Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Turkey hunting with a cyinder bore, improved cylinder 18.5 inch!

11K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  phumb 
#1 ·
Hello all, just wondering if anyone can give me any advice regarding a turkey hunt, witth an 18.5 inch barrel. I keep hearing differing opinions online so I wanted a familiar communities take on this. Thanks!

#2 ·
I hope the turkey is real close. Turkey chokes are extra full. If you shoot at a bird with a 18.5" bbl and no turkey choke the only thing you will go home with is an empty shell casing. Turkey hunting is awesome. Go to walmart and drop $350 on a Remington 870 and order a $30 choke and a box of turkey loads from cabelas. You will be hunting with a very capable gun for under $400!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can probably also kill a turkey with a hammer but It would be kind of difficult.
18.5 are for close quarter combat and looking Hollywood cool. They really have no place in the outdoor sports hunting arena. When hunting a turkey your trying to pattern the shot on the small fast moving head out at distances of 40-50 yards. 18.5 I/C just isnt made to do that. Most Turkey are hunted with 12 ga 26-28 barrels on full choke. The modern specific turkey shotguns are upwards of 3.5 inch shell capacity and full 28 barrels to reach way out there. I'm sure you can kill em with a .410 when the conditions are perfect but when it's HUNTING perfect is very rare. You can test how good your gun patterns. Get a big 2'x2' target draw a small circle on it ( About the size of an egg) go back to the distance you'll be shooting from(usually 30- 40 yards) and fire 1 shot at the egg. If there is not a large number of shot inside that egg, your wounding the bird at best not finding it and cursing all the way home.

#8 ·
I would advise against trying to use an 18.5" barrel for most hunting. I would suggest purchasing a 26" or so barrel, with a full choke, and the suggestions on patterning the gun before going out for a hunt isn't a bad idea either (Using same load/barrel/choke as you'll be using while hunting, of course).

#9 ·
would love to go turkey hunting but im also stuck with a 18" HD shotgun.

might try and pick up a benelli nova or H&R pardner, both are 28inch barrels. for now im stuck doing clays which is a little challenging but definitely trains you how to shoot better

#11 ·
Just want to share this. For opening day Spring Turkey my friend asked if he can bring a guest along to hunt. I'm sitting next to this guy calling in these two Toms. The birds were about 18 yards away and I tell him shoot. He missed I shout shoot again his gun jammed. My friend mentioned to this guy everything needed for hunting turkey. This guy had all new camo clothing along with a Semi auto Turkey gun from Stoeger. His ammo was 3.5 inch Magnum. He's lucky the gun didn't burst because it was chambered for 3"Magnum!

He never tested the gun and just went on what was asked of him to get for turkey hunting. Don't rely on gunshops, mistakes happen. Remember what is taught in hunters safety about ammunition.

#12 ·
Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s have a slew of interchangeable barrels. I have a 28" with interchangeable chokes, a 24" rifled for slugs as well as the mainly useless * 18 1/2" for my Mossberg. Your LGS can order them for you and if you frequent the place will give you as good a deal as you will get at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. *(I think the 18 1/2" came with a box of Reynolds wrap.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.