Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am looking for a solution to a problem. Thought I would throw this out there.

Have: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport

Problem: The spare tire is underneath the back end of the vehicle. I am not fond of this design idea. I want to find a way to store it out from under the vehicle without compromising the internal storage area of the vehicle and without putting it atop the vehicle in the luggage rack.

Thought: I have heard of swing away systems that can be installed to the rear hitch receiver, but have not seen one anywhere. Would prefer a swing away to the standard hitch mount as that would also block the rear hatch entry.

Am I making this one too hard?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The hitch mounted spare tire carriers can fold down to the ground so you can open the hatch.
They are between $90-$120 and are a simple bolt on application.
Otherwise take a look at a rear bumper swing away tire carrier. It will cost more money but is definitely a better solution.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The problem is it is going to be noisy. I have had spares under my vehicles for over 18 years and every time I needed them they were accessible. I did have a Bronco with a factory installed swing away carrier and it rattled endlessly.

One time I had a chain and lock on a spare mounted under a van (I worked in the city a lot). When I needed the spare the lock was so corroded the chain had to be cut. That is the only time I needed a tow for a flat.
:-/

·
1000th member
1,203 Posts
Seen it done many ways...never worked like a nice spare,,best thing you can do,,is let down the spare..
grease the cable every spring,,it will be out of the way,no noise,no trouble...also check the tire pressure..

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O1SalsaX said:
The hitch mounted spare tire carriers can fold down to the ground so you can open the hatch.
They are between $90-$120 and are a simple bolt on application.
Otherwise take a look at a rear bumper swing away tire carrier. It will cost more money but is definitely a better solution.
The ones I saw were not swing down. Can you show me (website?) where I would find these?

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Those swing out tire carries aren't tough to install. Most of them bolt to the frame with a supplied adaptor. Though, if it aint broke don't fix it.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
The problem with spare tires mounted under the truck is the old "out of sight, out of mind" rule. How often do we crawl up under the truck to check the spare tire pressure. At least, on the back of the truck, we have less of an excuse.

Check out a place like J&J Trailers in Oakdale, or Trailer City, in Hempstead. They both should have a decent selection of tire carriers. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll also get to ask some questions like ... does it rattle? How can I make it not rattle? Will it tear my bumper steel? Also, if you need, both places will install the unit.

Online, you could try American Van Equipment. I'm quite sure that there's others out there also.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T.Webb said:
The problem with spare tires mounted under the truck is the old "out of sight, out of mind" rule. How often do we crawl up under the truck to check the spare tire pressure. At least, on the back of the truck, we have less of an excuse.

Check out a place like J&J Trailers in Oakdale, or Trailer City, in Hempstead. They both should have a decent selection of tire carriers. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll also get to ask some questions like ... does it rattle? How can I make it not rattle? Will it tear my bumper steel? Also, if you need, both places will install the unit.

Online, you could try American Van Equipment. I'm quite sure that there's others out there also.
The out of sight thought is my thought as well as getting it changed faster in an emergency.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a two door blazer for ten years with a rear swing away tire carrier.  I put well over 200 thousand miles on that truck. The spare tire rattled and rusted and looked like hell. Bottom line is I never had a flat tire ,ever. So I say if you are not driving in some remote area you don't need the damn spare . Have the number of a tire shop that does road calls and maybe put one of those flat fix cans onboard.  Also most important , when the tires start showing wear replace them .

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Throw it on the roof!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We used to have a Ford Explorer Sport years ago and I think that Steve had to change the tire once. It was not really hard to get it down and put on in an emergency. Next day went to the tire store and got it all back to normal.

I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
foxfire said:
Here's a hitch mounted swing away tire carrier. Nice but not cheap. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/TireGate/TireGate.htm
Saw this one already. Was looking for one that is hitch mounter where it drops down. Those, from my understanding are cheaper. I easily find the pole stype taht just slides into the rear hitch receiver but it doesn't fold down to allow access to the rear hatch.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I keep a couple shipping blankets in the back of my van, I have them so I can lay them out to get under if needed (I keep a donut spare inside, since the hitch receiver is blocking having the spare underneath, otherwise that's where it would be), also good for if you get stuck, you toss the blanket under teh wheels and drive right out. Warmth in an emergency, protecting items being hauled... gotta have them!

On the roof will add drag and wind noise (uses more gas) on the back is noisy, rack rusts, the BODY rusts where a swing away mounts (looking at a tenant's old bronco with a swing-away)

And, The spare is usually mounted to the rack with 3 lugnuts... which could rust in.

In my pickups I always made a point of setting the spare underneath with the valve facing the bumper to make it easy to fill.

..... But, I always have a can or two of Fix-A-Flat in the vehicle... and I also keep a plug kit in the vehicle too, only takes 2 minutes to plug a nailhole.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.