol grip and bipod.

View attachment 72019

Stage three: Painted the stock.

View attachment 72020

Since then I hacked another couple of inches from the barrel, made a long bent bolt using McFly's DIY, removed the bipod and pistol grip, cut the scope mount down to bring it lower to the receiver.
The rifle bounces around too much for the bipod and the pistol grip is pointless on this rifle.
oh my lmao

I need to take a valium now

1 - 20 of 50 Posts