Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
The fundamental problem with all this is these are cases that arrests should never have happened. I get that under the letter of the law a PA CO isn't covered under LEOSA in NY or NJ. However, there are good reasons for a PA CO to carry while off duty. Considering PA and NJ and NY border each other (and it's not like crossing the border to another country), it is not unreasonable for officers from either state to end up just over the border of either state. Perhaps back and forth through the course of a day. Surely he can't be expected to keep locking his gun up or bringing it home each time. Some common sense should prevail in these cases and officers from any of these states, whether covered under the letter of the LEOSA law or not should be allowed to carry across the borders. If a PA CO is hit by a drunk driver you don't throw the book at him over carrying while across the border.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,085 Posts
Doing a little research, ya'all would find out that traveling through New Jersey with hollowpoints to use them to hunt, target shoot or compete, is legal.

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml

Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit

P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068
609-882-2000 Extension 2290 (Phone)
609-406-9826 Fax

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).
Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1. A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
  2. A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
  3. A person going directly to a target range, and;
  4. A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
The fundamental problem with all this is these are cases that arrests should never have happened. I get that under the letter of the law a PA CO isn't covered under LEOSA in NY or NJ. However, there are good reasons for a PA CO to carry while off duty. Considering PA and NJ and NY border each other (and it's not like crossing the border to another country), it is not unreasonable for officers from either state to end up just over the border of either state. Perhaps back and forth through the course of a day. Surely he can't be expected to keep locking his gun up or bringing it home each time. Some common sense should prevail in these cases and officers from any of these states, whether covered under the letter of the LEOSA law or not should be allowed to carry across the borders. If a PA CO is hit by a drunk driver you don't throw the book at him over carrying while across the border.
A Pennsylvania Correction Officer is Forbidden to bring a firearm to prison. They need a home state LTC for concealed carry when they leave work. They are not issued a sidearm to carry off duty.

·
Registered
659 Posts
ALMOST correct. The case was not in regards to the ammo, it was in regards to the gun. Since he was not covered under LEOSA he had no authority to carry concealed in PA. The gun was discovered when he was transported to the hospital.

However, I believe Christie was still Governor and they made the case go away.
Yes, but he was also charged for having the HP ammo. So, there is relevancy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A Pennsylvania Correction Officer is Forbidden to bring a firearm to prison. They need a home state LTC for concealed carry when they leave work. They are not issued a sidearm to carry off duty.
Right, but it's the kind of job where you need to carry while off duty. For the same reason that Judges and DAs or anyone that has had threats to their life made.

The fundamental problem is with bordering states where travel in and out is common, there needs to be some common sense to the gun laws. My opinion probably doesn't matter but I don't think it's a reasonable expectation that someone that carries and has a carry license should have to go home, drop off their gun, cross the boarder, then go back home, etc. etc. We aren't talking road trips. It's just like passing between Nassau and Suffolk. I probably do it 3 times a day.

As a further example. Lets say you are involved in a traffic accident (similar to the CO one that was being discussed). The accident happens in PA but the closest hospital they bring you to is in NJ. They charge you with possession? Simply stupid. Especially since you were brought there by ambulance and without choice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Before LEOSA there was a case involving many NYPD cops who lived in Pearl River, were required to carry off duty, and had to go WAY out of their way to not pass through NJ. They lost.
Well there you have it. They keep talking about "common sense" gun control laws. This is about as far from common sense as there is.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Before LEOSA there was a case involving many NYPD cops who lived in Pearl River, were required to carry off duty, and had to go WAY out of their way to not pass through NJ. They lost.
If I recall, many prosecutors didn't follow through these cases. You took a risk pre 2004 as an off duty LEO traveling outside the state . I remember HR218 became law because of the terrorist attacks. It was to authorize retired Qualified LEO to be able to stop these threats.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If I recall, many prosecutors didn't follow through these cases. You took a risk pre 2004 as an off duty LEO traveling outside the state . I remember HR218 became law because of the terrorist attacks. It was to authorize retired Qualified LEO to be able to stop these threats.
You are correct. Absent other criminal activity, even DUI's, there were no prosecutions that I could recall or find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the answer to your first question is no. The Nassau County Police Department's website says that a Nassau County permit is only valid in Nassau County. As for your second question, I'm not sure. I would check with the Nassau County Police Department or the Pennsylvania State Police to be sure. If I were in your shoes, I would better choose to go on a vacation at 30a Florida. I prefer to relax and chill than assume the risk of being stopped and cuffed.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,051 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the answer to your first question is no. The Nassau County Police Department's website says that a Nassau County permit is only valid in Nassau County. As for your second question, I'm not sure. I would check with the Nassau County Police Department or the Pennsylvania State Police to be sure. If I were in your shoes, I would better choose to go on a vacation at 30a Florida. I prefer to relax and chill than assume the risk of being stopped and cuffed.
I am not a lawyer. Refer to 926 A of the US Code Title 18 . Interstate transpertation of Firearms . I don't know if it applies to all interstate transportation situautions but is worth reading.
Per NYSRPA v Bruen, your handgun license is valid in all 50 states and DC, plus all US territories. If you prefer not to rely on the Bruen decision, then check with the PD in the area you're planning to go. The Bruen decision applied the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, to your license.
Gary

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would love to comment on this, but I would say the OP has been back from his vacation for over a year and half.

But since I am committed, here goes:

1) With a Nassau Permit, can I travel to Pa. to go target shooting?

Legally, yes. No matter what Nassau says. However, you cannot carry the gun concealed and on your person with a PA permit or one recognized by PA, which is not many unless you have residency in that third party state, like say NH.

2) I heard ammo is available in Pa. Is it legal to buy ammo in Pa. and bring it back to NY in your car?

Yes, but beware of brining hollow points through New Jersey. I would suggest a lockable case for the trunk and lockable lips for the driver.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
just apply for the pa license.https://pa-waynecounty.civicplus.com/509/License-to-Carry-Information-Application you should have it in about 14 days and only $20
Yeah...and a million hour car ride and two trips to PA.

What will interesting to me with regard to PA is that, now that everyone in NYS with a carry license is "Full Carry"/"Unrestricted," will those PA counties that didn't grant license to Sportsman type folks now do it.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Yeah...and a million hour car ride and two trips to PA.

What will interesting to me with regard to PA is that, now that everyone in NYS with a carry license is "Full Carry"/"Unrestricted," will those PA counties that didn't grant license to Sportsman type folks now do it.
Centre County is one trip. Wayne County has an online application. It requires two character references. Honesdale Pennsyvania is much closer.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Still a long-ass trip, but good to know about Wayne County. Still almost 4 hours away, but doable.

So do you fill out the app online and then go to pick it up?
Yes, I had two friends who were coming to my property upstate to hunt. They did the online application and both of the character references faxed it over. They went to Honesdale in person to get the PA LTC.
From the Nassau Suffolk border it’s 2 hours and 45 minutes away.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts