Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Trickle charge set up with solar panels

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  NyVan 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Looking to set up a panel on my shed to power a trickle charge to my generator battery for a key start.

I'm not handy with electric.

Please help me figure what I need and how it should be set up.

Again. Just to charge my battery for the gen starter.
Bonus would be to have a small light source in the shed.

#2 ·
#4 ·
well holy guacamole!!!
U rock sir. I'm thinking I was over thinking this.
Was thinking it was much more involved

#6 ·
awesome. I was looking at these and couldn't find anything on package that said anything about the overcharging cutoff. Must have ability to sense when it fully charged as to not kill battery. Do u have this and does it cut off when fully charged?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you using a full size car battery (usu about 60-80aHrs), you'll prob not have a problem.... As max output of the solar panels is really closer to 60% of rated output.
In the 5w model as shown, Overall you may expect about an avg of 200ma in good weather instead of its rated 350ma.

Pumping this into a normal car battery is a very small amount compared to it's power output ( 60-80ahrs for a car battery)... a small generator starter battery may be in the range of 7-10 ahrs ... but after week or so even 200ma (.2a) will charge up a smaller battery.

BUT, to prevent overcharging and to be safe you should add a charge controller...
The solar panels can put out up to 17-20+v when not under load or the battery is fully charged. Long term, this high voltage can damage the battery, esp is on the smaller size..

As to shed light, look for LED string or LED lighting... low drain and last a long time.

#12 ·
Follow up as I'm ready to move on this.
Would I be better off using this.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50033-15-Watt-Solar-Charging/dp/B001RJOP5Y/ref=pd_sim_auto_9
I've decided on not only charging my gen battery but to also run an inverter to power some led light.
So trickle to gen battery and car battery. The car battery to run the inverter to power lights and maybe a charger.

Am I thinking along the right path or do I have it way wrong. Do I have enough power with a 15 watt 7 amp panel to do this? I wouldn't really use the light internally but would like to use a small motion for the outside.

Thx guys. I often his LIF before google. Get a lot of solid info from reliable sources here.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Follow up as I'm ready to move on this.
Would I be better off using this.
http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_auto_9
I've decided on not only charging my gen battery but to also run an inverter to power some led light.
So trickle to gen battery and car battery. The car battery to run the inverter to power lights and maybe a charger.

Am I thinking along the right path or do I have it way wrong. Do I have enough power with a 15 watt 7 amp panel to do this? I wouldn't really use the light internally but would like to use a small motion for the outside.

Thx guys. I often his LIF before google. Get a lot of solid info from reliable sources here.
Get a 12V panel at about 10Watts. (ebay - 12V Solar Panel) Get a charge controller with a blocking diode so that the panel is not a drain at night. (ebay - 12V Solar Charge Controller) Use 12v DC LED lights so that you don't need an inverter. (ebay - 12v LED) Blam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.