Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Arborists!

I need some help figuring out what's growing in my backyard. I don't know if they're new trees that are growing or if they're weeds taking over.

These first 2 pictures are on the same "tree". Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Annual plant
Plant Terrestrial plant Flower Flowering plant Tree

This 3rd pic is a separate "tree". Plant Terrestrial plant Flower Tree Flowering plant

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Neal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I am the wrong person to ask. I have the best weeds in town.
If you take the leaves or pics to a local nursery they have a book from Ortho that describes almost everything.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Hard to tell just off the leaves. Check out an online identification guide like the arbor day one, they walk you through it (the split of branches, shape of buds and young twigs, etc. all factor in id-ing).

https://www.arborday...trees/whattree/

As someone with a 1,000 trees in his yard I can tell you many saplings do look like weeds. I have tons of small 1-2ft oaks growing in my trails in the rich woods compost (similar to your last pic which looks like an oak sapling ) and even my larger japanese maples dump little 2 footers in my landscaping that I often yank out like weeds. I should put them in 5 gallon buckets and sell them. To your point, all young trees look like weeds and essentially are (any large oak or maple with drop 1000s of seeds that will take if left along).

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
Sassafras

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right! So tree #2 is sassafras. Let it grow, right?

I'll post more picks tonight. You guys are good. I hope you can identify #1.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
If you yank on them, and they pull out easy, they're weeds. Young trees have good roots, and will require a pretty strong tug to get them out.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
All right! So tree #2 is sassafras. Let it grow, right?

I'll post more picks tonight. You guys are good. I hope you can identify #1.
Sassafras grows like a weed. If you cut it down it will only become more powerful...

Seriously though. If you cut a sapling down a few sprouts will grow from it.

FWIW my goats loooove sassafras.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
Mulberry will grow 25-30 ft high, produces scads of edible purple berries attracts birds and can get a bit messy. Sassafras has uses also, your call as to what to do

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
SASSAFRAS?

If this is Sassafras someone send me the recipe for root beer and molly.
My back yard is full of this.

Traditionally used to flavor root beer (along with Sarsparilla root and birch bark). (still used in homemade root beer recipes. google homemade root beer).

Source for Safrole oil a main precursor in synthesizing the drug, Ecstasy (aka MDMA aka Molly).
https://en.wikipedia...DMA_manufacture

Safrole can be deadly.
The volatile oil of sassafras, which contains safrole, was also used to combat assorted ailments, the usual dosage being from one to five drops in boiled water. More than this small amount of essence could be dangerous: One teaspoon of the pure oil is enough to cause vomiting, dilated pupils, stupor, spontaneous abortion, collapse, and even death!
In beverages and candy, sassafras was used in the past to flavor root beer. It was also used as a tea. But sassafras tea contains a lot of safrole, the chemical in sassafras that makes it poisonous. One cup of tea made with 2.5 grams of sassafras contains about 200 mg of safrole.
http://www.motherear...az83jazshe.aspx

Used as a medicinal plant for various ailments.

Despite serious safety concerns, sassafras is used for urinary tract disorders, swelling in the nose and throat, syphilis, bronchitis, high blood pressure in older people, gout, arthritis, skin problems, and cancer. It is also used as a tonic and "blood purifier."
http://www.webmd.com...tname=sassafras

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK - I think we're all in agreement that this is Sassafras. Nicely done..
Plant Tree Land lot Grass Woody plant

Still not sure about this one. The larger one on the left is the full view of the first two leaves I posted above.
Plant Plant community Branch Shade Grass

When the neighbors moved in, they ripped out all of the shrubs that were on their side of the property line. Now, everyone passing has a clear view into my backyard. Zero privacy on that side. I put in about 30 arborvitaes on the other side. I was thinking about doing the same here. But if these will fill in, It'll save me a couple of grand for now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.